Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contessa-Nettel Sonnar Anastigmat 135/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Contessa-Nettel Sonnar Anastigmat 135/4.5 Reply with quote

Just for fun Smile

I tried this interesting lens this Friday.

Sigma SD14 -> SA-M42 adaptor -> macro bellow (not mine) -> M42-M39 adaptor ring -> Contessa-Nettel Sonnar Anastigmat 135/4.5 in Compur shutter (not mine).

Here are 3 quick shots (sorry for the noise), all of them wide-opened:

100% crop:

I think the lens is quite sharp for such old product...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Contessa-Nettel Sonnar Anastigmat 135/4.5 Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Just for fun Smile

Nice results - for fun Smile

Quote:
I think the lens is quite sharp for such old product...

The configuration of that lens is similar to a Tessar (1+1+2) so it can be very well corrected, the maximum aperture is reasonably small, and you are using only a very small area from the center of the image circle so it ought to be sharp - modern lenses added just coating for higher contrast, faster apertures, wider usable FOV and (sometimes) a smaller size. Bellows mounting an old lens like this gives you a very flexible tool if you can live with the lower contrast and the somewhat higher tendency to flare - and contrast can often be quite dramatically improved with judicious use of USM after RAW conversion. These old lenses are good enough for most photography - real photography, that is

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled upon an old folder with a curious Sonnar Anastigmat on it. That seemed to me pretty rare, as in my mind Sonnar is tightly related to rangefinders era.

A quick internet search brought me back to the forum, with very nice samples and a piece of info attesting the lens closer to Tessar than the widely known Sonnar. Good to know.