Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SIGMA YS 2.8/200mm wide-open on 5DmkII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: SIGMA YS 2.8/200mm wide-open on 5DmkII Reply with quote

All shots wide-open. I think pretty unique background blur. I left soft contrast and light colors alone. I like them.
Heavy lens. Heavy compared even to 4/300mm Sigma YS. Macro (soft focusing) mode doesn't makes much sense.

Press on photo for 1440px.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I like the rendering. Congratulation!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Wow, I like the rendering. Congratulation!

+1, seems to be a realy good lens!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice photos, especially the bokeh on the portraits!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! It seems to have a bit of 3D nice effect:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Here few more samples. Look at the 4th photo shot against the sky - it's hard to believe this milky blur isn't a product of post-processing.
All samples shown are from 1 hour walk.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a soft spot for 20mm and fast 2.8/200mm lenses.

Today I saw a Sigma YS 2.8/200mm on the local flea market. For 20 bucks I got one of those beasts, in nice exterior condition but with some issues. Many years ago I somewhere had bought a YS 2.8/135mm with its crazy Macro setting (resulting in supersoft images at closer distances), and the YS 2,8/200mm somehow must have a similar mechanism (which up to now I couldn't unlock). In addition the lens has three spots of about 3mm diameter where the inner front doublet seems to separate. No problem at f2.8, but clearly resulting in a reduced contrast at f11. Otherwise the lens looks pretty shiny and almost like new:

Wide open the Sigma YS 2.8/200mm is somehow soft (probably spherical aberrations). On the other hand the longitudinal CAs are not as bad as one might expect from a budget 2.8/200mm from the mid-1970s (100% crop from the CENTER of 24MP FF image - Sony A7II):

Just for comparison here the same crop from a Nikkor AiS 2.8/180mm ED which one of the best and most expensive fast 180mm/200mm lenses from the mid-1980s:

The different image characteristics of both lenses are evident. I assume that the Sigma would produce cool images e. g. at concerts, especially in strong backlight ("The Glow"). Portraits may also work well.

Stopped down to f8 the Sigma becomes surprisingly good. Sure enough, it has not more lateral CAs than the expensive ED Nikkor! I really wonder how the lens section of the Sigma looks like. According to contemporary Sigma prospects it is a [6/5] construction. First a 100% corner crop of the Sigma at f8:

Now the Nikkor AiS 2.8/180mm ED, also at f8:

And finally, just for fun, the finest vintage MF tele zoom I know at the moment, the Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm:

It's really astonishing to see an old MF tele zoom outperforming (clearly outperforming!) the famous Ais ED Nikkor 2.8/180mm - at least when it come to image quality at f8. Of course the Nikkor is smaller and f2.8 ...

Another interesting point of the Sigma is its extremely soft bokeh (probably related to the type of spherical aberration correction).

Last but not least: the Sigma YS 2.8/200mm is large and heavy: At 1190g (Minolta MD bayonet) it is nearly as heavy as my Minolta AF 2.8/70-200mm APO G D (1285g), and heavier than the Tamron AT-X 2.8/80-200mm (1045g)!

S

Last edited by stevemark on Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I am always curious about there Sigma YS mount XQ lenses.

Maybe you could try the 300mm f/4 out from the early line?

There's a detailed test online of the 500mm f4 mirror lens, and it doesn't come up brilliantly, but it did need some restoring.

Can you show some corner crops of this lens?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Interesting. I am always curious about there Sigma YS mount XQ lenses.

Maybe you could try the 300mm f/4 out from the early line?

I don't have that one, and I've never seen one here in Switzerland ...

eggplant wrote:
Can you show some corner crops of this lens?

Yes sure ... you can find them in the above posting! Here they are again Wink:

stevemark wrote:

Stopped down to f8 the Sigma becomes surprisingly good. Sure enough, it has not more lateral CAs than the expensive ED Nikkor! I really wonder how the lens section of the Sigma looks like. According to contemporary Sigma prospects it is a [6/5] construction. First a 100% corner crop of the Sigma at f8:

Now the Nikkor AiS 2.8/180mm ED, also at f8:

And finally, just for fun, the finest vintage MF tele zoom I know at the moment, the Mamiya Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm:

It's really astonishing to see an old MF tele zoom outperforming (clearly outerforming!) the famous Ais ED Nikkor 2.8/180mm - at least when it come to image quality at f8. Of course the Nikkor is smaller and f2.8 ...

S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming this lens dates back to the early 70s? For that age, it seems to do a remarkable job, especially as is related to various chromatic aberrations, which the lens doesn't seem to display. In that respect, it does a better job than my Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8, which handles chromatic aberrations rather poorly.

Sharpness seems to be good, and I like the bokeh. Makes me want to get one. None found on eBay at this time, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'm presuming this lens dates back to the early 70s? For that age, it seems to do a remarkable job, especially as is related to various chromatic aberrations, which the lens doesn't seem to display. In that respect, it does a better job than my Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8, which handles chromatic aberrations rather poorly.

When it comes to CAs (both lateral and longitudinal) the Sigma is much better corrected than the nFD 2.8/200mm IF. Here the 100% corner crops from 24MP FF of the Canon nFD 2.8/200mm IF:

And now the Sigma, also corners at f8:

cooltouch wrote:
Sharpness seems to be good, and I like the bokeh. Makes me want to get one. None found on eBay at this time, though.

Bokeh certainly is very smooth, no doubt about that. Sharpness? Look at the center of the Canon nFD 2.8/200mm IF, at f2.8:

And now the SIgma, also center at f2.8 - more spherical aberrations and less loCAs, obviously:

I suspect the Sigma might be OK for portraits, and it should have a nice "glow" when doing strong backlights e. g. at rock concerts. But at least my sample (with the tree spots mentioned above) might also also have problems with that. Be aware of potentila glass separation issues if you find one for sale! I have seen several of them here in Switzerland, usually in the 20.-- to 50.-- CHF range, but they aren't exactly common.

S

BTW Minolta MD-II / MD-III 2.8/200mm has similar issues with CAs as the Canon nFD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this thread. I'm surprised. A friend of mine had one of these Sigmas 200. He never managed any sharp picture with it, so I passed on one or 2 occasions. This may be one more lens where one should be able to test before buying. There is a test of the 300 somewhere which is apparently not so good either. Another "Test it before" case? [/list]