Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots Mamiya-Sekor C 300mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: First test shots Mamiya-Sekor C 300mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

This lens seems to be overlooked by most photographers. I bought this lens for 89 € on Ebay. Lens is surprisingly lightweight (just over 700 grams).

All images hand held, most of the @f/5.6 or f/8.

MamiyaSekorC30056_9 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaSekorC30056_6 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaSekorC30056_8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaSekorC30056_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaSekorC30056_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr

MamiyaSekorC30056 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. This is a 645 lens?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Looking good. This is a 645 lens?

Yes, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Canon 17L TSE and OM Zuick shift 28mm +35mm. Then I found the Fotodiox TLT ROKR (has a Faq if the adjustment slides) and a bit of invesigation Led to Mammiya 645 lenses.

During Covid I accumulated with FF equivalent in brackets:

150MM 3.5 Mamiya Sekor C (93mm)
55-110mm Mamiya sekor zoom c (34-68mm)
80mm 4.0 N Mamiya sekor Macro and spacer(50mm)
45mm 2.8 S Mamiya Sekor C (28mm)

I have not been out with them as I need a purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_645

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:
I had a Canon 17L TSE and OM Zuick shift 28mm +35mm. Then I found the Fotodiox TLT ROKR (has a Faq if the adjustment slides) and a bit of invesigation Led to Mammiya 645 lenses.

During Covid I accumulated with FF equivalent in brackets:

150MM 3.5 Mamiya Sekor C (93mm)
55-110mm Mamiya sekor zoom c (34-68mm)
80mm 4.0 N Mamiya sekor Macro and spacer(50mm)
45mm 2.8 S Mamiya Sekor C (28mm)

I have not been out with them as I need a purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_645

From the Mamiya 645 I’ve used so far:
- 120/4 macro
- 110/2.8
- 300/5.6

All of them seem to be excellent.
For anyone who wants to try these lenses out for themselves: don’t buy the Fusnid adapter: I tried two of them couldn’t focus any of my lenses to infinity. I have the Fotodiox pro now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does a decent job as a portrait lens:

MamiyaC30056b by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your image cleary proves that the Sekor C 5.6/300mm in fact is incredibly sharp and CA-free for a 1980s 300mm lens. I quite often use a 2.8/300mm for portraits since I like the more "neutral" perspective of the long tele lens (and the calm background of course). The 5.6/300 doesn't give a razor thin depth-of-field (which is not always desireable anyway), but more something like a 2.8/135mm.

Looking forward to more sample images taken with your "new" lens!

S

PS a Mamyia Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm ULD should arrive here next week. I'm curious to see whether it outperforms the Canon nFD 4/80-200mm L lens ... and how it compares to the huge and heavy Sekor C 4.5/105-210mm "non ULD"!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about that one too Stephan, I’ve never seen one IRL.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Curious about that one too Stephan, I’ve never seen one IRL.

I just bought a Sekor C 105-210 ULD for a very reasonable price (CHF 80.--) from a local seller, but I won't be able to pick it up before next week. It is much smaller than the earlier, huge non-ULD version (which I had gotten for CHF 20.-- in a local charity shop some years ago). Since the non-ULD is pretty good, I expect the ULD to be even better.

While the ULD at 875g is reasonably sized, the non-ULD at 1215g simply is too heavy to really use it on the A7 series. I mean a 2.8/70-200mm is by far more versatile ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a N ULD version of this lens anyone ever compared em ? It goes for the same price as an ED Nikkor IF, never seen a non IF for sale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
There's a N ULD version of this lens anyone ever compared em ? It goes for the same price as an ED Nikkor IF, never seen a non IF for sale

Stephan compared them and found no differences. So you can save some bucks here 😉

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone re-link that comparison post, or the comparison to other 300mm lenses? I can't readily find it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Can anyone re-link that comparison post, or the comparison to other 300mm lenses? I can't readily find it.

Stephan told me in another post, there are no images. There’s this post though:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-33-vs-nikkor-ed-if-4-5-300mm-vs-mamyia-sekor-5-6-300mm-t80908.html

The lens is pretty light as well. Only drawback I can think of is that the mfd is a bit long. That’s why I always bring a set of Meike extension rings in Sony E mount in my camera bag; they are good and very low weight.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won one for 1800 yen. The adapter to K-mount will cost me more.

edit:€ 43,66 to be exact from Ali (free shipping and VAT paid through OSS)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal, congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those Japanese sellers just don't bother checking out what they are selling. They just say "Operation is not confirmed". Most of the time it's just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick ones

Gnomekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Crazy catkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Housekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Mamiya looks really good. I saw the version of cx , n and uld n . I understand that the uld n version is the best with low-dispersion lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Interesting. Mamiya looks really good. I saw the version of cx , n and uld n . I understand that the uld n version is the best with low-dispersion lenses.

There's no difference between the n and uld n according to Stephan, who compared both.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a case of forgetting to mention improvements to the marketing department Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

There's no difference between the n and uld n according to Stephan, who compared both.

Correct.

sergun wrote:

What do you mean by "cx", "n", and "n uld"?

There is a Sekor SX 5.6/300mm, do you mean that one? Or the Sekor CS 4/300mm? Both are for full frame (24x36mm) format.
There are also the Sekor C 5.6/300mm and the ULD Sekor C 5.6/300mm N, both for the 4.5x6cm format.

When comparing the Sekor C 5.6/300mm and the ULD Sekor C 5.6/300mm N side by side on 43 MP FF, no difference can be seen. Obviously the older Sekor C also has ULD glass, since its color correction is extremely good (for a vintage lens, that is).

S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:

What do you mean by "cx", "n", and "n uld"?[/quote]

Yes, I really thought that the sx version is also from the 645 format. By the way , I still did not understand using the N and uld versions on a full - frame camera of the A7 type , what will be the viewing angle ? Will it be equal to 300mm ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:

Yes, I really thought that the sx version is also from the 645 format. By the way , I still did not understand using the N and uld versions on a full - frame camera of the A7 type , what will be the viewing angle ? Will it be equal to 300mm ?

It will be the same FOV as a dedicated full frame lens. The focal length is 300mm. Same distance on any format. On 645 the field of view is wider. Equivalent to a 186mm lens on full frame. (full frame of course references to 35mm film size sensors).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
sergun wrote:

What do you mean by "cx", "n", and "n uld"?

Yes, I really thought that the sx version is also from the 645 format. By the way , I still did not understand using the N and uld versions on a full - frame camera of the A7 type , what will be the viewing angle ? Will it be equal to 300mm ?[/quote]

I have the SX as well, it's a totally different lens (for 35mm / fullframe). Funny enough, the 645 version is lighter.
On a 645 camera the 300mm will have a wider viewing angle than on a full frame camera because of the larger image circle /big film size. On a full frame camera it's the same as any other 300mm full frame lens, because a large part of the image circle falls outside the sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a real 300mm . I realized that Mamaya would not suit me for my Sony A7R2 camera, since her viewing angle on my camera would be 186 mm. In the local market, Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-T 300mm f/ 4.5 (no adapter needed, already there) or Canon FD 300mm f/ 4 SSC (you need to take the adapter again) are available to me at the same price. Are there OM, PK, NIK adapters available, Are your tips fixed 300mm ?

p/s By the way, I had a Canon avt 300mm f5.6. I didn't like it at all. Some kind of soap.