Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED at A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED at A7RII Reply with quote

My friend lend me a copy of this lens to try. The AF of the lens is not working but it can be used as a manual lens.

Although it is a lens released more than 20 years ago, it is still a very good performer today: very sharp with nearly no CA. It is hard to focus manually as the focus throw is short. Good for stationary objects. Wink

For more details and samples, please visit the upcoming post on my blog.
https://lensfever.com/nikon-af-s-nikkor-300mm-f4-if-ed-review/

#5, 100% crop

Last edited by calvin83 on Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

非体力好者不能久持也~ Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkjason wrote:
非体力好者不能久持也~ Laugh 1

很易腰痛 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
monkjason wrote:
非体力好者不能久持也~ Laugh 1

很易腰痛 Laugh 1

六味地黄丸 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
monkjason wrote:
非体力好者不能久持也~ Laugh 1

很易腰痛 Laugh 1

六味地黄丸 Laugh 1

Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review is posted on the following link:

https://lensfever.com/nikon-af-s-nikkor-300mm-f4-if-ed-review/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. The "D" lenses are my preferred AF Nikkors, mostly because they usually have a decent manual focus ability. The few I own are well damped and work nicely in manual mode. My 70-300 "D" ED works well in this regard. But I would very much like to try one of those 300 "D" EDs.

Other than the short focus throw, would you say it compares favorably with the MF 300 ED?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nice pics. The "D" lenses are my preferred AF Nikkors, mostly because they usually have a decent manual focus ability. The few I own are well damped and work nicely in manual mode. My 70-300 "D" ED works well in this regard. But I would very much like to try one of those 300 "D" EDs.

Other than the short focus throw, would you say it compares favorably with the MF 300 ED?

It will be a good idea to compare this lens to the MF 300 ED but none of my friend owns one. I might compare this lens to Leica APO 280mm F4 in the future when I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED at A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The AF of the lens is not working but it can be used as a manual lens.

The aperture is manual or electronic?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED at A7RII Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

You can say it is a manual aperture when mounted on a non-Nikon camera.

Quote:
Many D-Type lenses have an aperture control ring and can be used on older Nikon SLR cameras that allow for manual control of the aperture, as well as on DSLRs—especially useful for adjusting aperture while recording D-Movies on higher end models. When used on a DSLR, the aperture control ring needs to be locked at the smallest possible aperture (generally designated in orange), and the aperture control is maintained through the camera's command dial.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/which-nikkor-lens-type-is-right-for-your-dslr.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED at A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Himself wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

You can say it is a manual aperture when mounted on a non-Nikon camera.

Quote:
Many D-Type lenses have an aperture control ring and can be used on older Nikon SLR cameras that allow for manual control of the aperture, as well as on DSLRs—especially useful for adjusting aperture while recording D-Movies on higher end models. When used on a DSLR, the aperture control ring needs to be locked at the smallest possible aperture (generally designated in orange), and the aperture control is maintained through the camera's command dial.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/which-nikkor-lens-type-is-right-for-your-dslr.html

So it has to be a D type in order to use it on my Canon.
Thanks!