Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 1:1,8 28 mm Aspherical MK II manual focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Sigma 1:1,8 28 mm Aspherical MK II manual focus Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.
I have just bought this lens, but will only receive it in September because both the seller and I are on holiday; I have seen that the manual focus version of this lens is uncommon, and I would not have bought an AF for the known problems. The reason I was looking for a bright wide-angle lens is to gain in ISO compared to my zoom lens, also because I often shoot scenes with people moving around, and IS is counterproductive, because it gives you a security that turns out to be detrimental when the only thing sharp are tables and chairs, and human figures become ectoplasm. Being a fairly limited use, the budget was tight, and this seemed like an interesting option, if I was not satisfied I could resell it without serious loss, But the question is if anyone knows this lens, because I found very little on the web. When I get it I will do a small review on these pages,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma and Tamron for that matter made a number of their autofocus lenses (roughly 1985-1999) in manual focus counterparts, often identical in appearance. I'm not sure how they handle differently, I'm sure old reviews would tell you.

Maybe this lens being labelled "MANUAL FOCUS" is a little more literal than I've seen before though.

Sigma made a 28mm f1.8 high speed wide in the mid 1980s, I'm sure this Mark II performs a tad better in some regard. The markings are clearly 1990s Sigma, maybe towards the end of the decade?

The change in appearance from early 1990s to late 1990s Sigma lenses was not always consistent in my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the marks on the barrel and partially rubbed-off lettering, this lens may be finished in their dreaded "ZEN" soft-touch coating. Hopefully it isn't, otherwise it may be a very sticky lens to the touch...

If it has the soft-touch ZEN coating, that finish can be rubbed off with IPA (isopropyl alcohol), but you would lose all the markings as they are screen-printed on top of the deteriorating ZEN coating Sad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as historical information is concerned, I actually found all the details: https://lens-db.com/sigma-mf-28mm-f18-aspherical-ii-zen-1994/ It is the ZEN series, if necessary I don't mind losing the lettering, but the seller claims it is not sticky. What I couldn't find was any information or pictures on the performance of this lens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that lens before it was stolen with almost all of my best stuff. Performance was good (good enough for my purposes), but the aperture ring was extremely hard and very unpleasant to use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
I had that lens before it was stolen with almost all of my best stuff. Performance was good (good enough for my purposes), but the aperture ring was extremely hard and very unpleasant to use.

Thank you, that does not bother me too much since I don't plan an heavy use; glad to know that you were pleased with the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an album on Flickr, looks fairly good

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hair3e/14671328496/in/album-72157625989330719/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

Yes, and probably a fun lens to play with, considering the shallow DOF/ wide angle combination.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Yes, and probably a fun lens to play with, considering the shallow DOF/ wide angle combination.

Indeed. I have to say that in the past I used to have many (and way better) similar lenses: Leica Summilux 35/1,4 (both aspherical and not), Canon L 24 and 35 1,4, and so on. But it was another life, and photographers were a little richer Laugh 1

With the same specific I also had the Canon 28/1,8, a mixed bag really; now we will test this Sigma, for 100 euros I don't have too high expectations, wich is the secret of happiness, I guess...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ultrapix"] I don't have too high expectations, wich is the secret of happiness, I guess...[/quote]

Wisdom.

I am a manual focus user through and through, and had bought the regular AF version of this very lens cheaply a few years ago, with the intention of using it purely manually. The focus grip was a bit too small, which seems nicely remedied in your MF version. Everything else, including the aperture ring, was smooth and lovely to handle. And the image quality astonished me (positively, and not just for being a Sigma), even wide open on a 4o MP FF camera. Performance overall was better than the 7artisans 28/1.4 I had also tested! And I only sold the Sigma, eventually, because it gave such delightful images that I became prepared to spend more money and weight on a fast wide-angle.
I think you'll be very happy Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
I don't have too high expectations, wich is the secret of happiness, I guess...

Wisdom.

I am a manual focus user through and through, and had bought the regular AF version of this very lens cheaply a few years ago, with the intention of using it purely manually. The focus grip was a bit too small, which seems nicely remedied in your MF version. Everything else, including the aperture ring, was smooth and lovely to handle. And the image quality astonished me (positively, and not just for being a Sigma), even wide open on a 4o MP FF camera. Performance overall was better than the 7artisans 28/1.4 I had also tested! And I only sold the Sigma, eventually, because it gave such delightful images that I became prepared to spend more money and weight on a fast wide-angle.
I think you'll be very happy Smile

Thank you so much! Thank you!

PS:
Christian, I scrolled through your Flickr feed, and let me tell you that you are an extraordinarily creative photographer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received the lens. Aside from the infamous ZEN finish (not yet sticky, anyway), it is in excellent shape. The glass performance itself is wonderful, but there is an annoying difference between the left and right sides. I think it is a mechanical problem, because by focusing them independently they show the same sharpness. I have not had time to open it yet, but I suspect that some front side play may be responsible for the problem. Other than that, the rendering is really excellent, and I will post some examples in the next few days.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first taste of wide open close up. This lens is really something for a fast cheap wide angle. JPGs straight out of the camera, untouched

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Very nice results indeed!

Thank you Caspert!
Unluckily I have to say that the front part, all plastic made, does not have the requested steadiness to keep the glass well aligned, so it's impossible to let the glass express its full potential.

I'll show later the amount of the issue when it comes to architecture.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, below are the tests in the landscape and architectural subjects.

the following images range from f:1.8 to f:11; as you can see the left side of the photo is much sharper than the right; if I press the front of the lens hard enough, forcing on some elasticity, the situation improves dramatically. in its normal state, the lens is not usable at the largest apertures for this type of subject.

Following are some shots of three-dimensional subjects taken at full aperture (I know that landscape is not shot at full aperture, but I wanted to simulate the condition I would face if it were nighttime, i.e., the situations for which it makes sense to buy a 28mm f:1.8 ); in this kind of subject the flaw is invisible or barely visible; if you pay attention, you can see that if there are objects closer to the camera on the right, they turn out sharp along with those placed farther away in the center or on the left.

And finally, same subject shot wide open and at f:8

For the kind of use I plan to make of the lens, i.e., events and human subjects, I can live with the flaw, but it is still a pity that a potentially very high optical quality is penalized by a mechanics that is not up to the mark.

All the pics SOOTC!

Thank you for your attention