Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the sharpest 24mm lens you know of?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: What is the sharpest 24mm lens you know of? Reply with quote

What's the sharpest 24mm lens you know of? Looking for great corners at say f5 ish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 2.8/24, Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 later version, Minolta MD 2.8/24 last version and Nikkor 2.8/24 are all really excellent, but I think you're better off looking for a modern lens as ultrawides have improved immensely in the last 30 years.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma superwide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma is a pretty poor lens compared to modern standards, like I said, with ultrawides, things have improved immensely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used only three 24mm prime lenses on a full-frame camera: a Canon 24mm f/2.8 SSC, a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AIs, and a Tamron 24mm f/2.5 Adaptall-2.

Of the lot, I have to give the nod to the Canon. Its sharpness on the corners was excellent. The Tamron's was also outstanding, but not quite as good as the Canon. The Nikon came in a very distant 3rd. Its edge and corner sharpness was what I would describe as poor. Disappointing, actually. I mean, it is a Nikon AIs, after all.

I also own a Tamron AF 24-70mm in EOS mount, a Tamron SP 24-50mm Adaptall-2, and a Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm in Canon FD mount. The only one of these three zooms I've had any decent experience with at 24mm is the Tamron 24-70mm AF, and it performed very well. The other two I've used mostly with my crop-sensor Sony NEX 7, so I can't comment as to corner or edge sharpness with that setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor-N 24/2.8 (9 elements), which is Nikon's first lens featuring close-range-correction floating element. It is very good, a larger lens and different formula from the later AIS.

I picked up the 24/2 AIS- very impressive. Was looking for the 24/2.8 AIS, but got the F2 for less.

The Nikkor-H is the 28/3.5 (6 elements). "it's an okay lens stopped down."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically a zeiss zf? Other suggestions of low plastic modern? Or am I still too vintage?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
So basically a zeiss zf? Other suggestions of low plastic modern? Or am I still too vintage?

A Sigma 24mm DN or a Loxia 25 if you need a full manual lens.

The SIGMA 24mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary is designed with an emphasis on aperture value and performance, achieving an F value that is more than one stop brighter.

The SIGMA 24mm F3.5 DG DN | Contemporary is designed with an emphasis on compact size and close-up shooting capability. Although it has a less bright aperture, it achieves a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 in a more portable body.

If you don't mind plastic and AF, Samyang/Rokinon AF 24mm F1.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the manual Samyang/Rokinon 24mm F1.4 ED AS UMC. It's a big lens for a 24mm https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-24mm-f1-4.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon TS-E 24mm Mk II.

On vintage 24s I’ve tried quite a few, they do seem particularly prone to sample variation. e.g I’ve owned 4+ nFD and one has been very poor and one great. The OM has been pretty consistent over several copies.

My own ranking best to worst;

Olympus OM 24/2.8 (2 copies)
Canon FDn 24/2.8 (best copy)
Olympus OM 24/2
Yashica ML / Sigma Mini-Wide II
Zeiss 25/2.8 C/Y (except extreme corners)
Tokina 24/2.8
Canon FDn 24/2.8 (worst copy)
Tamron AD2 24/2.5 (suspect it was a bad copy)

The upshot is the only vintage lens above that I’d buy another copy of with any confidence of decent performance is the OM 24/2.8. I’d also use the only at 5.6 in a pinch.

These are subjective and not all of the lenses have been shot back to back, or particularly recent as I switched from a Sony a7r back to DSLR about 5 years ago.

Edited to add the Sigma following the Post below. I remember the Mini-Wide being broadly equivalent to the Yashica ML, which I did have at the same time and in C/Y fit.

Last edited by bp_reid on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alignment of elements is much more critical on wide lenses, so if there is some play it usually has an effect on centering. The Sigma Super-Wide II is always mentioned in 24mm topics, but Sigma's have so so build quality. So it is advisable to look for a mint looking copy (and hope it isn't mint because it was decentered in the first place).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably skip anything vintage.

Take a look here https://phillipreeve.net/blog/fe-lenses-sony-comprehensive-independent-guide/#24-28mm

And here

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-canon-new-fd-24mm-12-8/

From f5.6 things look decent across the frame, but many vintage ultrawides can atleast achieve that, if they're not too old.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is the sharpest 24mm lens you know of? Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
What's the sharpest 24mm lens you know of? Looking for great corners at say f5 ish

Define "great corners". There is always a compromise.

Are you looking for corner sharpness only, or also round bokeh-balls, no vignetting, less CA, less coma etc. ?

If you are willing to compromise a (tiny) bit on centre & overall sharpness, then picking a good 24mm tilt/shift lens used at the central position will give you much better corners in pretty much all other aspects.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs. I was looking around at what was on evilbay, and found what looked to be a good deal on a Zeiss Classic 25 F2 Distagon F mount so I pulled the trigger. Looking for a lens that could be used on both the A7 and the Gfx. It will mount to an F to M adapter and then go to a hellicoid on the Sony or a straight M on the gfx. This Has excellent sharpness at 5-8. Supposedly has usable coma for ASTRO, and isn't plastic. The criteria of using it on the gfx gets rid of E-Mount lenses. No plastic gets rid of the most of rest. Will post some samples when it arrives

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Leica M 24mm 1:2,8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my M42 Vivitar 28 / 2 by Kiron, it's a lens I use a lot. Maybe not the greatest lens but it's good, at 2.8 it's very good.

I've put a Clubman 28 / 2.8 Macro in my for sale box ready for the Camera Fair on Sunday, but it has a price tag of £35 because I'm more than happy to bring it home. I think it's an Ensinor, and actually rather good. I might not put it on the table...

There's a Hoya 28 / 2.8 in the sale box, that's where it belongs.

I love my Tefnon 28 / 2.8, that's on the shelf with the Vivitar, where it belongs.

I've had a Carl Zeiss Jena II 28 / 2.8 which was dire, I gave it away...I wouldn't sell it to anyone.

I've also had a couple of Sigma Mini Wide's, didn't like them at all, I think they are very over rated.

The best are my Olympus Zuiko and Minolta Rokkor 28's, are they better than the third party lenses? yes, but that doesn't make lenses like the Vivitar and Tefnon bad lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That CZJ II is either a Sigma or a Cosina, if it looks just like a Sigma, then it is one, if not, it's a later model made by Cosina. They are usually pretty dire, both versions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Alignment of elements is much more critical on wide lenses, so if there is some play it usually has an effect on centering. The Sigma Super-Wide II is always mentioned in 24mm topics, but Sigma's have so so build quality. So it is advisable to look for a mint looking copy (and hope it isn't mint because it was decentered in the first place).

In my experience, the Sigma Super-Wide II is more often subject to decentering than first party lenses. I'd guess that quality insurance was not one of the priorities of Sigma back then. If the lens is well centered (i've got two good samples, one with and one without AF...), it matches more prestigious lenses (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) for sharpness but lacks a bit in terms of stray light and flare. So most of the time, i use my first party lenses since in landscape and travel photography, you don't control the light.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had four copies of the Sigma in MF, 2 more in AF, only one copy was worth using - there's a reason why they are so cheap to buy secondhand, no-one wants them because there are much better 24mms readily available.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yashica ML 2.8/24, Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 later version, Minolta MD 2.8/24 last version and Nikkor 2.8/24 are all really excellent, but I think you're better off looking for a modern lens as ultrawides have improved immensely in the last 30 years.

Here you are - corners from the lenses mentioned above (minus the Nikkor Ai/AiS which is slightly worse than the Minolta MD-III):

PLEASE CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGE TO GET THE FULL RESOLUTION!

Unlike my usual 24 MP FF tests, these were done using the 43 MP FF sony A7RII. The 50 MP class sensors are much more demanding on vintage lenses; thus 24 MP images would look quite a bit better!

Now if you take the best of these lenses at f11, and if you correct lateral CAs, the Minolta MD-III is perfectly suitable for landscapes even with sensors of the 50MP class:

S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Gatorengineer64 wrote:

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Here you are - corners from the lenses mentioned above (minus the Nikkor Ai/AiS which is slightly worse than the Minolta MD-III):

PLEASE CLICK TWICE ON THE IMAGE TO GET THE FULL RESOLUTION!

Unlike my usual 24 MP FF tests, these were done using the 43 MP FF sony A7RII. The 50 MP class sensors are much more demanding on vintage lenses; thus 24 MP images would look quite a bit better!

Now if you take the best of these lenses at f11, and if you correct lateral CAs, the Minolta MD-III is perfectly suitable for landscapes even with sensors of the 50MP class:

S

Nice test as always.

I had a MDIII and sold it when I received my second copy of the Sigma. Corners at infinity were better on the latter.

I shimmed my adaptor to be sure I was not messing with the floating elements which improved a tad the MD but still not up to the sigma. Maybe my copy was imperfect from the start since infinity was reached a little before the mark on the focus ring while most of my other Minolta are quite exact. I had two copies of the MDIII to no avail.

Maybe I should chase another one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

I had a MDIII and sold it when I received my second copy of the Sigma. Corners at infinity were better on the latter.

I shimmed my adaptor to be sure I was not messing with the floating elements which improved a tad the MD but still not up to the sigma. Maybe my copy was imperfect from the start since infinity was reached a little before the mark on the focus ring while most of my other Minolta are quite exact. I had two copies of the MDIII to no avail.

Maybe I should chase another one.

Interesting information! I have at least two copies of the Sigma II AF version, and I'll check that.

S

EDIT: I've just been comparing my MD-III 2.8/24mm with two copies of the Sigma Super Wide II 2.8/28mm (Minolta AF mount) and one of my several Minolta AF 2.8/24mm copies. One of the Sigmas is comparable to the MD-III, the other one especially at f2.8 is better than the MD-III, thus conferming your observation (and Ian's about sample variation of the Sigma). The MinAF 2.8/24mm I just tested is in between the "good" and the "slightly less good" Sigma.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider f4,5 sufficient on a good sample of the Sigma.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
P FF tests, these were done using the 43 MP FF sony A7RII. The 50 MP class sensors are much more demanding on vintage lenses; thus 24 MP images would look quite a bit better!
I don't think I agree with that. On either sensor the corners will not be out-resolved. If you insist on 1:1 cropping you will end up with larger crops on a 42mp sensor than on a 24mp sensor. So you are comparing two different magnification levels as if they were the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
P FF tests, these were done using the 43 MP FF sony A7RII. The 50 MP class sensors are much more demanding on vintage lenses; thus 24 MP images would look quite a bit better!
I don't think I agree with that. ...
If you insist on 1:1 cropping you will end up with larger crops on a 42mp sensor than on a 24mp sensor.

Of course! That's the idea behind getting a sensor with higher MP, after all ...

[/quote]So you are comparing two different magnification levels as if they were the same.[/quote]
Sure ... what's the problem??

S