Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Raynox 2020 add-on 2.2X teleconverter on Canon 100/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Raynox 2020 add-on 2.2X teleconverter on Canon 100/2 Reply with quote

In this discussion http://forum.mflenses.com/with-2-teleconverters-would-an-f5-6-lens-be-f16-t83972.html in addition to other topics, there has been discussion of tele-optical add-ons, which differ from the more common teleconverters in that they are applied in front of the lens, and not between it and the camera. On this occasion, having myself a Raynox 2020 2.2x, I realized that there is very little information on the web about the results that can be legitimately expected from these add-ons, which compared to common teleconverters have the advantage of not causing a loss of brightness, except that due to the absorption of the glass. One may register, as in the examples published below, vignetting, more evident as much larger the diameter of the starting lens is. Other disadvantages include a noticeable lengthening of the minimum focusing distance, and, at least in my case, an annoying longitudinal chromatic aberration, which the software cannot completely remove, and may disturb in certain images. The following examples were taken with a Canon EOS-R + Canon EF 100/2, always wide open; resulting focal length is 220 mm f:2; only the last image of the tower was taken at f:8, which made the vignetting more visible. No sharpening, just resized and adjusted brightness and contrast, very slight interventions, because the images come out already very vivid.

Finally, the depth of field is undoubtedly that typical of the resulting focal length/native speed, which is not the case with common teleconverters, obviously because of the lowering of relative brightness (two stops in the case of a 2X)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty disturbing vignetting. It also seems to do weird things to the field of focus, most evident in image #3. I would just crop the images taken without a TC; plenty of detail would be retained with that excellent EF 100/2.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the exit pupil of the TC is unsuitable for lenses with an entrance pupil like the Canon EF 100/2. Way too much vignetting and poor bokeh.

I would agree with caspert79 that cropping would be your better option here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Pretty disturbing vignetting. It also seems to do weird things to the field of focus, most evident in image #3. I would just crop the images taken without a TC; plenty of detail would be retained with that excellent EF 100/2.

Thanks for your comment.

Well, I don't really need to crop the 100mm, I have the Canon EF 200/2.8 and the Leitz Apo Telyt 180/3,4 in that range, and I don't know how many zoom lenses that also cover the FL.

...but in this forum we have seen so many experiments, such as all those with projection lenses, the Petzval, the Biotar 75 or Helios 85, where aberrations, much more pronounced than these, become a 'creative' motif, that I personally have no difficulty in imagining many situations in which a rendering such as this could serve certain expressive purposes.

It must be remembered, however, that the biggest users of these add-ons remain videomakers who use fixed lens cameras, and who therefore have little choice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Clearly the exit pupil of the TC is unsuitable for lenses with an entrance pupil like the Canon EF 100/2. Way too much vignetting and poor bokeh.

I would agree with caspert79 that cropping would be your better option here.

Same here.
Thanks to you, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly at longer distance targets it looks pretty alright- see shot #9, #11 and #13. Even shot #10 looks okay.

The vignetting has certainly changed the look of the lens but it hasn't destroyed it. I could however be looking at a selective sample. I would also like to see firm comparisons between cropping aswell.

I'm not sure on the recommendations to crop. Half of these shots are about depth of field!

Did you correct for vignetting before uploading these?

I would still adjust expectations wisely based on the size of the rear element. It's certainly not 50mm across:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great object / background separation and airy volume the lens gives to the whole picture.

In some shots it looks like a long version of Fujian 35mm. And to put it clear, I consider this to be a merit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Honestly at longer distance targets it looks pretty alright- see shot #9, #11 and #13. Even shot #10 looks okay.

The vignetting has certainly changed the look of the lens but it hasn't destroyed it. I could however be looking at a selective sample. I would also like to see firm comparisons between cropping aswell.

I'm not sure on the recommendations to crop. Half of these shots are about depth of field!

Did you correct for vignetting before uploading these?

I would still adjust expectations wisely based on the size of the rear element. It's certainly not 50mm across:

The samples haven't been corrected for vignetting at all. I am sure that there is a lot of room for improvement in PP, and with a little sharpening those files would allow fine results for most purposes.

I am non sure about cropping, too; my eye is much more prone to forgive optical weaknesses, than digital artifacts, and to emulate a double FL by cropping, a 32 mp sensor would be used only for 8 MP. As said, it's not a 200mm that I need for, but there could be some situations where such a tool could be not totally an odd idea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Great object / background separation and airy volume the lens gives to the whole picture.

In some shots it looks like a long version of Fujian 35mm. And to put it clear, I consider this to be a merit.

Thanks for your comment, yes I agree, the pictures are not technically perfect, but have something anyway. If got for cheap, a similar tool would allow a lot of playing in trying all the possible combinations with own system.