Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Supernitor 1.5/50 Microtecnica Torino, a rival of Helios-40
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Supernitor 1.5/50 Microtecnica Torino, a rival of Helios-40 Reply with quote

Supernitor 1.5/50 is a curious and seemingly rare bird.

Coming from an Italian maker, this projection glass offers a slightly different way of rendering as compared to some more common French and German models, such as for instance 50mm Som Berthiot and Benoist Berthiot for 16mm film. While the latter tend to give a "crazy" swirl visible already in the middle of the frame, Supernitor gives a smoother transition from extremely sharp center to swirly edges.

This way it lets to be an eventual replacement of Helios-40 for APS-C. Well, not precisely, besides the vignetting is well pronounced, and still this allusion comes to mind. Especially when you look at close-ups which have virtually no swirl and a strong OOF dissolution, similar to Helios-40.

My copy is far from being in a perfect state, some traces of lost coating are visible on both front and rear glass. Nevertheless I am impressed by its rendering capacity. In this way it justifies its name abbreviating, I suppose, the italian "nitido" which comes for "neat".

The lens is put in a Chinese helicoid which is put on Sony Nex. PP in exposure and contrast department, especially important to reduce the exposure easily arriving to its max value with such a fast glass.

If you find it interesting, I'll put on the photo of the lens itself.

Another particularity of this lens is its flare pattern. Directed against light sources, both sun and artificial, it catches bright halo lines from each source which would not be commonly circular but in a shape of wave.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Supernitor 1.5/50 Microtecnica Torino, a rival of Helios Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Supernitor 1.5/50 is a curious and seemingly rare bird.

Coming from an Italian maker, this projection glass offers a slightly different way of rendering as compared to some more common French and German models, such as for instance 50mm Som Berthiot and Benoist Berthiot for 16mm film. While the latter tend to give a "crazy" swirl visible already in the middle of the frame, Supernitor gives a smoother transition from extremely sharp center to swirly edges.

This way it lets to be an eventual replacement of Helios-40 for APS-C. Well, not precisely, besides the vignetting is well pronounced, and still this allusion comes to mind. Especially when you look at close-ups which have virtually no swirl and a strong OOF dissolution, similar to Helios-40.

My copy is far from being in a perfect state, some traces of lost coating are visible on both front and rear glass. Nevertheless I am impressed by its rendering capacity. In this way it justifies its name abbreviating, I suppose, the italian "nitido" which comes for "neat".

The lens is put in a Chinese helicoid which is put on Sony Nex. PP in exposure and contrast department, especially important to reduce the exposure easily arriving to its max value with such a fast glass.

If you find it interesting, I'll put on the photo of the lens itself.

Another particularity of this lens is its flare pattern. Directed against light sources, both sun and artificial, it catches bright halo lines from each source which would not be commonly circular but in a shape of wave.

Love this shot in particular - great use of this interesting lens! Like 1

And the things with the wave shapes of light is fascinating as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! I like you liked the light waves too.

Here are other test shots from this lens in

#1 Close field

#2 Further

#3 At infinity

In all the cases the exposure is negatively compensated in PP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 creative!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fellows!

And now some night time cityscapes.