Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 105mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Komura 105mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

After mistakenly posting this first in another forum, I'm re-posting here in MFL forum. After seeing a Komura 105mm post from Nordentro (f/2 version), I have been looking for a 105mm. I tend to like Komura IQ and this one is no different. I found this one on ebay out of Australia - it had a funky mount with no explanation of what it was, but I gambled that an M42 mount I have here would fit (they're interchangeable). When the lens arrived, I discovered that the mount was actually just an M42 adapter of some type and the actual lens mount is M42, so I lucked out. I've taken a few test shots around the yard and find it not razor sharp fully open, but acceptable. There is a glow of sorts like Nordentro reported earlier. Stopping down just a little helps the lens get sharp while still maintaining good bokeh - or at least bokeh that I like. I'd like to do a few portraits if I can get my daughter to cooperate or my dog to sit still. Here are first shots:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's very impressive!!

Could you show us the size of the lens? (by putting the CF/SD card beside itu maybe). Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take so long, Nix... and thanks for your interest. I rather like this lens, but I am also partial to Komura.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pics, looks like a very special lens, you should try shooting some portraits with it.

Are Komura lenses sold under other brands? Can't say I've ever seen a Komura branded lens. Promura, yes, but Komura, no. In fact, I have a Promura 4.5/300 I need to take apart and clean. If Promura is a rebrand of Komura you just motivated me to get the screwdrivers out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: I am not familiar with Promura. Thanks for the reminder about portraits. I did finally get a chance with two of my girls ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparison photos. Cute small lens indeed. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to do a proper walk-about with the Komura 105mm. These from Sunday...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, so much sharper than either my Primotar 135 or Jupiter 11A 135, definitely want to pick up any komuras I see!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy one for sharpness alone. I doubt it's as sharp as Jupiter (I don't have Primotar). I just happen to like Komura as a package - IQ, handling, build quality.

In fact, I am having trouble with this lens that I do not yet fully understand. Too many of my pictures are lacking sharpness and also seem to have a strangeness about them. I wonder about refraction, except I only use down to f/5.6. I cannot yet tell if it's a focus problem, infinity, or something more sinister.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worse than I thought - the lens checks out okay.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

show us some of the strangeness!

With my 135/2.3 komura I saw strangeness when I attempted to use it on an ES-II, but so far it's been fine on a K100D.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's so sinister about it? It's probably an Ernostar type, just like my Komura 80mm f/1.8 (M42). Very soft wide open, but it quickly gets better while stopping down. Also the color definition of the Komuras are very good and your samples show it.

Some samples with my 80mm f/1.8 Komura: http://forum.mflenses.com/a-winter-walk-ii-komura-80mm-f-1-8-t23752.html

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I implied by my last post is that the problem has turned out to be me. And I think a combination of things... first, it looked as though it focused past infinity, so I have been backing off a tad as I do with most M42 adapted lenses. Problem was that I never confirmed it and just now it proved good at infinity, so I was in error to back off. Beyond that, I had to have been experiencing movement, so I'll have to redouble my attention to that.

Some pictures were so sharp that I was confused at what was going on, but that should have told me it was me, not the lens. To comply with Nesster, here is one strangeness image that was certainly not infinity. The in-focus area looks distorted to my eyes. Movement? Well, it was 1/60 sec. I'm getting too old to still be making these mistakes.

And here's one where I probably made that unnecessary adjustment:

Peter: I would love to add the 80mm f/1.8 to my Komura collection, but the prices!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster: I use a SONY A200, 10mp CCD.

Peter: That 80mm seems to be a no excuses lens. Of course, you do have a way with lenses. I presume it has the many blade diaphragm characteristic of Komura lenses? Thus the bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nesster: I use a SONY A200, 10mp CCD.

Peter: That 80mm seems to be a no excuses lens. Of course, you do have a way with lenses. I presume it has the many blade diaphragm characteristic of Komura lenses? Thus the bokeh.

In my example the diahpragm is perfectly round at all f/stops. Not a star like in your copy.

BTW: I'm glad the lens is not at fault but that it was you Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Don't buy one for sharpness alone. I doubt it's as sharp as Jupiter (I don't have Primotar). I just happen to like Komura as a package - IQ, handling, build quality.

+1 I had Komura 135, 200mm sharpness was average , all other thing was great especially their color rendering.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beautiful portrait lens.
Here is a shot from today
Tom

Crop from above

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely portrait!
Happy Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Lovely portrait!
Happy Cat

Thank you.
That was in a very thoughtful mood.
She is usually quite bright and cheerful.
Taken with the same lens - Sankyo Kohki Komura 105mm f2.5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me that it's a Unidapter lens. Does the rear have "UNI. P" engraved on it? That would indicate Unidapter for Pentax.

My Komura 100/1.8 currently has a UNI P mount on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
Looks to me that it's a Unidapter lens. Does the rear have "UNI. P" engraved on it? That would indicate Unidapter for Pentax.

My Komura 100/1.8 currently has a UNI P mount on it.

Yes, it has UN P on the back.
I'll get a picture as soon as I can
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images of the lens itself.
The lens is quite short. The lens hood is attached to a filter and a stepping ring.
Tom