Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica Minister III related request
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Yashica Minister III related request Reply with quote

Anyone on this forum having a Yashica Minister III camera?

There is some confusing information on the web about its Yashinon 45mm 2.8 lens design. Most sources indicate a 5 elements 4 groups design but I also see 4 elements 3 groups mentioned, so a Tessar design. My gut feeling is that the 5 elements 4 groups description is not correct but the web is famous for multiplying any info fast. I do not have access to a Minister III so can not check it myself.

If it is a 5/4 it most likely will be similar to the Yashica 35 and Yashica 35 YL rangefinder lenses, both Biometar/Xenotar designs. A spotlight shining at the front (closed aperture) then should give 4 clear reflections and 1 faint reflection of the cemented surfaces. The rear should yield 4 clear reflections, different sizes per pair.
For a Tessar: 4 clear reflections at the front and 2 clear, 1 faint at the rear.

I appreciate any info related to this request.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only confirm classic Tessar cemented doublet on rear side (behind the shutter blades). This one can be easily unscrewed and looks like single element but it is not the case (i had separation on mine).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I can only confirm classic Tessar cemented doublet on rear side (behind the shutter blades). This one can be easily unscrewed and looks like single element but it is not the case (i had separation on mine).

Thank you. Expected this but nice to have it confirmed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Though there might be a deviation from the normal Tessar. The Yashica 35 Guide says it should have 5 elements 4 groups. With a Tessar group at the rear then three separate elements at the front is a possibility. Schneider Kreuznach used that design in the Reflex Korelle Xenar 75mm 2.8 possibly as a first company in the 1930's. Olympus in the Ace 45mm 2.8. There are also several 35mm fixed lens rangefinders that have that design. With Sonnars 40/38mm 2.8 for example. Olympus at least in two cameras.

Can you see 6 reflections at the front of the lens?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Will check it. I have few Ministers and other models that have the same Yashinon lens. Seeing your post i went into procedure of restoring them. Rangefinder cleaning and such.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Though there might be a deviation from the normal Tessar. The Yashica 35 Guide says it should have 5 elements 4 groups. With a Tessar group at the rear then three separate elements at the front is a possibility. Schneider Kreuznach used that design in the Reflex Korelle Xenar 75mm 2.8 possibly as a first company in the 1930's. Olympus in the Ace 45mm 2.8. There are also several 35mm fixed lens rangefinders that have that design. With Sonnars 40/38mm 2.8 for example. Olympus at least in two cameras.

Can you see 6 reflections at the front of the lens?

I have a Reflex Korelle with a fixed 2.8/8cm Xenar (uncoated). It clearly has only four reflexions in front of the aperture.

S

EDIT I just saw that the Reflex Korelle has a bayonet mount indeed. The Xenar 2.8/8cm, at portrait distances, is very soft, but details are quite good, and so is contrast. Bokeh is SUPER-SMOOTH!! Could be a really interesting "semi-soft-focus" portrait lens ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

4 reflections in front system. It is a Tessar type surely (at least on Minister). Here after few hours invested, rangefinder, shutter, lens cleaned:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this camera a long time ago.
It's a 5/4 lens.
DX and not DX verdions are the same lens, only the coated had change

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
It's a 5/4 lens.

Intriguing. What have i missed? Rear system surely 2 cemented elements and front has 4 reflections. So 4/3.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The messages here reflect what I have found on the web before; there is no definite confirmation whether the III (or D) has a 4 or 5 element lens. Could be that Yashica sold it with two types of 45mm 2.8 lenses. Could be that export ones had a 4 element lens.

Anyway, thank you for the replies so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
papasito wrote:
It's a 5/4 lens.

Intriguing. What have i missed? Rear system surely 2 cemented elements and front has 4 reflections. So 4/3.

Pancolart, Minister or Minister III ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
The messages here reflect what I have found on the web before; there is no definite confirmation whether the III (or D) has a 4 or 5 element lens. Could be that Yashica sold it with two types of 45mm 2.8 lenses. Could be that export ones had a 4 element lens.

According to (image copied from the link) http://yashicatlr.com/Yashica35.html
first version rangefinder 35 had Xenotar type 2.8/45mm, but latter Tessar type. Tessar probably stuck for all later models even those produced in Hong Kong.

Yashica YK
"Only the one lens was available, an f/2.8 4.5 cm. The well known website, www.collection-appareils.fr, suggests that the lens is 4 elements in 3 groups, i.e. probably a Tessar, which is still a solid choice and wouldn't surprise me, and this Japanese website, www.asahi-net.or.jp, and Japanese Wikipedia claim the same."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

According to (image copied from the link) http://yashicatlr.com/Yashica35.html
first version rangefinder 35 had Xenotar type 2.8/45mm, but latter Tessar type. Tessar probably stuck for all later models even those produced in Hong Kong.

Yashica YK
"Only the one lens was available, an f/2.8 4.5 cm. The well known website, www.collection-appareils.fr, suggests that the lens is 4 elements in 3 groups, i.e. probably a Tessar, which is still a solid choice and wouldn't surprise me, and this Japanese website, www.asahi-net.or.jp, and Japanese Wikipedia claim the same."

Next to the Yashica 35, the Yashica 35 YL should also have the Xenotar type. The YK has a Tessar type, I have that one converted to Sony FE mount.