Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TEST 2/50mm: Mamiya, Minolta, Nikkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: TEST 2/50mm: Mamiya, Minolta, Nikkor Reply with quote

While updating my website with reliable information on Mamiya lenses I did a quick comparison of four 2/50mm lenses:

* Auto Mamiya/Sekor 1:2 f=50mm
* Mamiya-Sekor E 50mm 1:2 S
* Minolta MD-III 2/50mm
* Nikkor "K" 2/50mm

CLICK FOR FULL RESOLUTION
(BEST TO DOWNLOAD AND LOOK AT IT USING e. g. PHOTOSHOP)

It's pretty amazing to see how well the Nikkor (in its "K" variant) is performing - especially since it was computed in the early 1960s. Interestinlgy, the earlier Mamiya Auto Sekor 2/50mm (also a 1960s lens) has quite similar properties as the Nikkor. Didn't Mamiya closely cooperate with Nikon back then, producing the "Nikkorex" ...? Maybe they learned also something about normal lenses from Nikon ...!?!
In the mid-1960s the f2.0 normal lenses still were regarded as the "top quality normal lens", better than the f1.4 and f1.2 lenses, and much better than the f2.8 Tessar type lenses (more on that later).

Anyway - fifteen years later Mamyia would produce another 2/50mm lens, this time clearly a budget lens. Knowing that Mamiya is famous for their normal lenses, I was a bit surprised to the slightly lower performance of the Mamiya-Sekor 2/50mm S lens. There's a simple explanation to that: Mamiya chose to make an excellent "real world" lens, thus allowing for some field curvature and get really great performance for "non-flat" subjects. Look at this:

It's obvious that - as long as we ignore field curvature which is hardly an issue when shooting reportage in available light - the Sekor E 2/50mm is an excellent lens and beats the Nikkor when it comes to contrast and details at f2.

The Minolta MD-III 2/50mm (not the same computation as the earlier MC and MD-I 2/50mm!) clearly was constructed as a budget lens as well - that was even mentioned as the main goal in the corresponding patents! Nevertheless Minolta managed to make a small 2/50mm lens that had well balanced image properties at f2, and is really excellent in the f5.6 to f11 range (less CAs than the faster Minolta lenses, and virtually no distortion at all [about 0.1%]).

Now let's go back to the Tessar. Both the eastern (Carl Zeiss Jena) as well as the western Tessars/Xenars (Zeiss Oberkochen, Schneider) were the most common German normal lenses around 1955-1960. Of course they were always promoted as "high quality", "Eye of the Eagle" ("Adlerauge") and the like. In reality however the Planar type f2 lenses mainily computed in Japan around 1960 were better - much better. Just look at these test shots from a 1975 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50mm:

The Tessar (and the Xenar as well, BTW) never really gets good enough for 24 MP FF. While in the Planar constructions shown above the aberrations are contained to the corners (90% of the image is very good even at f2.8 ), the Tessar type results in pretty visible aberrations ove much larger areas, even stopped down to f8 !

So yes, all the 2/50mm are still well suited for 24 MP (and even 43 MP) FF sensors.

1) Mamiya Auto Sekor and Nikkor: slightly lower contrast wide open, but very pleasing balance of the aberrations; excellent at f5.6, no CAs

2) Mamiya Sekor E 2/50mm: high contrast and high resolution even at f2, but visible field curvature (no issue for available light reportage), excellent at f5.6

3) Minolta MD-III 2/50mm: slightly lower corner resolution / contrast wide open, excellent at f5.6, and extremely low distortion!

S

Last edited by stevemark on Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TEST 2/50mm: Mamiya, Minolta, Nikkor Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Knowing that Mamiya is famous for their normal lenses, I was a bit surprised to the slightly lower performance of the Mamiya-Sekor 2/50mm S lens. There's a simple explanation to that: Mamiya chose to make an excellent "real world" lens, thus allowing for some field curvature and get really great performance for "non-flat" subjects. Look at this:

It's obvious that - as long as we ignore field curvature which is hardly an issue when shooting reportage in available light - the Sekor E 2/50mm is an excellent lens and beats the Nikkor when it comes to contrast and details at f2.

Nice tests. It would be interesting to do this refocusing in the corners for the other lenses, and see how they change.

stevemark wrote:

Now let's go back to the Tessar. Both the eastern (Carl Zeiss Jena) as well as the western Tessars/Xenars (Zeiss Oberkochen, Schneider) were the most common German normal lenses around 1955-1960. Of course they were always promoted as "high quality", "Eye of the Eagle" ("Adlerauge") and the like. In reality however the Planar type f2 lenses mainily computed in Japan around 1960 were better - much better. Just look at these test shots from a 1975 Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8/50mm:

Doesn't the discussion on the other thread explain this? And you're giving the one claimed to have sample variance etc as the example against the Double Gauss.

http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-tessar-2-8-5cm-pre-war-vs-post-war-computation-t84392.html

Last edited by eggplant on Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, very interesting.

The Mamiya Auto Sekor 50mm f/2 is a very nice character lens as well IMO:

AutoMamiya50f2DSC07950 by devoscasper, on Flickr
AutoMamiya50f2DSC07944 by devoscasper, on Flickr
AutoMamiya50f2DSC07952 by devoscasper, on Flickr

No experience with this particular Nikkor; is it optically similar to the Ai(s) 50/2?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not comment on the comparison since I only own the MDIII 50 2,0. I am a little surprised that the MDIII does not rank better but your pics tell the story. I have often realized that some lenses while not perfect in the extreme corners are fantastic performers in the angles and the rest of the field (let us say 95%) and I would prefer such a lens to an excellent performer in the extreme corners but less extraordinary on 95% of the field.

For example my MDIII 28 2,0 is better than the MDIII 28 3,5 except in the extreme corners.

This is to say that my MDIII 50 2,0 is at least as good as, and in reality better than Canon FD 50 1,4 and 1,8 and Minolta MDIII 50 1,4 and 1,7.

So my question is : if you ignore extreme corners and judge at 90% of the diagonal of the frame would you still have the same hierarchy? If yes I am doomed and must also become a Nikonist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe useful to post a comparison I did earlier between several Mamiya lenses. They're all pretty good performers. Note this is on Sony A7R2 (42+ mp), so crops look softer than on Sony A7.

comp14 by devoscasper, on Flickr
com1718 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp4 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp56 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp8 by devoscasper, on Flickr
comp11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

And most of them good performers wide open (click for full size):
Mamiya Sekor E 50/1.4:
DSC03431 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Mamiya Sekor E 50/1.7:
DSC03953 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.8:
AutoMamiyaSekor5518DSC08216 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

The Mamiya Auto Sekor 50mm f/2 is a very nice character lens as well IMO

Not only character lens, but also an excellent landscape lens since - stopped down - it has almost no CAs. Using it on the A900 can give stunning results - such as this one taken near the Lukmanier-Pass in Graubünden / Switzerland:

CLICK TO GET HIGHER RESOLUTION AND PROPER COLORS!

caspert79 wrote:
No experience with this particular Nikkor; is it optically similar to the Ai(s) 50/2?

There's no AiS 2/50mm Nikkor, but all the other versions should have the same computation (different coatngs, though). I have tested very early version alongside the Nikkor "K" tested here, and they are indistingishable when it comes to resolution and CAs.

lumens pixel wrote:
I could not comment on the comparison since I only own the MDIII 50 2,0. I am a little surprised that the MDIII does not rank better but your pics tell the story. I have often realized that some lenses while not perfect in the extreme corners are fantastic performers in the angles and the rest of the field (let us say 95%) and I would prefer such a lens to an excellent performer in the extreme corners but less extraordinary on 95% of the field.

I hade written - maybe not explicitly enough - that the Planars tested are excellent over "90% of the image field" (unlike most Tessars). Which means I completely agree with you.

Yet the MD-III I have tested, in the extreme corners, is weaker than the Nikkor. I suspect that the Minolta has better colors, but to prove this I'd have to re-run the test tomorrow (there were slight changes of the illumination of the foreground).

lumens pixel wrote:
This is to say that my MDIII 50 2,0 is at least as good as, and in reality better than Canon FD 50 1,4 and 1,8 and Minolta MDIII 50 1,4 and 1,7.

Agreed - the Canon colors usually are slightly duller compared to contemporary Minolta lenses, and the MD 1.4/50 has slightl more CAs/distortion than the MD-III 2/50. The MD-III 1.7/50 is weaker than the two others anyway.

lumens pixel wrote:
So my question is : if you ignore extreme corners and judge at 90% of the diagonal of the frame would you still have the same hierarchy? If yes I am doomed and must also become a Nikonist.

I just have re-checked the images taken with Nikkor 2/50 and MD-III 2/50. Detail resolution for both lenses is pretty much equal over 95% of the image (both at f2 and f4). Nevertheless I will partially re-run the test "Nikkor vs Minolta" with another sample of the MD-III 2/50, and with more stable light conditions.

S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
caspert79 wrote:

lumens pixel wrote:

I just have re-checked the images taken with Nikkor 2/50 and MD-III 2/50. Detail resolution for both lenses is pretty much equal over 95% of the image (both at f2 and f4). Nevertheless I will partially re-run the test "Nikkor vs Minolta" with another sample of the MD-III 2/50, and with more stable light conditions.

S

Amazing. Thanks in advance for that. I was really stunned by the sharpness and micro contrast of the MDIII 50 2,0 so I would be even more amazed if the Nikon was in any way better. That would mean that one could always raise his expectations.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lumens pixel"]
stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

lumens pixel wrote:

S

Amazing. Thanks in advance for that. I was really stunned by the sharpness and micro contrast of the MDIII 50 2,0 so I would be even more amazed if the Nikon was in any way better. That would mean that one could always raise his expectations.

I’ve had a Nikkor ai 50/2 before, and it was definitely a sharp lens. I think the MD 50/2 is still a great landscape lens though, although you have to stop down a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
. I was really stunned by the sharpness and micro contrast of the MDIII 50 2,0 so I would be even more amazed if the Nikon was in any way better. That would mean that one could always raise his expectations.

Thank you for insisting - I have re-done parts of the comparison, now with a more diffuse light less clear air, but that will only add to the understanding of the two lenses.

1) MInolta MD-III 2/50mm sample from yesterday performs exactly as a second sample, thus indicating that the results are representative for the lens

2) Minolta MD-III 2/50mm has a slightly better contrast in the center and in the field at f2, compared to the Nikkor "K" type 2/50mm (older single coated Nikkors might even be worse); at f4 Minolta colors look slightly more intense, at f8 no difference at all

3) Nikkor 2/50mm cleary has more distortion than the Minolta MD-III 2/50mm (although the Nikon E and AiS 1.8/50mm would fix that problem; Nikkor Ai however is another computation)

4) Nikkor around f4 has an advantage in the extreme corners

5) Minolta at f2 has more vignetting than the Nikkor at f2

AS USUAL IT'S BEST TO DOWNLOAD THE IMAGES ABOVE AND TO COMPARE THEM e. g. USING PHOTOSHOP

I hope this clarifies your questions!

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and relieving info. I am not committing to the Nikon system yet. There is ton of finesse to extract from any of these lenses anyhow. In most cases if you are not using 100 iso and a tripod you won't see much differences. For the jpeg shooters there is still the Minolta colours to influence the choice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several standard lenses to choose from that will deliver pretty excellent corner-to-corner image quality. In some of those lenses, you need some more stopping down than in others. For me, this is usually not a big deal. High ISO performance of modern cameras is so much better than it used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very interesting comparison and commentaries.

Nice to add the Minolta MDIII 50/1,4 TO THE mamiya one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: TEST 2/50mm: Mamiya, Minolta, Nikkor Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

It's pretty amazing to see how well the Nikkor (in its "K" variant) is performing - especially since it was computed in the early 1960s. Interestinlgy, the earlier Mamiya Auto Sekor 2/50mm (also a 1960s lens) has quite similar properties as the Nikkor. Didn't Mamiya closely cooperate with Nikon back then, producing the "Nikkorex" ...? Maybe they learned also something about normal lenses from Nikon ...!?!
S

Nikon was not immune to sample variation with the 50mm nikkors. I've come across it before, especially concerning contrast-in the K and K-based variants. While these lenses are capable of quality imagery, they take a bit of getting used to, especially the long focus throw of the K.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Yaeah, I might do a few 1.4/50 from around 1975-1980 soon. Canon nFD, Konica AR, Mamiya CS and EF, Minolta MC-X and MD-III, Nikkor, Olympus OM, Yashica ML, Zeiss CY ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

Yaeah, I might do a few 1.4/50 from around 1975-1980 soon. Canon nFD, Konica AR, Mamiya CS and EF, Minolta MC-X and MD-III, Nikkor, Olympus OM, Yashica ML, Zeiss CY ...

S

Pentax?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

S

Pentax?

I'd love to have an A 1.4/50mm for sure Wink
So far I've only the A 2.8/50mm Macro and the A 2/50mm ... not even an 1.7/50, let alone the 1.2/50 ...!

S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Nikkor and the Minolta.

After shooting them side-by-side I was surprised by how much sharper I found the Nikkor to be. The only area where I would say the Minolta is better is wide-open bokeh - that's really nice.

The humble 50 f2 is one of Nikon's best ever lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Nikon bokeh must be special. The MDIII 50 2,0 bokeh is a little bit nervous. I have realised that it is a characteristic of a lot of lenses that provide good contrast wide open.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison.