Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 50 f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Minolta MD 50 f2 Reply with quote

Minolta MD 50 f2. I just bought one really cheap. I know very little about this lens. I never researched it, because I never planned on owning one. The lens is in excellent shape. Might even be ex. +.
$2.24 for the lens plus shipping. Less than $8 total price.

How good is the plain Jane 50. I'd really like to see a bokeh shot with this lens.
Any reviews good or bad, are welcome.
Thanks Walter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is this Ebay pic.Looks like it might have one scratch on the body.
Looks great for the money. Very Happy
Now I have 3 49mm lenses and only one hood.No lens caps. I really need to buy some of new Minolta repo. caps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a scratch on it. Must have been a hair in the photo. Really haven't found much about this lens on the net. Very, very common lens, but no test results.
I found a couple bokeh shots, but the quality of the shots was not very good.
I will test this lens and post my results.
Here are a couple pics of the lens. I wouls rate it at ex.+.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking I had this lens as well but upon checking it is a Sears 50/2 that I have not played with much at all. I guess why yours looked familiar is because it is much like my Minolta 50/1.4.

Last edited by revers on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got that for a real steal. I'm interested to see some photos taken with it - maybe it will be a good lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving another old thread. I did post test images in other threads from this lens.
These 3 shots are using the Nikon J1.
First 2 shots are at f2, last shot is at f4.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice shots, Ed. I have most of the Minolta 50s (I think I have 16 or so Minolta 50/50ish lenses) except the f2. I have thought about buying one to try it, because as you confirmed here, Minolta never made a bad 50mm lens and they all have slightly different character.

Since there is so much talk tonight about Minolta 50s, do you have the 55 1.9? It was the kit lens on the SRTs for only a couple of years in the early 70s, so you see them less, but it's smaller than the 45 f2 and I really enjoy using it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Really nice shots, Ed. I have most of the Minolta 50s (I think I have 16 or so Minolta 50/50ish lenses) except the f2. I have thought about buying one to try it, because as you confirmed here, Minolta never made a bad 50mm lens and they all have slightly different character.

Since there is so much talk tonight about Minolta 50s, do you have the 55 1.9? It was the kit lens on the SRTs for only a couple of years in the early 70s, so you see them less, but it's smaller than the 45 f2 and I really enjoy using it.

Thanks. I do have a 55 1.9. I sorta forgot I had one. Thanks for reminding me.
I've only used it a couple times. So I'm looking forward to trying it again.
I also have the 55 1.7 which in my opinion is a really good lens.
Do you have one.?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older thread, but I recently came across a 50 mm f/2 as MD-III like Walter has got. I'm pretty sure that this is the sharpest 50 mm I own, at least in the center. Stopped down a bit, the corners catch up quickly, too. Contrast is great, micro contrast is awesome, there is little haze wide open and the flare resistance is top notch. Even shot directly into the evening sun, it was hard to provoke any flare at all. I never expected to enjoy this cheap lens so much - it's just extremely straightforward to shoot with Smile

(JPEG, OOC, cropped, resized)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the samples, I'd say this lens performs every bit as well as the 1.7/50 thus making it a very fine lens indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Rokkor....it's gotta be good. Wink

Seriously, every 50ish Rokkor I have is excellent. I guess this one doesn't get the popular vote because it's slower - and the faster lenses are still available at a decent price.
I wouldn't hesitate to get one of these.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Dave. I love the 1.7/50 and 2/45 and have become very impressed with the 1.4/50 I bought a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the moment i got a Rokkor lens on the NEX3 years ago i was fascinated by them. They even got me shooting film again!
By now i have more than 30 different Minolta SR mount lenses, one of which is this 2/50.

Somehow it's an underdog, nobody seems to be interested in these cheap kitlenses. Even i have never used mine..... Embarassed

It deserves better i think, it shows right here why! I need to use it and post some samples here!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
From the moment i got a Rokkor lens on the NEX3 years ago i was fascinated by them. They even got me shooting film again!
By now i have more than 30 different Minolta SR mount lenses, one of which is this 2/50.

Somehow it's an underdog, nobody seems to be interested in these cheap kitlenses. Even i have never used mine..... Embarassed

It deserves better i think, it shows right here why! I need to use it and post some samples here!

Please do. I think you will like the lens.
I need to get mine out. I haven't tried it on my Panasonic G5 yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly among all my several Minolta fifties there is not even one 50/2. I just checked my inventory....
Only different MC and MD versions from F1.2 up to F1.7 and the MD 45/2.
Obviously I've also underrated this lens by far. Wink
However, the (Rokkor) MD II 45/2 (introduced 1978) was actually the predecessor of the shown (plain) MD III 50/2 (1981). The optical formula is the same (double-Gauss 6/5).
The 45mm lens is even a little bit more compact and seems to have a comparable performance.
Time to test this lens as well..... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some dull and grey weather, lot's of fog in the morning and evening.... not the most perfect light conditions for a some good shooting but i could not resist and put the 2/50 on the A3000.

These 4 shots are unprocessed, i just put a watermark in them, otherwise straight JPG from the camera.
(full size on Flickr)
The last shot is wide open.

It really is an underestimated lens!

Minolta MD 2/50 by René Maly, on Flickr

Minolta MD 2/50 test by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Interestingly among all my several Minolta fifties there is not even one 50/2. I just checked my inventory....
Only different MC and MD versions from F1.2 up to F1.7 and the MD 45/2.
Obviously I've also underrated this lens by far. Wink
However, the (Rokkor) MD II 45/2 (introduced 1978) was actually the predecessor of the shown (plain) MD III 50/2 (1981). The optical formula is the same (double-Gauss 6/5).
The 45mm lens is even a little bit more compact and seems to have a comparable performance.
Time to test this lens as well..... Wink

The Minolta MD 50 f2 is reaaly a sharper lens than the 45 f2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

The Minolta MD 50 f2 is reaaly a sharper lens than the 45 f2.

Maybe. I don't know.

However, having tested my Rokkor 45/2 lens this afternoon I can certainly say that it's perfectly sharp as well. Only the contrast looks rather soft fully open, but this increases dramatically if stopped down. As from F5.6 it's more or less flawless, tack sharp and very contrasty; at least for my taste. Tests performed on Ricoh APS-C, on FF or any other camera it may be different. I'll post some test shots later in another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta 50 f2 and Rokkor 45 f2 are of course two different lenses.
The 50 f2 is a more homogeneous lens at wide apertures especially wide open. As consequence it is far more usable for composition.
The 45 f2 is weak out of the center at f2.

Minolta 50 f2 at f2 raw out of the camera ( a7)

Minolta 50 f2

Rokkor 45 f2 same conditions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
The Minolta 50 f2 and Rokkor 45 f2 are of course two different lenses.
The 50 f2 is a more homogeneous lens at wide apertures especially wide open. As consequence it is far more usable for composition.
The 45 f2 is weak out of the center at f2.

Thanks for the test pictures.

So I am really happy to use my 45 mm lens only on APS-C. Wink

Would be interesting to know whether there is sample variation as well. From the sample pictures from Stephan (Artaphot) there is hardly any visible difference on APS-C (he used Sony NEX for comparison). On FF it's obviously different at least from your copies of those lenses.

Nevertheless, I'm still happy with my "poor quality" 45 mm lens as well. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50/2 came mounted on an XG-M, and I've used it only once - with film. The scanned negs looked washed-out with strange colours,
with the result that I've never even looked at this lens again. Your beautiful shots make me think I've been unfair not to give it a go on
digital.

I also have the 45/2, which I got out of curiosity about the focal length. I don't use that one much either. I'll have to give them both
another go and see what they can produce.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog looks nice lens, congrats! I bought also to get hands on experience , but no time yet to try it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was still on the A3000 i used it some more, to be honest, i am uite impressed with it's wide open performance!

Here is one more shot at full aperture, f/2 :

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
My 50/2 came mounted on an XG-M, and I've used it only once - with film. The scanned negs looked washed-out with strange colours,
with the result that I've never even looked at this lens again. Your beautiful shots make me think I've been unfair not to give it a go on
digital.

There are two versions of the MD 2/50mm:

1) the MD-I, identical with the earlier budget lens MC 2/50mm
2) the MD-III

The MC-X/MD-I has a rather mediocre performance, the MD-III however is a real Rokkor, even though the "Rokkor" name was not used any more at the time of MD-III lenses.

While eg an MD-III 1.4/50mm has equal detail resolution as the MD-III 2/50mm (the MD-III 1.7/50mm is inferior!!), the slower 2/50mm has nearly no distortion - contrary to the MD-III 1.4/50mm, which has a rather hefty (about 3%) barrel distortion.

Stephan

EDIT see my tests of various MC/MD 50mm lenses on 16 MP APS-C here: http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas/322-nex-5n-und-minolta-50mm-objektive-teil-ii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Mine is the MD-III, with the lock on the aperture ring.
Can't say I've noticed distortion on the 1.4 but to tell the truth I don't give my Minolta lenses enough use these days.