Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst WW 1:1.8/35mm MC AUTO H - anyone know this lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Porst WW 1:1.8/35mm MC AUTO H - anyone know this lens? Reply with quote

Hello,
Check out this listing for pictures >>> https://foto.bazos.cz/inzerat/153116157/porst-1835mm-red-mc-ww-auto-m42.php
I have the option to purchase this f/1.8(!!) 35mm m42 lens in mint condition for about 173 euros. But prior to that, I would like to know if it's well corrected at all, it seems like a rare specimen and I wonder how much distortion it has, how sharp it gets stopped down etc. I would most likely use it on APS-C for some infrared photography and in case it's compatible with my EOS 6D, I'd definitely find some use there as well.
Thanks for any info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens was made by Mitake probably in the 70s sometime. I have the same lens, and have only really tried it at F8. At that aperture it is as good as the other 3rd party fast 35mm lenses I tried, which were the Soligor 35/2, and the Vivitar 35/1.9, which means quite good, for that era. It was not as good as the Canon 35/2, but it doesn't cost as much as that lens.

Mitake made a series of (for them) premium lenses which included a 135/1.8, a 28/2 and a 24/2.5. Of those four, the 35mm lens is the pick, of the samples I tried. I paid slightly less than you did (about 140 euro) about 2 years ago for my copy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look for a Rokkor MC 35/1.8 for about the same price? 173€ sounds like a lot of money for this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Why not look for a Rokkor MC 35/1.8 for about the same price? 173€ sounds like a lot of money for this lens.

That was exactly my thought as well. Here in Switzerland the MC-X usually goes for 150-200 CHF; the earlier MC-I (and probably also the MC-II) can be quite a bit cheaper. I bought my MC-I for about CHF 75.-- a few years ago.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fujinon-TV 1.7/35 c mount lens covers APS-C, has superb IQ and often costs about 15-20eu on ebay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
That lens was made by Mitake probably in the 70s sometime. I have the same lens, and have only really tried it at F8. At that aperture it is as good as the other 3rd party fast 35mm lenses I tried, which were the Soligor 35/2, and the Vivitar 35/1.9, which means quite good, for that era. It was not as good as the Canon 35/2, but it doesn't cost as much as that lens.

Mitake made a series of (for them) premium lenses which included a 135/1.8, a 28/2 and a 24/2.5. Of those four, the 35mm lens is the pick, of the samples I tried. I paid slightly less than you did (about 140 euro) about 2 years ago for my copy.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Because that one is not m42. Something about the universality of that mount intrigues me and increases the price I'm willing to pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Fujinon-TV 1.7/35 c mount lens covers APS-C, has superb IQ and often costs about 15-20eu on ebay.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add it on my list of lenses to own in the future.