Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Df
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Nikon Df Reply with quote

That´s an itch I´d love to scratch. I´m undecided if it´s clever, though. Great design and handling comes with little disadvantages: Can be used only with Nikkors or F-Mount compatible lenses (but all of them, even pre-AIS), a high price for a used camera, an admittedly very good sensor but one that also is already slightly outdated with its 16mpix. Many more, probably.

Has anybody ever tried the Df with MF Nikkors in terms of focusing? The D7100 I recently donated to my brother´s wife was capable of giving accurate focus information with the white dot/arrow indicators in the viewfinder´s bottom LCD, with manual focus Nikkors. So I assume it would work just fine with a Df, which is from about the same time (2013) but if anybody knows for sure and has some experience, please speak up.

Anyway, it´s not an emergency. I still have three good working digital bodies and a small collection of film ones. It´s just this gut thing that always stays for a couple of days after seeing the camera again somewhere, and I recently always let it fade away because of many reasons, mainly the buck. But I wonder if it´s finally time to get one.
I´d appreciate any comments that help me in making a rational decision. (Also all other comments, if they´re entertaining.)

Thanks a lot,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any newer cameras with similar ergonomics?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Any newer cameras with similar ergonomics?

Good point, but I have three newer and ergonomic cameras. Didn´t make the itch go away. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photo: https://blog.graysofwestminster.co.uk/2013/11/05/i-am-pure-photography-nikon-unveils-the-df-a-retro-styled-high-end-d-slr/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would love to own one, I cannot justify the financial outlay.
This camera is from the D-700 era, and shares it's sensor and on board processor technologies.
Nikon's contrast focusing system leaves a lot to be desired~ especially in low light on cameras of this era, despite what K/R tells you. (I still think he's a paid Nikon schill, but he denies it)
Yeah, I know, it looks like a chrome FE on steroids. The button and dial system is intriguing.
That "chrome" look is actually painted plastic- the same as the Cosina made FM-10.

TBH, for that kind of money, I'd go for a D-850 (or better) and be done with it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
While I would love to own one, I cannot justify the financial outlay.
This camera is from the D-700 era, and shares it's sensor and on board processor technologies.
Nikon's contrast focusing system leaves a lot to be desired~ especially in low light on cameras of this era, despite what K/R tells you. (I still think he's a paid Nikon schill, but he denies it)
Yeah, I know, it looks like a chrome FE on steroids. The button and dial system is intriguing.
That "chrome" look is actually painted plastic- the same as the Cosina made FM-10.

TBH, for that kind of money, I'd go for a D-850 (or better) and be done with it.

-D.S.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It´s that kind of information and opinion I´m after.

Price always was and still is an issue.
Sensor and processor probably not so much. I wonder what a full frame with such relatively low resolution can deliver, even if it dates back to 2013. Wasn´t there a Nikon on the market that goes a similarly long time back and is still favored by wedding photographers because of its unsurpassed tonality? I am rather discouraged by what you say about the focusing abilities. Since I´d like to use it with old MF Nikkors, it would be quite a disappointment if that doesn´t work in a useful way. And since it´s rather rare, one cannot just don a handful of old Nikkor AIS into a bag, walk to the next photographer equipment shop and hope to find a used Df with which one could make a couple of test shots.

Regarding the look, yes and no - it´s big compared to the old elegant FE/FM series. But next to a Df, contemporary Nikon bodies are the steroid junkie looking ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

photo: https://blog.graysofwestminster.co.uk/2013/11/05/i-am-pure-photography-nikon-unveils-the-df-a-retro-styled-high-end-d-slr/

Excellent image. The arrangement of the time dialer next to the shutter and ISO, +/- left to the viewfinder is the layout I grew up with. Customizable dials and buttons are just not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It´s that kind of information and opinion I´m after.

Price always was and still is an issue.
Sensor and processor probably not so much. I wonder what a full frame with such relatively low resolution can deliver, even if it dates back to 2013. Wasn´t there a Nikon on the market that goes a similarly long time back and is still favored by wedding photographers because of its unsurpassed tonality? I am rather discouraged by what you say about the focusing abilities. Since I´d like to use it with old MF Nikkors, it would be quite a disappointment if that doesn´t work in a useful way. And since it´s rather rare, one cannot just don a handful of old Nikkor AIS into a bag, walk to the next photographer equipment shop and hope to find a used Df with which one could make a couple of test shots.

Regarding the look, yes and no - it´s big compared to the old elegant FE/FM series. But next to a Df, contemporary Nikon bodies are the steroid junkie looking ones.

I guess it depends on what your interpretation of low light is.
Mine is that half-light at sunset, and even the D-810 struggles to decide what's in focus.
I get used to it after a while though, and do a lot of checking off the "ground glass".
I have not yet played around with focus modes on it- mostly because I exclusively use m/f lenses with it.

That low resolution full-frame you refer to is most likely the D-700.
I have seen some very nice monochromes taken with it on this board, and the few color samples I've seen have been very good indeed. Pixels cannot really replace a good photographer's pre-shutter trip eye Wink
I still have to learn how to use "live view" for focusing. I do not spend anywhere near the time I should be spending on a tripod. Those old F-2 hand-held handling habits are very hard to move away from.
I do wonder how the mirror-less version of the df is selling. Definitely not the same "look", though.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, my EM-1ii struggles under such light conditions as well, and is 4 years ahead in development.
The advantage of the EVF is clearly there, although the conventional viewfinder of the Df is said to be a rather good one. My experience with focusing manual lenses on a Nikon is with the D7100 only. The camera displays a small rectangle in the viewfinder´s center to indicate where it´s looking for focus and shows a little white point in the lower left corner between the arrows, once the camera thinks its sharp. The few test shots I did so far produced usable results. It simply didn´t come to my mind to try out Live View or focus modes. Although that would have been interesting.

What do you mean by "old F-2 hand-held handling habits" in relation to tripod? Smile

Mirrorless version of the Df: The only camera similar in look and manipulation configuration is the Z fc, but it comes with a DX sensor. You mean that one?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:

What do you mean by "old F-2 hand-held handling habits" in relation to tripod? Smile

Mirrorless version of the Df: The only camera similar in look and manipulation configuration is the Z fc, but it comes with a DX sensor. You mean that one?

I got away with a lot of things with the old F2 that I shouldn't have: hand holding at 1/8 sec etc. , but I was a whole lot younger and steadier then.

The Zfc is the one I mentioned. I was not aware that it is Dx/APSC

-D.S.