Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SOny A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: SOny A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am interested to buy some Contax CZ lenses for my sony A7.
Which one do you recommand?
I am up for a small zoom (24-85) and a wide angle on any type of mount (N, C/Y ...)

What do you think about Yashica ML lenses also ??

Thanks for your advices

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of them, Contax series is exceptional, quality is consistent top quality on all members. I did try only primes.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a 35-70 f 3.4 (constant on all focal range) for many years now.

Quite stellar, no distortion, uniform brightness, sharp, light, no flare in any situation.

If I compare the T treatment of such era lenses (I have the planar 1.7 and I have had the sonnar 135 and the wide 28.28 as well) with my sony rx-100's pseudo T treatment I cry.

Old contax lenses had no flare, period. These new T treatment lenses are poor and flare desperatly despite carrying a red T.

I also saw some pictures from the CZ zm 35 1.4 on flickr, there was no flare but the diaphragm would give some starry reflections.

Not much but annoying and nothing I would expect from a similar summicron or an old c/y zeiss lens.

I would buy gladly any glass from thats eries.

18mm wide angle can be had for a human figure, the 21 strangely is above the 1000 euros, though.

Planar 1.7 was described to me by a zeiss engineer who had come to my town to show a telescope as the most perfect lens, well, in 1986: no need to look for the more costly 1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends what you need ...

They're very good on A7 in general

CONTAX Planar 2.8/60 on Sony A7II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I'm late. I like CZ C/Y lenses. let a few examples from the CZ T* 50/1.7 MMJ C/Y lens (+a7):

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SOny A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

strummer wrote:
Hi all,
I am interested to buy some Contax CZ lenses for my sony A7.
Which one do you recommand?
I am up for a small zoom (24-85) and a wide angle on any type of mount (N, C/Y ...)

What do you think about Yashica ML lenses also ??

Thanks for your advices

Cheers

I can recommend the C/Y Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 4/80-200mm to you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using on my Sony A7 and Sony A6000 with adaptor, and row of my C/Y Zeiss and other glasses!

With These two Panorama Images, I have used the C/Y Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 28-85mm!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Zeiss 100mm f2

Contax Zeiss 70-210mm f3.5 (fun lens)

Contax Zeiss 28mm f2

I have other Contax Zeiss lenses, they all are good on my Sony A7R.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the N series 50/1.4 and Vario-Sonnar 24-85. Both were great on the A7r, though the zoom could be a bit soft in the corners in the wider 24-30mm as might be expected. But the colours were good, and the micro-contrast seemed to be so too.

BUT, and it's a big one, the adapters for the N series are expensive, and if you want electronic control of the aperture, and auto focus, you will be paying serious money. I tried the Techart adapter v2, and it stripped the contacts which was both irritating and expensive. I got a Kipon (v3) and it was great. It's still on my vario-Sonnar 17-35, which is about to be sold to fund a separate purchase.

The other replies all speak highly of the C/Y range of lenses, and I will too. The 50/1.7 is a wonderful piece of glass, and unless you need that extra aperture of the 1.4 version, save yourself some money and stick with sharper 1.7. The next best is the 85/2.8, a fantastic lens - I had the MMJ, but stupidly sold it. I bought the MMG version and will take it to my grave.

In the wide department, I had and sold the 35/2.8 MMJ, but still use the 28/2.8 on both A7r and my Canon. Great lens.

Stick with the C/Y.

Oh, and you asked about the Yashicas. At one point I had the 50/1.9 and I think the 50/(1.4?) - I preferred the 1.9 version. It was sharp, had good colours and was dirt cheap. You could start there....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

I can recommend these on A7 platforms. I use them on my A7RII and really like the results.

Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* and Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 T*

The zoom is one of the best standard range zooms I've used and I've been collecting a number to weigh against in this normal zoom range. Trying to make real world assessments as to what's the best you can do with a zoom in this range. I've found a handful of zooms I do like, pretty much all from the 80's and 90's which stand up well against the newest and most expensive zoom lenses available today. I.e. I had this past year purchased a new Sigma Art Zoom 24‑105mm f/4.0 DG OS HSM, however I've recently sold it as I prefer a number of my older zooms to this new one. Per C/Y Zeiss, the Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* mentioned here is one of my favorites. It has good range and in my estimation produces prime to near prime IQ at all focal lengths with the note that at full wide it does need some CA correction, although it's still quite sharp even at 28mm. Color is very natural but not what I'd call robust but pops up nicely in post.

The Distagon 28mm is the most technical lens I own. It produces clinically sharp images that appear very linear for a wide angle and also has quite nice color. Everyone needs a good medium wide angle in their bag and this little jewel (although not little once you put the over sized lens hood on it) is as good as I've seen in any wide angle.

Best of luck in your search

Last edited by CaptainVideo on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SOny A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

CaptainVideo wrote:
I can recommend these on A7 platforms. I use them on my A7RII and really like the results.

Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* and Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 T*

The zoom is one of the best standard range zooms I've used and I've been collecting a number to weigh against in this normal zoom range. Trying to make real world assessments as to what's the best you can do with a zoom in this range. I've found a handful of zooms I do like, pretty much all from the 80's and 90's which stand up well against the newest and most expensive zoom lenses available today. I.e. I had this past year purchased a new Sigma Art Zoom 24‑105mm f/4.0 DG OS HSM, however I've recently sold it as I prefer a number of my older zooms to this new one. Per C/Y Zeiss, the Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* mentioned here is one of my favorites. It has good range and in my estimation produces prime to near prime IQ at all focal lengths with the note that at full wide it does need some CA correction, although it's still quite sharp even at 28mm. Color is very natural but not what I'd call robust but pops up nicely in post.

The Distagon 28mm is the most technical lens I own. It produces clinically sharp images that appear very linear for a wide angle and also has quite nice color. Everyone needs a good medium wide angle in their bag and this little jewel (although not little once you put the over sized lens hood on it) is as good as I've seen in any wide angle.

Best of luck in your search

Like 1 Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony A7 and Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses Reply with quote

Per my prior post, here's a couple of pix representative of these two lenses, Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* and Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 T*.

Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 3.3-4.0/28-85 T* .. this was shot at about 65mm

Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 T*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an former offical Embassy photographer, I haved used my C/Y Zeiss Distagon 2,8/25mm on my CONTAX RTSIII and CONTAX AX for many years, and many many images with film material!

Today, I am still using this excellent lens, adapted to my SONY A7 camera mostly with fixed focus, set at f/8 and 2m, so I have an DOF from 1m to infinity!

Much much faster, than any autofocus system with excellent results! Like 1 small

If I would get one buck for each shot, I've done with my 25mm Distagon, I would be able to buy now most of the SONY lens collection, incl. one or two nice camera bodies!

Last edited by OPAL on Sun May 22, 2022 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides on my A7, A6000, I have bought me now the A6500, because I want all of my vintage glass covered with it's image stabilisation!

On the attached images, I've used my C/Y Carl Zeiss T* Planar 1,4/50mm on my Sony A6500, as an small 75mm telephoto lens!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any of them, Contax series is exceptional, quality is consistent top quality on all members. I did try only primes.

I second it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l9magen wrote:
I had the N series 50/1.4 and Vario-Sonnar 24-85. Both were great on the A7r, though the zoom could be a bit soft in the corners in the wider 24-30mm as might be expected. But the colours were good, and the micro-contrast seemed to be so too.

BUT, and it's a big one, the adapters for the N series are expensive, and if you want electronic control of the aperture, and auto focus, you will be paying serious money. I tried the Techart adapter v2, and it stripped the contacts which was both irritating and expensive. I got a Kipon (v3) and it was great. It's still on my vario-Sonnar 17-35, which is about to be sold to fund a separate purchase.

The other replies all speak highly of the C/Y range of lenses, and I will too. The 50/1.7 is a wonderful piece of glass, and unless you need that extra aperture of the 1.4 version, save yourself some money and stick with sharper 1.7. The next best is the 85/2.8, a fantastic lens - I had the MMJ, but stupidly sold it. I bought the MMG version and will take it to my grave.

In the wide department, I had and sold the 35/2.8 MMJ, but still use the 28/2.8 on both A7r and my Canon. Great lens.

Stick with the C/Y.

Oh, and you asked about the Yashicas. At one point I had the 50/1.9 and I think the 50/(1.4?) - I preferred the 1.9 version. It was sharp, had good colours and was dirt cheap. You could start there....

How do you know that f1.4 will get you the extra aperture? on paper but not in praxis.
i just tested both 50 and 85/1.4 on eos 60D first 1/3 steps then 1/2 steps taken. both of them when coming down from f 2.8 to 2.0 to 1.4 showed darker images(center only checked) of between 1/3 to 1/2 stops. period.
Had a long call with Zeiss some days ago and he confirmed deteriorations leading to that. all kind of. 50/1.7 will be counterchecked with 50/1.4- have also MLs- and super takumar 50/1.4 the yellow one and sigma 28/1-8 highspeed wide aspherical.- wonderful lens also fully open on APS-C. only have FF-SRLs.135/5 nonzeiss i measured once 1/3 darker than f1.4. not yet tested on DSRL.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using my C/Y Carl Zeiss T* Vario-Sonnar 3,4/35-70mm sucessfully with an 10x 72mm PRO ACHROMATIC DIGITAL COATED MACRO LENS! Its quiet heavy, but the results are very good with it.