Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ELICAR 1:5.5 80-200 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: ELICAR 1:5.5 80-200 mm Reply with quote

A lens I picked up out of sheer curiosity, attracted by the minimal size, and of course an enticing price. The peculiar thing is that I have never heard of it, and indeed am curious to learn more about it from the forum.

The first shots were taken wide open to evaluate sharpness on a planar subject, at focal lengths of 80, 100, 135 and 200 mm.

As can be seen, at the smallest focal length the homogeneity is good, but as it goes up, a fairly conspicuous decentering emerges; for reference, the last photo is taken with a Canon EF 1:2 100mm wide open

This is followed by a series of informal shots wide open:

My conclusion is that it is a nice and uncommon lens, certainly not exceptional in either specifications or quality, but that if it were the only lens with me in an interesting situation, it would not prevent me from taking excellent photos, technically speaking, of course.

All the pictures are JPGs straight from the camera.

I apologize for the rotated photos, by clicking on them they appear correctly, I don't know how to correct this problem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been curious about this end of the scale. I have seen these branded as Hoya. I think one of the advantages at the time was the slightly closer focus capabilities of this lens?

An equally small in the hand, but newer and faster option would be a Sigma ZOOM-K II 70-210mm f/4.5. It's hard to get an idea from online photos, but it doesn't extend when zooming, but is really nice and compact:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: ELICAR 1:5.5 80-200 mm Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
A lens I picked up out of sheer curiosity, attracted by the minimal size, and of course an enticing price. The peculiar thing is that I have never heard of it, and indeed am curious to learn more about it from the forum.

My conclusion is that it is a nice and uncommon lens, certainly not exceptional in either specifications or quality, but that if it were the only lens with me in an interesting situation, it would not prevent me from taking excellent photos, technically speaking, of course.

All the pictures are JPGs straight from the camera.

I apologize for the rotated photos, by clicking on them they appear correctly, I don't know how to correct this problem

Elicar = Panagor = Jaca corp, usually top quality lenses from various sources : mainly kino &komine

One of the reason which explains why they are not so well know as vivitar or soligor ... is that they are more honest on actual aperture : ie the 90mm macro from komine is indicated as 3.0 on panagor models, 2.8 on vivitar's and 2.5 on soligor's and it's true opening is ~3.5 (= the soligor has ~one full stop difference with reality !!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this lens is Kino or Komine. Probably from the mid-eighties in the waning days of Jaca when AF was destroying their market.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I don't think this lens is Kino or Komine. Probably from the mid-eighties in the waning days of Jaca when AF was destroying their market.

I confirm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ELICAR 1:5.5 80-200 mm Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Elicar = Panagor = Jaca corp, usually top quality lenses from various sources : mainly kino &komine

One of the reason which explains why they are not so well know as vivitar or soligor ... is that they are more honest on actual aperture : ie the 90mm macro from komine is indicated as 3.0 on panagor models, 2.8 on vivitar's and 2.5 on soligor's and it's true opening is ~3.5 (= the soligor has ~one full stop difference with reality !!)

I am no stranger to the Elicar brand, I used to sell them new when I was a store clerk in the 70s/80s, and I myself had a 28 2.8 also sold under the brand name Avanar and others, which did very well, despite having the front lens of a very soft glass that literally crumbled along the edge at every slightest stress...what I didn't know about is this combination of focal range and low brightness. I have seen some 100/200 5.6 , some 100/300 5.6 , but never an 80-200 5.5 , but your explanation of Elicar's transparency policy on real brightnesses might explain this unusual configuration, maybe others sold the same lens as a F4,5!