Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 17mm RMC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Tokina 17mm RMC Reply with quote

A seemingly chaotic display

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina 17mm RMC Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
A seemingly chaotic display

Not at all.

The only thing that seems out of place is the jawbone (unless it serves a useful purpose) Wink

Not a bad performance at all, but it is cropped I assume.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
It is cropped.
I'm trying to figure out some sort of cradle for that jawbone.
After I finish my macro/micro set-up.
Priorities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark. It seems downright tidy to me compared to the chaotic state of my workbench mid-project.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I agree with Mark. It seems downright tidy to me compared to the chaotic state of my workbench mid-project.

And I thought it was cluttered with tools and at least 3 ongoing projects.
You have to put up a picture with yours.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

And I thought it was cluttered with tools and at least 3 ongoing projects.
You have to put up a picture with yours.

Well, I had to dig a bit, but I finally found an old pic I shot in B&W. I don't recall anymore the camera and lens I used, but I can say with certainty that it wasn't a Tokina 17mm:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few copies of the Tokina 17mm including an AF one and it's a very good lens for what it costs, certainly much better than the Cosina 19mm or the Sigma 18mm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Micronta is an ancient multimeter.
Was it end of 80s?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That name rings a bell!

My father used to have a Micronta analogue multimeter back in the 80's. He has probably still got it now Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
That Micronta is an ancient multimeter.
Was it end of 80s?

Good call. That pic was probably taken around 1990. But I bought the Micronta back in the mid-80s. It was very reliable but suddenly gave up the ghost without warning about 10 years ago. I've been using a cheapo $5 Harbor Freight meter ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Good call. That pic was probably taken around 1990. But I bought the Micronta back in the mid-80s.

That tiny GE lightmeter is what caught my eye. I think I have one with the flimsy vinyl case.

Himself: Your collection of wood planes is quite impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Himself: Your collection of wood planes is quite impressive!

That's the everyday use so to speak. I have some jewels in there: Bailey 4 1/2", 5 1/4" and a no 7 ( all 3 corrugated ), Record no5.

These are the backup Very Happy

no 4, 5 , 6, 6 1/2", another 2 smooth sole no7 and a corrugated no 8, also a no -78 .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
That's the everyday use so to speak. I have some jewels in there: Bailey 4 1/2", 5 1/4" and a no 7 ( all 3 corrugated ), Record no5.

These are the backup Very Happy

no 4, 5 , 6, 6 1/2", another 2 smooth sole no7 and a corrugated no 8, also a no -78 .

Impressive indeed!

In the background I notice an American mains outlet (socket) with the earth/ground pin in bottom orientation. That would give the folks designing UK wiring regulations a heart attack!! Wink

To be fair, a lot of legal US wiring practices would fall foul of UK (and EU) wiring regulations

But then there are also a fair number of UK wiring directives that make little sense from an engineering point of view. Especially the UK mains plug, whilst touted as the one of the world's safest, has a few serious safety flaws/loopholes. I regularly need to cut off the UK-approved manufacturer-supplied moulded-on thermoplastic plug and replace it with a safer thermo-hardening design with ventilation for the fuse. The cheap (but legal) supplied ones often overheat for appliances over 2kW.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing this far o/t discussion Razz

That's actually a surge/spike bar in the back-ground.
Can't tell if it's over an outlet or not.
Himself is in Canada, which has some fairly strict electrical codes.
The normal installation is for the ground prong on the bottom here.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but what difference does it make which way the ground plug is oriented?

I've only seen outlets configured with the ground plug oriented to the bottom, however. I've installed many of these things over the years and I think a big reason for installing them with the ground plug down is because that is right side up. If installed the other way, all the writing on the plug would be upside down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Continuing this far o/t discussion Razz

That's actually a surge/spike bar in the back-ground.
Can't tell if it's over an outlet or not.
Himself is in Canada, which has some fairly strict electrical codes.
The normal installation is for the ground prong on the bottom here.

-D.S.

No worries, it's my topic Very Happy

It's an outlet extender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Just curious, but what difference does it make which way the ground plug is oriented?

I've only seen outlets configured with the ground plug oriented to the bottom, however. I've installed many of these things over the years and I think a big reason for installing them with the ground plug down is because that is right side up. If installed the other way, all the writing on the plug would be upside down.

The live and neutral prongs on a US style plug do not have insulation sleeving near the plug. That means if the plug is not fully pushed home into the socket, a thin metal object could fall in the gap between the plug and the socket on top of the live & neutral pins and cause a short circuit (or worse, come to rest on top of the live prong). UK electrical engineers are very funny about these sort of eventualities, however unlikely. Hence UK plugs are designed with the ground pin on top, and a short bit of insulation covering both the live and neutral pins near the plug.

Anyway, that is but one reason that the US style plug design is frowned upon in the UK Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
It's an outlet extender

I figured as much. I'm quite curious to know why the hole for the earth pin is shaped like that, with a flat bottom, when the earth pin itself is round...

Are they meant to look like faces with a slightly disconcerting expression?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Himself wrote:
It's an outlet extender

I'm quite curious to know why the hole for the earth pin is shaped like that, with a flat bottom, when the earth pin itself is round...

To accommodate this commercial grade plug

Tools are coming with a very flimsy plug that has a very weak ground pin.
That one breaks first. Imagine construction, renovation. Plugs get stepped on, kicked, tripped. The original ones have a very short life.
I always have 2-3 heavy duty plugs as spares in my truck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Are they meant to look like faces with a slightly disconcerting expression?

There were rumors around the industry back in the 80's that the look was to deter tampering by children. Nothing to back that up with- just idle talk from others in similar trades.

There seems to be an awful lot of appliances and tools with plugs that are far too light and impeding for the load they carry these days.
Extension cords, and even outlet multipliers are getting bad for running hot as well.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
Himself wrote:
It's an outlet extender

I'm quite curious to know why the hole for the earth pin is shaped like that, with a flat bottom, when the earth pin itself is round...

To accommodate this commercial grade plug

Tools are coming with a very flimsy plug that has a very weak ground pin.
That one breaks first. Imagine construction, renovation. Plugs get stepped on, kicked, tripped. The original ones have a very short life.
I always have 2-3 heavy duty plugs as spares in my truck.

Ah, that explains; never knew those commercial grade plugs existed, but then we rarely get to see US style plugs here in Europe.

Surprised the regular earth pins can be so weak that they actually break!

Incidentally, on UK construction sites it is also usual to work with 110V construction equipment rather than the common DIY 240V ones. But the plugs are entirely different, also much more robust than the DIY ones.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
There were rumors around the industry back in the 80's that the look was to deter tampering by children. Nothing to back that up with- just idle talk from others in similar trades.

Funny; I would have thought children would be tempted to "feed the hungry mouths", so to speak. Sad

Doc Sharptail wrote:
There seems to be an awful lot of appliances and tools with plugs that are far too light and impeding for the load they carry these days.
Extension cords, and even outlet multipliers are getting bad for running hot as well.

Unfortunately the UK is flooded with cheap tools these days (probably like everywhere else from the sounds of it.) Especially on heaters the power cords (& plugs) are often undersized for the load, due to a loophole in the EU and UK laws which allows an undersized cable for short term-use portable appliances with a short lead like kettles, portable heaters, etc. Then in the UK add to the equation the common moulded-on cheap thermoplastic plug that cosily insulates the (~1Watt) heat-producing 13A fuse inside the plug, and the longer-term result is a warm cable, melting fuse holder, hot plug, and even hot wall outlet. Hence I often replace the stock 3G1.0mm^2 PVC cable with a 3G1.5mm^2 heat-resistant one with a quality MK urea-formaldehyde thermosetting plug.

Due to the increased energy costs here people start heating just the one room they are in with cheap £20 plastic portable 2kW electric fan heaters. Unfortunately I predict many accidents... Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm guys, a "call to order" please...!!

I might be tempted to clean up here...

And it is not "your thread" it is the forum's thread... Wink