Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor "S" 35mm f 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Nikkor "S" 35mm f 2.8 Reply with quote

A few test shots with this recent acquisition.

Wide open at f2.8 here, and about 2 feet from the image plane.
Some wind induced motion blur here even at 1/250 sec.

Center crop of image above.
Some slight purple fringing here, but much better than I was expecting from the single coated glass.

Icing over Sturgeon Creek.
At f5.6 and nearly to the infinity stop.
Apart from some slight filterless and hoodless vignetting, not much wrong with this banged up old campaigner. The 35mm focal length is fairly new to me. This is my first prime of this length, and I am liking it a lot.
It tends to flare quite a bit towards direct sunlight.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor "S" 35mm f 2.8 Reply with quote

Sweet bokeh. Those early 35mm retro focus lenses always comes with some character.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor "S" 35mm f 2.8 Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
A few test shots with this recent acquisition.
The 35mm focal length is fairly new to me. This is my first prime of this length, and I am liking it a lot.
-D.S.

Would be interesting to know whether you have the first orthe secon computation:
https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0038/index.htm

blotafton wrote:
Sweet bokeh. Those early 35mm retro focus lenses always comes with some character.

Absolutely. It's the same with the early [7L] computations of the Rokkor 2.8/35mm and the early versions of the Konica Hexanon 2.8/35mm. The Topcor RE 2.8/35 wasn't better, either. Canon wisely did offer only a f3.5 version in its FL / FD lineup (the fast 35mm lenses such as FD 2/35, MC 1.8/35, Nikkor 1.4/35 and 2/35 and Hexanon 2/35 are - with exeption of the Rokkor - even worse than the slower early 35mm retrofocus lenses).

Only when around 1975 the more modern constructions were introduced, the 2.8/35mm retrofocus lenses became really good. Examples I'm aware of are the [5L] MC/MD Rokkor 2.8/35mm, the corrsponding Canon nFD 2.8/35, the late [5L] Hexanon 2.8/35, the yasica ML 2.8/35, and probably also the Zeiss Distagon CY 2.8/35 and Nikkor Ai/AiS 2.8/35. Not to forget the late Mamiya E/ES 2.8/35mm Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly certain it's a late 2nd optical computation, with '66-'67 manufacture.
I had some brief discussion with Roland V. over some of the non-optical mechanics and markings of this one, and it appears to be a late lens in it's series.
I'm very comfortable with the bokeh this lens provides~ the gently muted back-grounds have been long my preference.
I have a "Q" 135mm f 3.5 that has similar wide-open performance.
It is not a perfect lens- curvature is actually quite evident in the center of the ice and water image.
The most surprising thing about this character lens is the way it handles reflections.
I had been expecting much worse, to be honest.
I think this one is a keeper.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens is a favorite. It was one of my first lenses for my F2 back in the late '70s, and it finally bit the dust perhaps 10 years ago after more than 30 years of hard use. So I bought another one! The first image was taken in 1982 during a motorcycle trip from Anchorage, Alaska to Key West, Florida. We stopped in North Carolina to see a friend who took us to a tobacco grading barn -- I found several rolls of film from that trip in a box this summer and finally had them developed. The second image is of my mother a few months before her death this summer. It was taken with my second copy of this lens on a Nikon D5500. I think it's a fantastic lens on film or digital.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last image is something else Gaeger.
Thanks for sharing.
Like 1 Like 1

The old early F type aperture ring actually slips under the D-810's aperture tab.
Until I can fabricate and mount a tab on the ring to engage the lever on the camera, I'll be putting it up for a while.
I had the D-810 doing stop-down metering with it briefly, and then it quit.
Could be rapid temperature change causing the camera tab to snag up on the ring- I'm not sure.
At any rate, it's a lens that I am quite enamored with.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Nikon 35MM f2.8 Non-AI Reply with quote

Took my oldest 35MM lens out one snowy and gloomy day here in Las Vegas, NV (a rare thing) and played with it just for fun in my backyard. Attached to my Canon T5, I was quite pleased with the results from a lens that was made in late 1968, sitting in my old camera bag since the late 90's and performs as well the first time out in over 20 years.

A testament as to how well these lenses were made and continue to perform even with advanced age.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too. I am finding that it is better for 'in-person' portraits than for landscapes.
As for some reason I cannot get to render sharp details when focused to infinity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ts1000 wrote:
I have this lens too. I am finding that it is better for 'in-person' portraits than for landscapes.
As for some reason I cannot get to render sharp details when focused to infinity.

Mine requires a bit of care to focus~ like most older Nikkor lenses, it will focus slightly "past infinity".

I'll look for, or make a center crop of the ice and water image above.
The infinity stop is just past 5 meters on the metric only focusing scale.

Edit:

Some crops from a similar frame. The image above has been drastically re-sized, and it is not suitable for deep cropping.

About a 100% crop of image center from a similar frame.

Pixel peeping here shows better than acceptable center sharpness.
Subject distance was a great deal further than the 5 meters on the scale- I'd put it at at least 15 meters.
These images were taken at not quite the hard infinity stop.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old pre-AI 35mm f/2 that I've owned for over 30 years. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that it has spent most of its time with me either in a camera bag or in my photo cabinet at home. I can't recall the last time I used it. This thread prompts me to pull it out and play around with it some now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have an old pre-AI 35mm f/2 that I've owned for over 30 years. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that it has spent most of its time with me either in a camera bag or in my photo cabinet at home. I can't recall the last time I used it. This thread prompts me to pull it out and play around with it some now.

Post some results, and a photo of your lens!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Mine requires a bit of care to focus~ like most older Nikkor lenses, it will focus slightly "past infinity".
... hard infinity stop.

-D.S.

May be that's what the problem was. I typically just turn the dial to infinity sign, and hope for the best
I have to retest this, may be even try with different adapters -- it seems that just a slight variation
in the adapter size may greatly affect focus (and sharpness, therefore) at infinity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a landscape here.
I finally figured out a way to A/I convert this one. Wink

Other than a slight crop and re-size, no manipulation.
F5.6 at ISO 125 and still not quite to the hard infinity stop, but close.

A couple of increasingly tighter crops.

-D.S.