Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hanimex HMC - MC Auto - 135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Hanimex HMC - MC Auto - 135mm Reply with quote

Picked this lens up today for a fiver. I have absolutely no idea what it is... Can't really find much info about it but it looked in great condition, I liked the neon green and it was a fiver...

It doesn't seem to step down and it's got a OM Mount... I think? But it doesn't seem like its original mount. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm intending to stick an M43 adapted on and try it out on my GX9 but this is my first foray into vintage lenses really.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanimex HMC - MC Auto - 135mm Reply with quote

Kcleworth wrote:
Picked this lens up today for a fiver. I have absolutely no idea what it is... Can't really find much info about it but it looked in great condition, I liked the neon green and it was a fiver...

It doesn't seem to step down and it's got a OM Mount... I think? But it doesn't seem like its original mount. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm intending to stick an M43 adapted on and try it out on my GX9 but this is my first foray into vintage lenses really.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome Kcleworth

Set at f/16. Does sliding one of those tabs in slots camera side of lens operate aperture?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanimex HMC - MC Auto - 135mm Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Welcome Kcleworth

Set at f/16. Does sliding one of those tabs in slots camera side of lens operate aperture?

When I press the buttons in either side of the mount one of the tabs moves and when I turn the apperture ring the other tab moves. But neither seem to effect the apperture, I don't see the blades at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely OM mount and that is the original mount that lens sold with - see that it has OM letters on the aperture ring.

It sounds like the aperture blades are stuck in the wide open position due to oil on them.

It can be cleaned off so the aperture works again, if you are the sort that likes taking things apart and fiddling with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's definitely OM mount and that is the original mount that lens sold with - see that it has OM letters on the aperture ring.

It sounds like the aperture blades are stuck in the wide open position due to oil on them.

It can be cleaned off so the aperture works again, if you are the sort that likes taking things apart and fiddling with them.

I've got an adapter coming tomorrow so will see what it's like wide open. Do you have any idea what to search for for more info... When I search Hanimex 135 MC it brings up a different lens.

It seems to be a macro lense? Or it has a weird macro extension that pops out the top. But I'm fairly new to this... So a bit of experimentation I think will be in order.

Would be good to get it back in full working order though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all the markings of a Makinon-made lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanimex rebadged a lot of different lenses so I'm afraid I have no idea who made that one.

There is a rule of thumb that there are no bad 135mms, and I think it's largely true - even the worst are still okay, so enjoy playing with it, you will propbably find much fun to be had exploring the bokeh it produces when you shoot close up objects.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hanimex rebadged a lot of different lenses so I'm afraid I have no idea who made that one.

There is a rule of thumb that there are no bad 135mms, and I think it's largely true - even the worst are still okay, so enjoy playing with it, you will propbably find much fun to be had exploring the bokeh it produces when you shoot close up objects.

I'm going to have a play around with it tomorrow and see what sort of images it produces. I've seen some sample galleries and as a macro it looks fairly nice with some good bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

Someone has suggested to me that with the OM mount it's a Hoya manufactured lens... Not sure how true this is but the reviews I've seen are fairly good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcleworth wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Someone has suggested to me that with the OM mount it's a Hoya manufactured lens... Not sure how true this is but the reviews I've seen are fairly good.

Hoya did not make lenses but stamped its name on lenses made by other companies such as Tokina. The Hanimex 135 mm f/2,8 was manufactured by Makina and it was one of the worst (if not the worst...) 135 mm third party lenses out there. But since all 135 mm lenses were somewhat Ok or better, you might be satisfied by the images taken a few stops down. I've had the Makinon already a few times and never kept them longer than a week or so...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not a Hoya or Tokina.

If you look on the common Makinon lenses, they all have the mount name on the aperture ring:

Hanimex name in the Makinon font:

The 'macro' next to infinity on your lens is also in the style/font of Makinon lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one(Makina), though it doesn't have the hazy green coating my 200mm F3.3 has.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Looks like one(Makina), though it doesn't have the hazy green coating my 200mm F3.3 has.

It's certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed but the colour, feel and bokeh is quite nice... Atleast, I like it... And you can't really complain for a fiver.

If I could get my head around the macro extension focusing bit though that would be good.

This is straight out of the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that lens with the Makinon name on it, also in OM mount, and it's not the worst 135 I've ever had, that's the Japanese Helios. It's not as sharp as many other 135's, but the Macro function is useful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcleworth wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'm going to have a play around with it tomorrow and see what sort of images it produces. I've seen some sample galleries and as a macro it looks fairly nice with some good bokeh.

Pretty decent macro results.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more shots I've taken today. I quite like it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Nice colors! Never really sharp wide open; hope the diaphragm is easy to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Yes! Nice colors! Never really sharp wide open; hope the diaphragm is easy to fix.

The colour it is producing is the best bit of it. I'm going to take it apart on Thursday and see what's going on with it. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots taken with mood and care! One can clearly note you really like the lens in action. And this is the main thing in your relationship with the equipment. This way you may get the best from its technical imperfection. And that's what you clearly show here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almaza321 wrote:
Hanimex lenses are the best for microphotography. Fence Installation Mcallen

Sure and you are the best for spamming Twisted Evil