Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

That crazy Contax mirror!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: That crazy Contax mirror! Reply with quote

New toy:

While it isn't new, it looks like it is. Mint, with original packaging plus a Contax UV filter.

I hope to do a comparison with the Minolta MD version.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

Pretty sure the Zeiss will win in every expect, except the price and weight. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy, indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Congrats

Pretty sure the Zeiss will win in every expect, except the price and weight. Wink

This would also mean a Zeiss victory over Leica, since the Minolta was also sold under that brand, and is considered one of the best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Congrats

This would also mean a Zeiss victory over Leica, since the Minolta was also sold under that brand, and is considered one of the best

I have not tired the Zeiss or Leica. The best one I tired is Nikon N and Minolta. Both of them are pretty sharp with decent contrast. The Nikkor have a better handling since it comes with the tripod mount. The Minolta is better when used with the EA7/EA9 since it is more lightweight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Congrats

I have not tired the Zeiss or Leica. The best one I tired is Nikon N and Minolta. Both of them are pretty sharp with decent contrast. The Nikkor have a better handling since it comes with the tripod mount. The Minolta is better when used with the EA7/EA9 since it is more lightweight.

When I had on hands the Telyt (as seller), didn't try it. Then I used to work with plenty of satisfaction with a Tamron, and bought it again a few years ago; It's enough for me, since I don't shoot all that much over 300 mm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious how that will compare to the near-identical Yashica in C/Y mount, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

The Yashica is not near identical and compares unfavorably.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

The mount is identical and the housing is similar but nothing else. Laugh 1

Source: Zeiss

Source: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00804/00804.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
New toy:
I hope to do a comparison with the Minolta MD version.

Do we have any news on this one? I would be interested ... Wink

EDIT: I just saw some results wre published in another thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/marvelous-mirotar-vs-magnificent-minolta-battle-of-the-500-r-t84026.html

I would be interested in a comparison of classical "landscape" images as well ("infinity", with details from corner to corner)

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still planning to do it. The weather here has been mostly atrocious, low 30F and fog or 38 and rain. That plus I am going through several large life situation changes. I retired 2 weeks ago from 40 years as a pharmacist. So theinsurance and finance changes are tedious and time consuming. Additionally I am in the early stages (final designer mods to a stock house plan) of having a house built in a bedroom community outside Eugene. Life has been a bit crazy for me. I want to do the test right. I also picked up a Tamron BBAR to throw into the mix. So it should include the Zeiss, Olympus, Minolta MD, Tamron BBAR, Minolta AF, and the Tokina HMC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Still planning to do it. The weather here has been mostly atrocious, low 30F and fog or 38 and rain. That plus I am going through several large life situation changes. I retired 2 weeks ago from 40 years as a pharmacist. So theinsurance and finance changes are tedious and time consuming. Additionally I am in the early stages (final designer mods to a stock house plan) of having a house built in a bedroom community outside Eugene. Life has been a bit crazy for me. I want to do the test right. I also picked up a Tamron BBAR to throw into the mix. So it should include the Zeiss, Olympus, Minolta MD, Tamron BBAR, Minolta AF, and the Tokina HMC.

Thanks for your response - and all the best for your "new" life!!

Yes, I know how much work these tests are - and especially the long lenses require a lot of attention because of air turbulences. You have a really great line-up of 500mm mirrors, and I think quite a few people would be interested. Especially the MinAF vs Zeiss could be surprising ...

That said I'm NOT a mirror lens guy and my experience with the seven mirror lenses I own is pretty limited. From those i own (250mm Minolta, 500mm: Minolta MD, Nikkor new, Tamron SP, Tokina; 600mm and 1000mm: Sigma) the Minolta MD 250mm and the new Nikkor 500mm seem the most "usable" to me.

S