Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

aus Jena 210mm f/4.5 Tessar large format lens on Sony A7R2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: aus Jena 210mm f/4.5 Tessar large format lens on Sony A7R2 Reply with quote

RAFCAMERA made an adapter for me to adapt my aus Jena 210/4.5 Tessar large format lens to an M42 bellows.

These are the first results (clickable for full size).

Tessar21045J_10 by Tessar21045J_7 by devoscasper, on Flickrr.com/photos/55691955@N05/]devoscasper[/url], on Flickr

Tessar21045J_9 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Tessar21045J_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Tessar21045J by devoscasper, on Flickr

Tessar21045J_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Tessar21045J_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I have an 8.25" Ross Xpress I remounted that renders very similarly. It's a tessar type of course.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth the effort! Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will do some more tests later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was some shift adapter option for these, that would be great (although I'm not so sure how convenient it would be in any real life scenario). I imagine some bellows with limited or even full movement, like on a large format camera; probably an overkill for FF but still a fun idea. Seems like a decent performing lens considering how much more demanding a small (relative to film) sensor is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
If there was some shift adapter option for these, that would be great (although I'm not so sure how convenient it would be in any real life scenario). I imagine some bellows with limited or even full movement, like on a large format camera; probably an overkill for FF but still a fun idea. Seems like a decent performing lens considering how much more demanding a small (relative to film) sensor is.

Yeah, it would however be more useful with something a bit more wideangle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, two days ago I have been playing with a few pre-WW Tessars as well - not only with the well known 2.8/5cm, but also with the f4.5 Tessars 13.5 cm, 15cm, 18cm and 21cm. In addition I have been testing my only f6.3 Tessar, the Tessar 6.3/12cm.

Especially the latter has been stunning. On 43 MP FF, it was perfectly sharp over the entire FF frame. No CA at all (!), but relatively low contrast due to missing coatings (lens from 1928) and slight fogging in the front element.

Images will follow later on.

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The excellence of the 6.3 tessar has been known for a century . The f4.5 version may have been the big seller, but the 6.3 was preferred by many conoisseur photographers, not just for it's greater IQ but also it's useful wider angle of coverage - 70 degrees for the 6.3, only 50 for the f4.5.