Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xenotar 80mm 2.8 in Synchro Compur #1 shutter query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Xenotar 80mm 2.8 in Synchro Compur #1 shutter query Reply with quote

I have been curious about the xenotar for quite some time. I have lots of respect for Schneider lenses and really like the Tele-Arton. The xenotar always seemed very very expensive. I finally picked this up for 250. The lens and shutter look nearly brand new. Some very tiny corrosion marks on the diaphragm keep it from being absolutely mint. The shutter sounds accurate and goes up to 400. I was wondering what it will cover. It seems larger than the xenotar 80mm 2.8 seen in the rolleifex 6x6. Will it cover 6x9? Larger? Anybody know a cheap folding camera I can install it in to try on film? The flange is a 0.75pitch 39mm. I have ordered an adapter for m42 to use on a7rii. Playing around I find the elements screw into a componon 150mm barrel, at least the back element. I can't seem to break the front group out on the componon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Xenotar 80mm 2.8 in Synchro Compur #1 shutter query Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Will it cover 6x9? Larger?

Nice lens, I would recommend always to check Pacificrimcamera pages for the references at first. For example Xenotar 80/2,8 can be found in the following catalogues:

1961: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00896/00896.pdf
1963: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00832/00832.pdf
1976: https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/02160/02160.pdf

So it should have 86 mm image circle at f22. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. Very useful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really quick and easy and relatively accurate way you can test the image circle of a lens. Let's take, for example, a room with a blank wall that faces a window. During daylight hours, hold the lens up to the wall and move it back and forth until the image it projects is in focus. At that point you can guesstimate or actually measure the image circle cast on the wall. That will be the coverage of your lens at that distance setting. The size of the image circle is somewhat dependent upon the distance of your subject, but it shouldn't vary by much.

Of course, you don't have to use a wall. You can use a flat piece of white posterboard or equivalent also.

I used to own a Rolleiflex with an 80mm Xenotar and I loved that camera for the "look" that lens delivered. Good luck with it.

Incidentally, my kitchen's counters tops are made of that same "marble." Personally, I don't care for it because I can't think of a better pattern to disguise dirt and food debris than that one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does hide dirt debris and other such but when we bought the house it had horrible yellow formica. We found this at the local big box store for really really cheap and installed ourselves. Our cost was all in a couple hundred dollars. We priced the solid sheet materials an at the time it was at least ten times as much. My wife is at the edge of OCD with a penchant for cleanliness. I never worry if things are clean because I KNOW she will have cleaned them...twice, and maybe 3 times! I like that you can put hot pans straight onto the surface with no worries. I really like the images I see from Xenotar lenses as well. That was why I sprang for a relatively expensive lens that I don't have a camera that it fits easily. I did order an "as-is" componon 150 for not much money that if I ruin it trying to remount this I won't feel too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Xenotar remount job. Reply with quote

So in a search of xenotar info Calvin's mount job came up:

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-xenotar-80mm-f2-8-adapted-to-m42-t69739,highlight,%2Bxenotar.html

That got me to thinking. It looked an awful lot like the barrel for a componon enlarger lens I had, so I decided to try it. Sure enough, exact same threads as the synchro compur #1 shutter, easy swap I thought. Nope. I can't get the front assembly to break free. I am able to dissassemble it complete except that thread. I really like that lens it takes marvelous photos so I don't want to get too aggressive with it. Welp the Componon 150 5.6 are not THAT expensive. Checks ebay and find a listing with a componon 150 5.6 a componon 50 f4 a comparon 75 4.5 for 50 bucks. The componon 150 looks great except some edge haze plus comes with both Schneider caps. The one I have has some coating damage so I figure lots to gain, little to lose. Lenses take a couple of days to arrive. I finally get a day off to play in the camera den and this one comes apart with no muss or fuss. I dismantle and clean the elements and it they look nearly perfect. While I'm at it I play "frankenlens", creating a compotar and xenonon for the fun of it. The few quick snaps I take are very encouraging but it is a very very dark cloudy day so I will wait to try it again when I get better light. I have a 39mm x .075 to m42 bushing on order from RAF so when that comes in I will be able to use the xenotar properly with NEX m42 helical.

Pictures to follow later today maybe tomorrow. Stuck at work all day today and AM tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Xenotar remount job. Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
So in a search of xenotar info Calvin's mount job came up:

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-xenotar-80mm-f2-8-adapted-to-m42-t69739,highlight,%2Bxenotar.html

That got me to thinking. It looked an awful lot like the barrel for a componon enlarger lens I had, so I decided to try it. Sure enough, exact same threads as the synchro compur #1 shutter, easy swap I thought. Nope. I can't get the front assembly to break free. I am able to dissassemble it complete except that thread. I really like that lens it takes marvelous photos so I don't want to get too aggressive with it. Welp the Componon 150 5.6 are not THAT expensive. Checks ebay and find a listing with a componon 150 5.6 a componon 50 f4 a comparon 75 4.5 for 50 bucks. The componon 150 looks great except some edge haze plus comes with both Schneider caps. The one I have has some coating damage so I figure lots to gain, little to lose. Lenses take a couple of days to arrive. I finally get a day off to play in the camera den and this one comes apart with no muss or fuss. I dismantle and clean the elements and it they look nearly perfect. While I'm at it I play "frankenlens", creating a compotar and xenonon for the fun of it. The few quick snaps I take are very encouraging but it is a very very dark cloudy day so I will wait to try it again when I get better light. I have a 39mm x .075 to m42 bushing on order from RAF so when that comes in I will be able to use the xenotar properly with NEX m42 helical.

Pictures to follow later today maybe tomorrow. Stuck at work all day today and AM tomorrow.

The Componon 150 is good for the donator. Look forward for your results. I sold mine long ago but I regret that.