Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SESNON wide auto 1:2.8 25mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: SESNON wide auto 1:2.8 25mm Reply with quote

Yesterday at a flea market I bought a lens I had never seen before. It is a SESNON wide auto 1:2.8 25mm.
It is a lens with several unusual features that I had never encountered. First of all, it is an auto M42 lens that has an interchangeable (T2-type screw mount), which transmits the closing of the diaphragm through an extension pin. Then it has the ability to slide the diaphragm control ring (which has two opposing scales) so that you can have the correct indication of diaphragms with different attachments. Third detail, the ball that allows the clicks of the ring, one of the most unpleasant elements to handle when disassembling lenses, is placed in total safety from the outside through a hole on the ring, normally closed by a screw-cap. The mechanics appear very robust and well maintained. The optical performance, on the other hand, is modest and in line with a first-generation wide-angle retro-focus lens. I will add some examples in the future.

I hope someone can add some information or speculation on this rare bird

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread about these orange scale lenses. Manufacturer not properly identified yet. Might be a boutique one, later merged with bigger company.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
There is a thread about these orange scale lenses. Manufacturer not properly identified yet. Might be a boutique one, later merged with bigger company.

I think this is the thread you're referring to:

http://forum.mflenses.com/auto-t-the-most-obscure-interchangeable-mount-t10869.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pancolart and Heritagecameras for sharing, very interesting!

Here some samples.

Wide open:

_A1A0053 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0060 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0061 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0062 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0068 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0066 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

@ F:11

_A1A0067 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0063 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0064 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

_A1A0065 by sante.castignani, su Flickr

Maybe usable for dreamy images, who knows

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably early to be having floating elements, but if it did, the wider you go the more annoying the T/M42 mount is for getting precise flange distance.

Thats in my experience of 18mm Sigma lenses though- 25mm fairly narrower than that.

Looks good stopped down. I always wonder if something's wrong when you get that much softness wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
This is probably early to be having floating elements, but if it did, the wider you go the more annoying the T/M42 mount is for getting precise flange distance.

Thats in my experience of 18mm Sigma lenses though- 25mm fairly narrower than that.

Looks good stopped down. I always wonder if something's wrong when you get that much softness wide open.

Thanks for your comment.
Here we are way before floating elements age. The focus is correct to infinity, the lens looks centered and parallel since the symmetrical IQ fall, then I see nothing wrong aside a cheap lens with tons of spherical curvature. I am old enough to remember that kind of rendering as usual in cheap wide angles of first Japan generation. I also have a negative bias against all the japanese lenses with that pale blue coating, never found a really good one, I guess; of course not because the coating, but perhaps it's a kind of an indicator of a specific era.