Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pro-Varia 3.5/85-135, unexpectedly nice slide zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Pro-Varia 3.5/85-135, unexpectedly nice slide zoom Reply with quote

Not a Lieca lens for sure, and still a very decent performer for an old unknown slide projection zoom.

I put it on Sony Nex with a lens booster. No aperture control, so all shots are wide open, at f3.5. (I first noted the lens did not have the aperture indication. I was wrong then, it is clearly written on the barrel, I confused it with another slide zoom). The bokeh is not the mildest, but nicely uniform. At times it makes me remember a 100mm projector triplet by Angenieux.

Put on a lens booster the lens vignettes quite a bit, and this makes part of its character. Autocontrast applied improves slightly blowed SOOC jpegs (produced by the lens without hood). BW simple conversion seems to work perfectly well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. The lens must be pretty rare, can't find anything about it. Then again I never get any french results in Google.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the BW rendering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pro-Varia 3.5/85-135, unexpectedly nice slide zoom Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Not a Lieca lens for sure, and still a very decent performer for an old unknown slide projection zoom.

more than decent ! better than many zooms at full ap
pls send pic of the lens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows, thank you for you feedback!

Here are the shots of the lens. I am not sure it is French. It could also be a German one. There is no precision on the barrel. I tried to remember the circumstances in which I got it (was it attached to a projector or alone, was it from a French or a German seller, etc.) and found no trace, which is unusual. So, for the moment it remains a riddle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more samples.

#1 This one shows how the lens renders detail in close field

#2 This one and the next is a simple BW conversion with minor exposure corrections

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Fellows, thank you for you feedback!

Here are the shots of the lens. I am not sure it is French. It could also be a German one. There is no precision on the barrel. I tried to remember the circumstances in which I got it (was it attached to a projector or alone, was it from a French or a German seller, etc.) and found no trace, which is unusual. So, for the moment it remains a riddle.

Strangely missing a hood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience I have never met a slide projection lens with a dedicated hood. Or you mean a protrudent part of the barrel itself?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
In my experience I have never met a slide projection lens with a dedicated hood. Or you mean a protrudent part of the barrel itself?

Yes, they almost always have a receded element/fixed hood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Meanwhile this one does not seem to have been modified.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more street shots taken with this lens and converted into BW.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
You are right. Meanwhile this one does not seem to have been modified.

Maybe it had a clamping hood, so you could change it with focal length.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. If we knew the projector it was attached to, this could be a hint.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the trace of my exchange with the lens seller. He was French, regularly selling second hand photo equipment, and he acknowledged to never heard about this lens before, neither of its origin. So not much to add, just the lens' latest location in France.