Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

adapters to reach infinity on ef for cy and m42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: adapters to reach infinity on ef for cy and m42 Reply with quote

For m42 i have reduced the thickness of the adapter a little bit, but is there a way to do the same for cy adapters?
How do o test each lens if they truly reach infinity ir sonethung near with my camera?
Is it possible that each lens needs a different thickness of the adapter that they are not notmed?

I do have for m42 the yashica 135 dx which does only reach infinity with thinner adapter, tge yashinon 50dx whichbis almost right out of the box and the yashinon 28ml where i do need to look where infinit focus is. Sometimes i works sometimes not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for me, you are going to have to explain better. I first started messin' with MF lenses wiith my old Canon Xt, bought?? about 06-07 I guess. Since then, I've had 40D, 7D, SL-1, T7. and now 5D, 5D MkII and now Mk IV. I have NEVER had infinity issues with any M42 adapter, some of them a bit sloppy. I only have one CY adapter, and only a couple of CY/ Yashica lenses, but I've had no trouble with them, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May i know which adapter you have got? Most adapter sold in the market will be slightly shorter than ideal to ensure compatibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 Adapter

Cy aDAPTER

Do you know which adapter on *Bay is good? Did buy some ef lens caps so i`d like to buy m42 ef adapters that are working easier than this modded one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one or two M42 lenses that wouldn't quite focus to infinity on M42 bodies. They got close enough that a 6x4 print would look focused. Sample variation probably accounts for this, they might be just OK on some bodies and might have been fractionally longer than most other examples of the lens...

I probably should have tried the lens on another body, but in all honesty I'm more likely to use them on digital & most of my adapters are short enough the focus goes beyond infinity.
The decent PK mount ones use the PK flange, so show no change in registration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedxca93 wrote:

Cy aDAPTER

Do you know which adapter on *Bay is good? Did buy some ef lens caps so i`d like to buy m42 ef adapters that are working easier than this modded one.

I have a similar adapter many years ago. It is not very good IMHO.

You may consider the one from Yeenon Click here to see on Ebay . K&F adapter are not bad for their price Click here to see on Ebay . May be someone else here have more experience than me?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Real infinity- at 7.8 km or 10 or extraterrestrial Reply with quote

I have a deep discussion on pentaxforums. there using P67 lenses on a new P6(M68-adapter-two versions since P6 and K60 series have different pitches M68 threads.
I am betatester and in principle only screws must be exchanged, collimation done to be sure lenses are not deadjusted.
also astro-people giving their wisdom.
i tested our tv-tower at 7.8km with 200mm lenses P67, Zeiss C/Y on K+F concept(the best one for EOS) maybe rayqual but its similar if not identical.

i was sure the lenses must be very sharp. i had the 180/2.8 zeiss. I was not satisfied since last sharpness not achieved at f8 and f11. best apertures for that distance. closer also f16 can be used on digital.
The reason why analoge MFocus-lenses dont reach infinity is this. they are made for IR-sensitive film. sensors arent zeiss told me.
Thats why Zeiss has their newest lenses made with a bit shorter register. novoflex P67-adapter-system is a bit shorter they confirmed. K+F concept.P67 pls forget is made for filmcamera. not made shorter. and tripod-mount. remove it since wobbly design. they forgot to add loctite to the screws. many problems.
cannot post all the findings. read in Pentaxforums at pentacon six FB details only on pentaxforums.
How i really found out my 200mm lenses(300mm will be tested later) are not reaching infinity?
I remember the novoflex noflexar 200/3.8 focusstop-knob is terrible to nail since its going out of focus when tightening. at infinity stop no problem- there one can see its made to go beyond and novoflex confirmed. i even needed to take a shot, i could see its sharp and when going to stop unsharp. going beyond. of course i will repeat and compare.
Have also 100m target here. also troubles with focus-nailing. maybe liveview maybe roof atmospere. can now verify if antenne is moving. since i have verticals to compare. its the perfect target since has all needed fine lines.
yes i dont test infinity at 100m its telling me if infinity can be reached. its a deeper discussing which i will not repeat here. about focus-shift. reliable scale. see also vivitar 450/4.5 thread.
NB: I have DSRLExchange C/Y-EOS adapters(4) this is the best one. but since mirrorclearing on FF EOS DSRL( a bit thicker) it cannot reach infinity.NB: 200mm lenses reach 2.7km no problem. i had my cam/lens-kit laying on a flat stone with inflatiabledecubitus pillow. did 30 secs shots perfectly sharp. EOS 60D 18MP.
i have a lot of adapters. and lenses. both novoflex followfocus B and C where infinity inc. extraterrestrial can be adjusted.
best and easy adjustement can be made on pre-system B tube. fotosniper copied it. depending heads infinity can be easily adjusted. above all when bellows are used. a lot of adapter-options.
Both noflexars 400 achromat and 600 match. T-noflexar 400/5.6 covers 6x6 needs tape or adapter which we will make.
i have multiple NI-EOS adapters also for C/Y and backwards. Ni-CY needs NI-M42 and M42 ring. yes no infinity but with longer lenses 450/500mm impressive 34m or a bit longer can be reached.
Because of the digital-infinity-problem leitax has shorter mounts. e.g. C/Y-EOS, Canon R, Sony E. Not tested yet. but will do one day with C/Y-EOS non MM-lenses here. check his site. yes there are restrictions and some Zeiss lenses cannot be converted.
Its is advised not to combine adapters. some adaptere here are really wobbly. also the big P67(Ni and EOS here).
there are adapters where they reflected about that problem e.g. i have some P6-adapters- i am delighted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Real infinity- at 7.8 km or 10 or extraterrestrial Reply with quote

europanorama wrote:

The reason why analoge MFocus-lenses dont reach infinity is this. they are made for IR-sensitive film. sensors arent zeiss told me.
Thats why Zeiss has their newest lenses made with a bit shorter register.

I don't know what 'Zeiss' are thinking of here but film is normally not at all sensitive to IR (special IR sensitive films do exist but these are fairly rare & don't keep well). Digital sensors on the other hand are quite sensitive to IR and so are usually fitted with hot mirrors to block IR. I have several cameras with this hot mirror removed to enable IR photography.
Many of my legacy lenses have IR marks to enable focus in IR, but I have never seen a photographic lens that will not focus visible light too using the lenses standard marks. Manual focus in infra red film being done by focusing visual light then shifting the distance scale that is against the visual mark to the IR one instead.
The focus of a lens relies on the glass of the lens and has nothing to do with the recording medium.
The newest lenses are made to shorter registers because modern mirrorless cameras have shorter registration (not needing to fit in the mirror) any sold for DSLRs will need the same register as those for the same mount in film SLRs.
It sounds like the 'Zeiss' person you spoke to was a sales person with little or no knowledge of optics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: variable register adapters-Adapter makers: WAKE UP! Reply with quote

Fotodiox now launced adapter with helicoid to go closer. if there new adapter is made a bit shorter it would go beyond infinity and could correct possible deadjusted lenses on this behalf.
i have made variable register adapterS by combining two. Front P67-

Adapter-makers: WAKE UP QUICKLY! and check if old lenses reach infinity. not 500m not 3km but 8, 10km or extraterrestrial distance.
Novoflex, Leica, Zeiss an certainly others agree old lenses which are not made going beyond infinity will not reach it.
Newest found: Tested yesterday at 7.8km or approx. since i change place.
couldnt mount camera on pod so its only relative sharpness. finding out if lens reaches really infinity.
K+F concept P67-EF-adapter APS-C camera. P67 new lenses 300/4 and 300/4 grey star. the latter clearly goes beyond infinity. 8km at about 1mm to the right of laying inf, ∞,
next is comparing all lenses with all adapters.variable register adapter already tested with right screws.see pentaxforums dot com. measured a range of about 1,2mm with 0.9mm in the minus(register distance)
Here P67-lenses on DSRL/ML. using M68-adapter on camera-part of P6-adapters(not every one matches) must have M68-thread inside two pitch versions pls go to pentaxforums dot com for details.
if one want huge prints sharpness must be perfect. earlier photographers switched format instead of getting better lenses.

Last edited by europanorama on Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: variable register adapters-Adapter makers: WAKE UP! Reply with quote

europanorama wrote:
Fotodiox now launced adapter with helicoid to go closer. if there new adapter is made a bit shorter it would go beyond infinity and could correct possible deadjusted lenses on this behalf.

Adapter-makers: WAKE UP QUICKLY! and check if old lenses reach infinity. not 500m not 3km but 8, 10km or extraterrestrial distance.

99% of adapters have been made fractionally short for around the last 10 years (this ensures infinity focus). For most lenses if 500m is focused the moon will be. The only M42 adapter I have that doesn't reach infinity focus with regular M42 lenses is one with a helicoid (and brought over 10 years ago)
The tendency to make adapters deliberately short has proved inconvenient with a couple of short focal length lenses I have, where the focusing movement is only just enough to bring focus down to 100m - but at least it's easier to shim a short adapter than shorten a long one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: WRONG_short adapter=ADDING shim not shaving adapter Reply with quote

youtube is full of instructions how lenses are adjusted to reach infinity.
2. since i mentioned K+F Concept C/Y -EOS only 1.5 mm.
Around 2016 or also earlier in multiple forums i stated wrongly two strange things about limited focus of one lens and the K+F. KEEP THAT IN MIND. details below
i Had ongoing hole in right foramen of eye(location of sharpest viewing-focussing now not possible anymore) which i recognized in late 2017, surgery early 2018 failed. (3 options one different from the other.) will not try the 2 options since i need not better but best focussing. everything sharp with both eyes. have now new lens there, left to be followed one day. grey-star operation made at the same occasion.
I had not infinity here only 450m in sight.
wrong statements in forums: discussion about C/Y-EOS-adapters
a) sigma 28/1.8 aspherical highspeed wide does only focus to 40m is wrong. it can longer distances,infinity not tested yet.
b) K+F concept C/Y-EOS is going BEYOND infinity. WRONG too. i already added shim/tape. the same like above and i tested. it could go near infinity.
I compared Zeiss 200/3.5 and P67 200/4 new on both their K+F adapters(direct EOS or NI via its EOS-adapter, i used a very good adapter. Both images of TV-tower-building at perfect fstops f8 or f11 at 7.8km were identical sharp but not perfectly- at 2.7km- huge skyscraper and crane there is "infinity". these adapters dont focus over 2.7km. maybe a bit more til 4km. wil of course retest and shoot not viewing only with Noflexar 200/3.8. not easy since its going beyond infinity and only at its stop i can tighten precisely at focus-distances nearer i recognized when tightening image will go out of focus. since i dont have a 400mm helicoid lens to compare with i could one use the novoflex followfocus system B and pre B with their tube-focussing. both can go beyong infinity. on P67 on have 300/4 new and green star.
its not convenient to compare different FLs here 400 with 300. could get noflexar 280 to use on old tube-system but in dont know how sharp it is compared to the very sharp T-Noflexar 400/5.6 triplet which is covering 6x6. i cannot go into details now. all i can say is: with P67-lenses and new rafcamera M68 adapters(i have both normal and 0.6mm shorter) by combining with other M68-adapter-parts i can go beyond infinity for shure-lot of range. also with deadjusted P67 lenses. BE AWARE when trying to do yourself. RAFcamera P67-P6 and Kiev 60 adapters have different pitch 1F and 0.75F since they are used on these cameras with mount-ring removed. go to pentaxforums for my threads about that and reaching infinity. collimating must be done.
I used P6-Ni, EOS and M42 adapters and tool camera-parts to be attached to Rafcamera-M68-adapter for P67.
yes there are alternatives see pentaconsix dot com. better adding M68 thread to eighter K+F concept P67-PK or P645-adapters-both have outer-mount- i have the latter nonaltered. there no troubles with clamping!!!! at least two adapter-constructions reported on Mr Pentaconsix site. ask Trevor Allin which one he has.
Since September with interruptions i am betatestinmg this adapter. will get P6 beside K60. Next is getting perfect screws and hex-key which rafcamera cannot provide. stainless steel and with nylon-tip to avoid damaging.
New moumnting nstructions will come for best fit, no damaging of rim. First i need to know how your P67 lenses are looking like at level of aperture window at the mounting-side of adapter. discussion on pentaxforums.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Which Brand and which Models reach infinity? Reply with quote

Tell us which proved adapters reach infinity and which distance had been tested?
Remember: Real infinity is Moon or at least 8km with option to reach moon.
Will later also test Leitax C/Y(Zeiss)-EOS mount. maybe also via Nikon-Mount. some new combinations possible.
on one P6-Ni adapter i had to drill bigger the lens locker-hole.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which Brand and which Models reach infinity? Reply with quote

europanorama wrote:
Tell us which proved adapters reach infinity and which distance had been tested?
Remember: Real infinity is Moon or at least 8km with option to reach moon.
Will later also test Leitax C/Y(Zeiss)-EOS mount. maybe also via Nikon-Mount. some new combinations possible.
on one P6-Ni adapter i had to drill bigger the lens locker-hole.

More knowledgeable sources normally quote effective infinity as a function of focal length It's something like 1000x but I'm quite happy to work with 10000x with shorter focal lengths.
Using distances as long as 8km (or the moon) atmospheric turbulence becomes a major issue, the incoming rays are not effectively any closer to being parallel.

Rather than adapters I suspect the issue you've seen is with the lenses.
I've come across several that are nearer to the hyperfocal distance wide open than actual infinity. This works fine when the output matches that used for calculating hyperfocal distance, but isn't good enough for pixel peeping as now readily available. (My experience here could be down to sample variation, other examples of these lenses might actually focus to infinity) As long as the infinity is 'acceptably sharp' to whatever criteria the manufacturer sets the lens would be deemed OK.

Most of my adapters don't have the manufacturer logged on my spreadsheet, though among the ten I have there is one known to be from Pixco - a budget rather than top end supplier! I suspect as much as 3/4 of mine could be from the same manufacturer, but I definitely have variants.
If the difference in flange surfaces of the adapter is more than 1.46mm it will cause infinity focus issues - this distance is easily measured with calipers or a micrometer - the only one I have noted the distance on is 1.3mm which allows a huge margin for error!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we dont shoot infinity with turbulences. razorclear sky after rainshower
if we will enlarge WA shots very big it must be razorsharp at real large distance.
example horizon 202 or technopan(s3pro-like technique inside with old 202 lens without diffraction at f11/16): with fuji velvia developped in best water one can enlarge 600cm /6000mm wide. thats 6000/58=more than 60x. 220cm wide on FF.
i know what will look like an unsharp image with diffraction. and there are other issues in these rotapancamera reg. sharpness /DOF limits see my forum at(new domain) rotapancams dot net.
----------------------
one can really say: one should have real infinity lenses and those not reaching it. i am thinking of altering those which are important or getting new ones like Zeiss or Voigtlaender(Zeiss) which all go a bit beyond infinity which zeiss confirmed.
on YT is a video which explains altering an old 25mm Zeiss c/y. if MM i would do that since with leitax Nikon-mount i have a good universal WA. i only have AE Zeiss C/Y. meanwhile Leitax also has multiple adapters for these AEG AEJ(germany and japan) lenses.He confirmed they are all made shorter. i will check that.
I also used filmplane to check infinity. I wanted universal Groundglasses for all my formats. 679 for the larger one til 6x9 and 35mm. Rick oleson (Brightscreen) arned me not using the larger groundglass cut into FF-instead i am now using SRL screens OM and Ni used tilted taped with 3M Scotch 850F(ultrathin opaque tape used to repair bellows outside since its glossy)
Of course i will remeasure registers from front to filmrail -cam on table. and from pressure plate and filmlevel to front.
I am using a short stiff ruler mounted ontop of the mount and deduct its thickness. i prefer measuring in the corner of mirrorbox to have caliper perpendicular.
DONT USE DIGITAL CALIPER anymore OR YOU ARE LOST.
measure thickness of a screen and compare with analoge vernier caliper. digital 1.6mm analogue 1.56mm!!!!!!!!!
I have actually a difference between screen and filmlevel-focussing. didnt go into detail but.
with my variable register Rafcamera P67-M68-adapter be it naked short version i can correct difference but unscrewing from camera. and calculate real difference by using by how much ring is unscrew. will have paper-ruler taped on it. e.g pitch 1= 1mm/360° pitch 0.75= 0.75mm/360.
the same is true when combining the Clamp adapter M68 with Nikon, EOS and M42 parts of P6-adapters. Pitch 1(P6) and Pitch 0.75(Kiev 60 series) around be aware. normally pitch 1 are those from china or pentacon six shops. 0.75 from hartbleilens ebay.
EOS matching best for a standard tripod mount ring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: News Reply with quote

1. I made some mistakes measuring with calipers. will get a new one. showing a bit different for direct measuring of registers.
2. i have not yet new infinity glasses since eyesight decreased over the years and i cannot focus with right eye since in have hole in foramen = location of sharpest viewing.
during the period when this started to happen i misjudged lenses(Sigma 28/1.8 aspherical highspeed wide) to have limited reach(40m) and adapter (K+F concept C/Y-EOS) going over infinity. i already added tape. made this statement here in 2016-corrected now.
but best sharpness with K+F concept NI(adapter to EOS) and EOS at 7.8km with 200mm P67 lens is not reached. have both newest 300mm too now to check.
I have now also variable register Adapter made from Rafcamera P67-P6(two versions /different pitch P6 or Kiev 60 series) + cam part of P6-adapters(only those with M68 thread inside(also two versions around). by rotating in the thread i can read different registers. it would lead too far here to explain further. pls go to pentaxforum.com and search for infinity reaching.
360 rotation = pitch in mm.
supersharp and sharp enough are two pairs of shoes. yes optimal apertures used f 8 and f11. f16 for near distances also acceptable. EOS 60D.
beside infinity reachingf there is a different problem. getting proper focus for near distances and long lenses 600mm here.
will discuss in new thread when i have more data/testshots made.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: infinity reached when at 8-10km subject has best sharpness Reply with quote

440roadrunner wrote:
At least for me, you are going to have to explain better. I first started messin' with MF lenses wiith my old Canon Xt, bought?? about 06-07 I guess. Since then, I've had 40D, 7D, SL-1, T7. and now 5D, 5D MkII and now Mk IV. I have NEVER had infinity issues with any M42 adapter, some of them a bit sloppy. I only have one CY adapter, and only a couple of CY/ Yashica lenses, but I've had no trouble with them, either.

only when using best lenses and testing them at 8-10km it is clear if adapters are ok.
Fact is-confirmed by Leica, Zeiss, Novoflex. Old MF lenses on digital dont reach infinity. not topquality sharpness.
Have lenses going beyond. have variable register adapter made for P67-lenses.
if lens isnt collimated one never knows whats the problem. there is a simple collimating tip online using two cams.
Newest MF zeiss lenses are made to reach infinity. Leitax mounts too. will test that.
I think Fotodiox P67-Nikon and EOS-adapters are not made for infinity. they should be a bit shorter.
will prove that.at least 200mm lens needed to verify sharpness/liveview or loupe or groundglass on SRL.
YT full of solutions how to adjust lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: variable register adapters-Adapter makers: WAKE UP! Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
europanorama wrote:

99% of adapters have been made fractionally short for around the last 10 years (this ensures infinity focus). For most lenses if 500m is focused the moon will be. The only M42 adapter I have that doesn't reach infinity focus with regular M42 lenses is one with a helicoid (and brought over 10 years ago)
The tendency to make adapters deliberately short has proved inconvenient with a couple of short focal length lenses I have, where the focusing movement is only just enough to bring focus down to 100m - but at least it's easier to shim a short adapter than shorten a long one.

500m sharp= moon sharp. crazyest statement i have ever read!
so why then have novoflex systems adjusters for extraterrestrial adjustments.
i tested to fotodiox P67-Nikon (with EOS adapter) and EOS-adapter. i am sure its not reaching 7.8km perfectly. deeper tests must be done. i have perfect targets over my town. could show one here. its 2.7km towers and helicoid isnt at stop to reach tv-tower at 7.8km. Leica confirmed terrestrial infinity at 10km.
one needs best lenses stopped down to f8 or f11. nearer f16 allowed. enough tests made to be sure.
aps-c camera. up to 30 sec shooting at sunset. this summer i will nail and prove with variable register adapter. to adjust if lens or other adapters also dont reach infinity on film.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: variable register adapters-Adapter makers: WAKE UP! Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
europanorama wrote:

For most lenses if 500m is focused the moon will be

crazy statement fully untrue. also gabler in old novoflex book about infinity. NOVOFLEX confirmed, they couldnt until his death. look at YT videos about that, experts crying 3miles is infinity. ridicoulos. have overview here on panoramapoint from near til 8km in our town. big difference 0n scale from 2.7 to 8km 200/300 also 135mm P67 lenses. and you are writing such a lie!! never shot the moon with 400mm novoflex with variable register screw. Noflexar here.i was using and adapter with was badly made too long. and in panic didnt reflect about quickly changing adapter-combinations. didtn have direct A-EF-adapter by novoflex. and during solstice(didnt know i had 90 min.) one must not start adjusting infinity. result. moon not perfectly sharp. but images are unique in another way. will not and cannot show.
Was also satisfied with my 70-150 Zuiko til the moment i could test 85/1.4 zeiss c/y at night for difficult subject. it was like day and night 1978 when i switched to Contax/Yashica. yes also zeiss-lenses may be deadjusted. NB: Zeiss told their Otus-line is made to go beyond infinity.
Next is checking the 450/4.5 CAT by Vivitar. see other thread. its going too beyond infinity. same for Sigma Nikkormount 500/7.2 AF