Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to unscrew lens bezel (beauty ring)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: How to unscrew lens bezel (beauty ring) Reply with quote

Hi all,
I know there are tools available for this job but I never owned a set because I was always able to remove bezels using this method:
Make sure you clean the front of the lens before you start, and wash your hands.
Cut small pieces of double-sided sticky tape (the thin kind, not the thick foam) and stick them to the bezel, avoiding the glass if you can.
Remove the backing paper and just unscrew by pressing your fingers on the tape. It really is as simple as that.
I've repaired hundreds of lenses, always using this method, and have never marked a lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to unscrew lens bezel (beauty ring) Reply with quote

unclemack wrote:
Hi all,
I know there are tools available for this job but I never owned a set because I was always able to remove bezels using this method:
Make sure you clean the front of the lens before you start, and wash your hands.
Cut small pieces of double-sided sticky tape (the thin kind, not the thick foam) and stick them to the bezel, avoiding the glass if you can.
Remove the backing paper and just unscrew by pressing your fingers on the tape. It really is as simple as that.
I've repaired hundreds of lenses, always using this method, and have never marked a lens.

Sometimes the beauty ring is glued on. How do you remove it if that's the case? Most newer lenses have glued on beauty rings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to unscrew lens bezel (beauty ring) Reply with quote

unclemack wrote:
Hi all,

Seriously?

You have repaired hundreds of lenses and still the modest investment of £40 or so for a decent set of rubber lens bezel removal tools didn't seem sensible?

Don't get me wrong; your suggested method often works. However, if you anticipate fixing more than a small number of lenses, a set of those dedicated rubber/vinyl removal tools are really worth investing in as they are also vey handy for removing all sorts of other stuck retaining nuts/lens groups and are also very handy for offering up aperture assemblies and lens groups during reassembly...

In any case, if you are serious about lens repair the modest cost of those rubber removal tools should not matter too much anyway, as you will be spending much more on all sorts of other essential tools such as quality screwdrivers, vernier callipers, spanner wrenches, filter repair tools, collimators, lubricants, etc.

EDIT: Ha, just noticed this was a revived original post of 2010. The advice still stands though... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I've got the gray color set, but i found it a bit mushy on some lenses , so finally grabbed a yellow one (no holes in em) and they act more firmly. Of course I've tried many options , but there are many lenses that would be a pain in the back not using proper tools

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
At first, I've got the gray color set, but i found it a bit mushy on some lenses , so finally grabbed a yellow one (no holes in em) and they act more firmly. Of course I've tried many options , but there are many lenses that would be a pain in the back not using proper tools

Like 1 Like 1