Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Screwdrive AF = Mechanically coupled?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Screwdrive AF = Mechanically coupled? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Am I correct in thinking that screwdrive AF lenses by definition have mechanically coupled focus rings and can therefore always be manually focused?

My experience so far with manually focusing screwdrive lenses is that this is ergonomically an unpleasant experience because of the often narrow focus ring and short throw. And that they don't always / often don't have an aperture ring requiring an adapter that includes a mechanism to do this. But I have found that sometimes in a pinch a screwdrive AF lens can be useful.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's gears in the lens driven by a screwdriver in the camera. Always put the camera in manual mode when manually focussing (or the lens if it has an AF/MF switch to decouple the gears from the camera), or you will harm your in camera AF motor by forcing it's gears.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I have a "dumb" adapter between the lens and the camera, so no risk of damaging gears.

Thanks for the answer Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwdrive AF = Mechanically coupled? Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
My experience so far with manually focusing screwdrive lenses is that this is ergonomically an unpleasant experience because of the often narrow focus ring and short throw.

May I ask which lenses are you finding unpleasant?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Screwdrive AF = Mechanically coupled? Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
connloyalist wrote:
My experience so far with manually focusing screwdrive lenses is that this is ergonomically an unpleasant experience because of the often narrow focus ring and short throw.

May I ask which lenses are you finding unpleasant?

My experience with manually focusing screw drive lenses is admittedly limited, but I have a Minolta-AF 100-200mm and a Minolta-AF 100-300mm. Both are excellent lenses optically as far as I can tell and not heavy. But on both the focusing ring is a bit narrow and the throw is somewhat shorter than I would like. Nevertheless, if I need a good 100-200mm or 100-300mm lens then these are definitely at the top of the list.

Perhaps I should add that I use these on a M4/3 camera with adapter, so the screw drive is not attached to anything. Somewhat to my surprise the focusing ring does have enough resistance to be usable in that respect.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the short rotation of the focus grip on autofocus lenses in general makes me avoid them.

Even the slightest rotation of the focus ring takes you from focusing far too long to focusing far too short. It makes finding the "sweet spot" using focus rocking, circle-of-confusion symmetry and muscle memory nigh impossible (assuming live focus and not use of a focus wedge).

Too many AF lenses have their entire focus throw allocated in only a 45 to 90 degree turn or so. The most pleasant of my MF lenses give 180 to almost 330 degrees of turn for the same focus throw; much more precise...

If focus precision is your priority, I would stick with older MF lenses.

(It can be taken too far though; a very long rotation combined with too much dampening makes finding the sweet spot using focus rocking & muscle memory also difficult to achieve).

Referring to your original post, the lack of an aperture control on the lens is a complete non-starter for me when adapting legacy lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to AF lenses, I'm old school. I want an aperture ring. I don't care much about the screw drive, but an aperture ring and a well-damped focusing collar are important. The AF lenses that exhibit these qualities the best are Nikon's D Series AF lenses. All the ones I've tried, and own, have adequately large, and well-damped focusing collars. They all have aperture rings with crisp click stops. And they all focus plenty fast for my needs. So, I'm content with these lenses. Perhaps best of all, because they are older tech, you can pick up nice examples for cheap. One example I can think of off-hand is the 70-300mm ED zoom, which can often be found for well below $100. I own two. One came with an F3 kit I bought (go figure) and the seller was basically just tossing in the lens because he had no use for it, and another came as a body cap for another camera I was after. So I paid little to nothing for the two I own. I also own a "nifty fifty" D-series 50mm f/1.8, and a 28-105mm D-Series zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early screwdriver lenses probably were existing designs modified with the necessary cogwheels. My Angenieux zooms optics were recalculated from its earlier wide limit of 35mm to 28, when issued as autofocus, but maintained the large and easily grippable , entirely mechanically coupled focus control ring.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For screw drive AF the focus throw needed to be short and light in order to be fast enough, so manual focus is not ideal. If it were dampened the focus motor would have to work too hard. I have a Pentax FA AF 100mm 1:2.8 macro that does have a long throw and therefore slow focussing. It has a focus limiter to help with that a bit and a manual mode with a clamp that ads some resistance to to focus ring to help with accurately focussing manually. Most older AF lenses still have an aperture ring. At least Pentax (and probably Nikon) kept them in the film AF era. Canon and Minolta were sooner to ditch them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The AF lenses that exhibit these qualities the best are Nikon's D Series AF lenses. All the ones I've tried, and own, have adequately large, and well-damped focusing collars. They all have aperture rings with crisp click stops. And they all focus plenty fast for my needs

That's what I was going to say. The Nikon D series lenses I've tried have been really good for manual use - and they're excellent optically as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
Early screwdriver lenses probably were existing designs modified with the necessary cogwheels.
p.

I can't speak about CaNikon, but most 1st gen Minolta AF lenses were not only new designs, but often were using completely new concepts such as "Rear Focus" or "Double Floating Focusing".

MinAF 2.8/16 mm Fish: Design based on the MC 2.8/16mm Fish, probably with slight adaptions
MinAF 2.8/20 mm: completely new design with "Rear Focus"
MinAF 2.8/24 mm: completely new design with "Rear Focus"
MinAF 2/28 mm: based on the MD-III 2/28 mm, with Floating Focusing
MinAF 2.8/28 mm: based on the late [5/5] MD-III 2.8/28 mm
MinAF 1.4/35 mm: completely new design with "Rear Focus" and large aspherical glass lens
MinAF 2/35 mm: completely new design
MinAF 1.4/50 mm: probably same design as MD-III 1.4/50 mm
MinAF 1.7/50 mm: probably same design as MD-III 1.7/50 mm
MinAF 2.8/50 mm Macro: completely new design with "Double Floating Focusing"
MinAF 1.4/85 mm: completely new design with "non-linear Floating Focusing"
MinAF 2/100 mm: completely new design with "Floating Focusing"
MinAF 2.8/100 mm Macro: completely new design with "Double Floating Focusing"
MinAF 2.8/135 mm: completely new design with internal focusing and LD glass
MinAF 2.8/200 mm APO: completely new design with internal focusing and two large AD glass lenses (AD = anomalous dispersion)
MinAF 2.8/300 mm APO: completely new design with internal focusing and two large AD glass lenses
MinAF 2.8/600 mm APO: completely new design with internal focusing and two large AD glass lenses

MinAF 4/24-50 mm: completely new design
MinAF 3.5-4.5/28-85 mm: same optical design as MD-III 3.5-4.5/28-85 mm
MinAF 4-4.5/28-135 mm: completely new design; first zoom with "Rear Focus"
MinAF 4/35-70 mm: completely new design with aspherical lens
MinAF 3.5-4.5/35-105 mm: same optical design as 2nd version of MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105 mm
MinAF 4/70-210 mm: same optical design as MD-III 4/70-210 mm
MinAF 4/75-300 mm: completely new design, probably with either LD or AD glass
MinAF 2.8/80-200 mm APO: completely new design with AD glass
MinAF 4.5/100-200 mm: completely new design

All these lenses are pretty easy to focus manually when using digital cameras with EVF.
On (D)SLRs, however, I clearly prefer AF in most situations (macros being the only exception).

S