Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro vs Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro @infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro vs Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro @infinity Reply with quote

Infinity comparison between the Minolta AF 50/2.8 macro (3 floating groups optical system) vs the rather simple Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro. Camera used: Sony A7RII @ ISO 100. 100% crops.

comparison28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Comparison4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

I must say I didn't expect these results from the Yashica ML, as it is supposed not to be great at infinity. Wide open, I think the Minolta is slightly better in the center. At all other apertures, I think center performance of both lenses is pretty much equal. In the corners however, the Yashica obliterates the Minolta. In fact, I think the Yashica is my best performing lens in this regard, in this focal range, with very respectable results already wide open. At f/5.6 the corners are almost perfect on the A7RII sensor, getting even better at f/8 and f/11. Great surprise!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the Yashica here. There is a pleasant glow wide open that can be put to effect. If you don't want it you can stop down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I would prefer the Yashica here. There is a pleasant glow wide open that can be put to effect. If you don't want it you can stop down.

Yes, plus You could probably get rid of it in PP pretty easily.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to compare the Yashica to the Nikkor ai(s) 55/2.8 macro. Unfortunately I don’t have that one anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8 micro is excellent ,but I don't find it very easy to use for landscapes , probably because mine is a bit wobbling .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are both macro lenses; corner performance at macro magnifications vs. use at infinity will be a trade-off, even when using floating focus.

The difference in corner performance of the Minolta vs Yashica here may simply reflect a difference in philosophy between the designers, in as far as how much to optimise for macro performance but also still allow for acceptable infinity performance.

A comparison at 1:1 magnification ratio (and higher when used on bellows) may reveal more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Minolta is bad at infinity; it's comparable to the MD 50/2 I found out before. But the Yashica is just incredible.
I will do a comparison soon at macro magnification.