Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

7artisans & Mitakon 35mm f0.95
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: 7artisans & Mitakon 35mm f0.95 Reply with quote

I hope i am not repeating question but does anyone know is this actually the same lens/optics? Anyone compared optical schemes? Checked many reviews and results are very similar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 7artisans & Mitakon 35mm f0.95 Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I hope i am not repeating question but does anyone know is this actually the same lens/optics? Anyone compared optical schemes? Checked many reviews and results are very similar.

Not the same. 7Artisans claims to have 2 ultra low dispersion elements; Mitakon claims to have 2 extra refractive index elements and 1 extra-low dispersion element. Also, the bodies are completely different; different number of aperture blades, different filter size.

I only have the ZY 35 Speedmaster 0.95 Mk.II (it's excellent) for Fuji, so I can't honestly compare it to the 7Artisans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7Artisans and Mitakon - ZY Optics are different companies producing different lenses, as much as people euphemistically group them together.

I would post diagrams but not needed to prove the point.

For superfast lenses equivalent to 50mm (which these are), there has been a few popular designs in recent memory, of which these are a part of. All lenses have common types of course, just wanted to add further detail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have the same design philosophy, the result will be similar. Remember, the Mitakon 50/0.95 for Sony E is the first F0.95 lens produced for MILCs. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same.
If it's interesting, the 7artisans very nearly covers FF (albeit with strong field curvature, virtually nullifying the fast aperture for separation). The Mitakon does not, by far.
IIRC, the 7artisans is quite a bit sharper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
7Artisans and Mitakon - ZY Optics are different companies producing different lenses, as much as people euphemistically group them together.

I would post diagrams but not needed to prove the point.

For superfast lenses equivalent to 50mm (which these are), there has been a few popular designs in recent memory, of which these are a part of. All lenses have common types of course, just wanted to add further detail.

Thank you for clarifying. Well it would not be the first time for companies to cooperate on such project. One making great product other offering distribution support for instance. And minor body modifications to make it different on market. Not case here obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
Not the same.
If it's interesting, the 7artisans very nearly covers FF (albeit with strong field curvature, virtually nullifying the fast aperture for separation). The Mitakon does not, by far.

Nice! This gives edge to 7artisans for me. Saw Laowa 33mm samples on full frame. Very intriguing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
Not the same.

Hmmm…. I was under the impression the Mitakon is the sharper lens and has less color cast issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mk.I Speedmaster IIRC was a bit soft. The 7Artisans is probably sharper than this one.

The Mk.II Speedmaster however is extremely sharp.