Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Selectaflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Agfa Selectaflex Reply with quote

Any experience, opinion ?

Similar construction like Voigtlander Bessamatic or Kodak Retina SLR. It seems very well made and heavy cam!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks brand new! Congrats! Looks almost exactly like the Bessamatic...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, where DO you find these things - ? Haven't seen one of these for, er, maybe 40 years ! It's almost like an slr successor to the Ambi Silette, crossed with an Optima III. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Attila, where DO you find these things - ? Haven't seen one of these for, er, maybe 40 years ! It's almost like an slr successor to the Ambi Silette, crossed with an Optima III. Very Happy

Laughing Happy part is in local shop , sad part a collector did pass away and his children did bring into shop, this is usual circle of my local finds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solinar lenses have a good rep! I keep `chance bidding' on Agfas; I have owned 2, but the 1st had a jammed shutter so I'm cautious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Selactaflex too but haven't used it. The shutter release has an odd feel to it.

I also have an Agfaflex outfit with 3 lenses which I prefer.

The lenses for the Selectaflex will fit the Agfaflex but not the other way around. There is a small difference in the mount of the later Selectaflex lenses to accommodate the auto exposure feature.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dof, how about lens quality ? I like very much whole set how they are built, can you tell me your serial numbers ? Mine is low TO2201 , I try to figure out how many made from this camera.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens quality is very good! Like Tessar/Xenar.

serial numbers:
Selectaflex body = MU 2004
Selectaflex 50/2.8 = 447685

Agfaflex body = AV 3169
Agfaflex 50/2.8 = 431389
Agfaflex 35/3.4 = 25034
Agfaflex 135/4 = 14004

Here is my Agfaflex with 135 & 50. I also have some 46mm Agfa filters that were made for these lenses. I will take a shot of my Selectaflex later and post it too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this one an "auto exposure" version where you selected the shutter speed and the meter mechanism chose the aperture ? I think I remember it that way anyway Confused

what a beautiful camera !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Selectaflex has Auto or Manual exposure. The Agfaflex is Manual only. Both have selenium meters (non-TTL).

The Agfaflex also has interchangeable finders. They are all beautifully made with thick chrome plating including the lenses which are gorgeous.

They use leaf shutters in the body and have very nice screens with split-image focusing. One down side is the top shutter speed is only 1/300.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Dof!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to find out something about this model, I reached out to FoMu, a Belgian photo musem (Fotomuseum) (Lydia, thank you!). From a catalog they sent me you can see that Selectaflex was made in three versions, all in the same year - 1963: Selectaflex, Selectaflex I and Selectaflex II.
More info HERE.http://zstupar.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-collection-agfa-selectaflex.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is a beauty Attila. I look forward to some pictures.

Sad to see someone who loved cameras die and his children start selling off the things he worked so long to collect.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me looks more than a bessamatic, an ultramatic cs. This one was automatic and manual too.shutter speed preferrnce.

Nice camers. Congrats!!!

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, would you mind posting a nice detail pic of the body mount? Also of the lens mount?

It would be helpful to see how they differ from the "standard" Agfaflex body and lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer, that link you posted with the Agfa catalog info seems to be dead.

You wouldn't happen to have downloaded those pages? Or perhaps someone else here saved them?

I looked on the internet archive, and no joy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Agfa Selectaflex Reply with quote

I know this is an incredibly old thread, and I posted up on two such, but I'm looking for some further information on Agfaflex/Selectaflex interchangeability, and hoping someone from this thread might help.

I've read that Selectaflex lenses fit Agfaflex, but not the other way around, due to the auto exposure feature on the Selectaflex. I found an obscure post that implies the Agfaflex lenses do "fit", physically, on Selectaflex, just that auto exposure won't be available. Anyone know for sure? Seems unlikely Agfa would have changed the entire mount, but one never knows!

Thank you, DS

Attila wrote:
Any experience, opinion ?

Similar construction like Voigtlander Bessamatic or Kodak Retina SLR. It seems very well made and heavy cam!