Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

strange Enna Tele-Ennalyt f/4,5 200mm M39x1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: strange Enna Tele-Ennalyt f/4,5 200mm M39x1 Reply with quote

After the craze for Soligor teles (Kino, Komine and Tokina made), i'm back to vintage german lenses.
Schacht and Steinheil are expensive, so i can't affod to buy them often, now i'm more after Isco ed Enna ones.Mainly zebra and earlier aluminium, sometimes the more recent, plasticky ones.
Recently i found two interesting Enna lenses, one is a 400mm f/4,5 (like new, with original caps and sunshade, and even original drop-in filters!).
The other one is a strange 200mm f/4,5, which has a peculiar optical layout (it appears to be like a retrofocus tele with a wide-angle converter in front), and is NOT an M42 lens as i expected: it's an M39 screw mount.
The register is not very different from an M42 lens. Could it be for Braun cameras with M39x1 screw and 44.5mm register?
I dismantled it to clean the glasses, but the back element has coating stains, which couldn't be removed (i thought it was a fungal growth), but don't seem to affect image quality.
After cleaning i fitted the lens to my Pentax K-01 camera, via a M39 to M42 adapter ring (the ones used to mount enlarger lenses on M42 bellows or tubes), and a Hama M42 to PK adapter (which is identical to the original Pentax one: the infinity/diaphragm reference stays on top, and not at 10AM or 2PM, like often happens with cheap chinese adapters).
The quality of the images is more than decent, and the infinity is about right. I tried it with a tree that is far enough to be considered about infinity, but not far enough o be really certain that the lens, with the focusing helicoid fully retracted, isn't slightly missing "true" infinity.

Anybody out there knows about this lens?
Is it for a Braun Paxette?
If the register is truly 44.5mm it should miss infinity by about 1mm.
Should i check better and see if the focusing helicoid needs to be adjusted?
The strange design of the lens makes me think that the optical engineer wanted to make room for a leaf shutter. Am i right?

BTW,
the pictures show the lens already "converted", with the M39 > M42 ring, and a plastic M42 cap

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It should be made for Braun Paxette. Pretty rare lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layout looks a lot like the Schneider 200/4.8 for Retina Reflex, and also similar lenses for other leaf shutter cameras like Kowa and Topcon.
You are lucky with the mount as the adapter is cheap in this case.
Whats the minimum focus? Thats the downside of the type, besides high bulk.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have it in M42 mount, not impressed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impressions brought me to the same conclusion.
An interesting lens, though...
There are other Enna lenses which are still worthy as "photographic tools", not just collector's items.
I'm sure you are perfectly aware about that.... Smile

regards

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enormous front system for a slow lens. Definitely interesting optics. Chunky glass always attracts Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true!! Smile Smile

Cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking lens, a real beauty Wink
I think Braun Paxette focal flange distance is 44mm. I have many lenses for this system and they are quite affordable Idea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
My first impressions brought me to the same conclusion.
An interesting lens, though...
There are other Enna lenses which are still worthy as "photographic tools", not just collector's items.
I'm sure you are perfectly aware about that.... Smile

regards

Paolo

the f1.5/85mm certainly is Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was cleaning one of my plastic Enna lenses I found a smaller threadmount underneath the M42 mount, could that be what you've got? Enna lenses were weird like that, almost like they had their own T mount system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
When I was cleaning one of my plastic Enna lenses I found a smaller threadmount underneath the M42 mount, could that be what you've got? Enna lenses were weird like that, almost like they had their own T mount system.

The 135mm f/2,8 zebra is made like that, IIRC.
BTW, i'm still waiting for a nice soul who would clean his identical lens and give me the height of the spacer ring placed behind the front glass.
I bought the 400mm together with a black, plasticky 135mm f/2,8 which looks like new old stock. Immaculate. It even has the original collapsible sunshade still wrapped in plastic.
I wanted to see if the optical project was still the same, take a measure of the spacer, and have it remade for the zebra lens.
Nope!
In the transition from one generation of lenses to the other, the optical layouts were revised. Possibly for better performance, or because the previous optical glasses were not available anymore. It could even be that they went for cheaper projects, to compete with basic Japan-made objectives.
Whatever... the front and back glasses of the newer model were bigger than those used in the zebra one, so i refrained from opening the optic (it looks unused), and decided to test it during the next days

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

the f1.5/85mm certainly is Wink

That's unfair! Smile Smile

You're not just very serious about your interests. You have a competitive advantage! Smile
Being german, and having been interested in this sort of stuff for a long time, is definitely a huge plus!
I lost many many years collecting vintage large format lenses that i don't use anymore, and that are becoming less and less valuable.
At the same time, lenses like a Flektogon 35mm f/2,4, a Pancolar 80mm M42, and even the Trioplans for small format, were all super affordable.
If i had concentrated on such lenses, i'd have at least 250 more optics, all usable with a DSLR, and in the process i'd have learned a lot more about them...
Dammit Smile

I doubt i would ever own the 85mm f/1,5... but there are a couple other Enna lenses i crave for
I hope sooner or later they will land in my hands...

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have one of these strange Ennalyts for Paxette-Mount M39, but disfunctional. So I look for a second

- to replace mine if in good working order or
- to combine both to get one operational.

If anyone owns one and is willig to sell it, please contact me.

Kind regards
Joerg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

If there is a thread smaller than M42, mostly M39, it may be Leica or Paxette, or an old russian lens. Last two have 44mm distance to chip/film, Leica is shorter.

So the Enna 4.5/200 with M39 is expected to be a Paxette lens.

To reach infinity with a DSLR the adapter must be fittet to the flange-distance of the paxette. In case of adapting to EF there are some 1/10 of a mm to remove from a "normal" M42-adapter and a adaption ring M39/M42.

Kind regards
Joerg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Enna Lithagon 28mm in 'Zenit' 39mm for my Zenit 3m back in the late '60's, so Enna certainly produced lenses in that fitting.
I "upgraded" to an M42 camera, probably a Zenit E, after a few years and remember being disappointed not being able to use the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,

there is a chance to use those old russian M39-lenses (for SLR), the flange-distance lensmount-film is the same as M42 Pentax thread mount (M42 x 1).

So you can use adapter-rings M39/M42 to be screwed on the M39 to convert it to M42. I have two or three old russian/soviet lenses, they can be used with my Practikas (or adapted to EF Canons) as normal M42 lenses.

Only the M39 Paxette lenses need a little correction, M39 LTM is for Leica and only adaptable to mirrorless cameras.

Kind regards
Joerg