Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Rikenon 50mm 1.4 EE
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Auto Rikenon 50mm 1.4 EE Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Auto Rikenon 50mm 1.4 EE. It is a bit different from normal m42 auto lenses as it has a separate tab for stopping down the lens with Ricoh's EE shutter priority system. The problem is that there is no manual switch and the Ricoh special tab is in the way of a flanged adapter. Any advice for converting this so I can use it on a digital and be able to use another aperture besides wide open?

And I guess on a related note, is this lens worth the trouble? I don't have any other 50mm 1.4 (I have a helios 58mm f2, though, that is very good)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images of lens. Looks like the Serial number is 37? Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about early production. Look at all those zeros in the serial! That one looks like it's been banged around a bit. Maybe you can perform a leverectomy. I don't think you'll be hurting its value much. I have an excellent condition copy and thing it's a good performer on film.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be "valuable" due to the low serial number.... a lever-ectomy would screw that value. There are lots more 50/1.4 M42 lenses out there such as the Pentax SMC Takumar and Super Takumar which are mechanically excellent (much more than any Ricoh).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who would it be valuable to in this banged up condition?

Is there some way to temporarily fix the normal m42 pin in without ripping the lens it apart? I have a flangeless adapter I could use if the pin was pushed in some other way.

And I know there are better 50 1.4's, but I got this for basically free and don't really need another 50. If I could get it to work, great, but if not I will just use my Helios 44M.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes being metal, its nothing like the later production Rikenon lenses. I have a 50/2 and 135/2.8, the latter is surprisingly not a bad looking/performing lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a XR Rikenon 50mm f/2. I actually do not like the lens at all. I tried selling it on ebay at least 3 times and have come up empty. Starting bid was 9.99 USD... Confused Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats identical to mine, e
xcepting mine says:
XR RIKENON 1:2 50mm L
L instead of S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing about Rikenon's I forgot to mention

although they use PK mounts, they have a different register to Pentax, not by a lot at 0.04mm, but perhaps enough to make them look soft
Look under Ricoh

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the earlier version of this lens (non-EE, with A-M switch) as sold by Sears with their version of the Ricoh TLS.

Its a very nice lens, I like it a lot for low-light and portrait work. I seem to take it more than my Super-Takumar 55/1.4, I think I trust it more at f/1.4. The construction quality is excellent, not Takumar-class, but close.

That said, you can easily find a very cheap Ricoh TLS (maybe under the Sears brand) with the early version lens that needs no modification. Look for one under $20. And hopefully with no damage to the filter ring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: This turned out to be a pretty good lens! Reply with quote

So I finally got around to trying this on my digital SLR. I fixed (bent) the auto pin in so that I could have aperture control. Well, I can honestly say that I am pretty impressed with the lens considering I was not expecting much.

Some samples:

f1.4

f2

f5.6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !

You have a very lovely daughter !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very nice !

You have a very lovely daughter !

Thank you! The baby in the top image is my FOURTH daughter. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find much about this lens, but it looks like Cosina made it. An early adaptation of the 55/1.4 Tomioka design maybe. The lens seems to be radioactive. Typical yellowing.

rear, maybe flat but I imagine some curvature

pics from auction

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Can't find much about this lens, but it looks like Cosina made it. An early adaptation of the 55/1.4 Tomioka design maybe. The lens seems to be radioactive. Typical yellowing.

Interesting serial number.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Interesting serial number.

Like 1 small

The one in the second post is even lower. The EE system was very short lived because Ricoh switched to K-mount. Highest serial I've seen is in the 1600's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another image on ebay with a higher serial, so apparently a second batch was made. Also clearly visible a curved rear element, so no Tomioka derivative.

#1 serial

#2 rear element is convex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
. . .
The lens seems to be radioactive. Typical yellowing.

My Sears version (serial #105674) is yellowed and indeed radioactive. Radiation is stronger at the front of the lens, which is opposite of the preceding Sears (Rikenon) 55mm f/1.4 lenses which were also radioactive but have higher radiation levels at the rear compared to the front.

And the rear element of my EE 50 f/1.4 is the curviest I've seen among my fast fifties:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
. . .
The lens seems to be radioactive. Typical yellowing.

My Sears version (serial #105674) is yellowed and indeed radioactive. Radiation is stronger at the front of the lens, which is opposite of the preceding Sears (Rikenon) 55mm f/1.4 lenses which were also radioactive but have higher radiation levels at the rear compared to the front.

And the rear element of my EE 50 f/1.4 is the curviest I've seen among my fast fifties:

Interesting. So there is also a Sears variant. I wonder if there are more rebrands

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also seems to be different from the later XR rikenon 50/1.4 in K-mount. That also has a curved rear element but doesn't seem to protrude as far back from the mount. (m42 and K have the same flange focal distance) My Chinon 50/1.4 also K-mount has a flat rear element.

image ebay