Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

When the seller sends you the wrong lens by mistake
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: When the seller sends you the wrong lens by mistake Reply with quote

Hi All,

The other day I bought a Leitz 180mm f4.0 in R mount on eBay. Today I received a package, but as soon as the DHL guy handed the package to me I knew something was wrong: way too heavy for a 540 gram 180mm f/4.0. Turns out it is a Leitz 180mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R.

So I contacted the seller to ask him how he wishes to proceed. He answered almost immediately, apologizing profusely and asking me to return the lens. He doesn't have the f/4 anymore so I will get a full refund. I am not angry or anything, mistakes happen. This seller has a 100% rating over 14000+ feedback

Of course I won't send it back before I do my usual tests for a lens I receive Smile This is the first version of the 180mm 2.8 Elmarit-R, built in 1967 judging by the serial number. Weight: 1350 grams. With that weight I would not consider it to be a walk around lens. This one is not radioactive, reading just 0.15 µSv front and back, which for my living room is 0.1 µSv above background.

I will take some more test pictures tomorrow morning when the sun is on the other side (before I send it back), but from what I have seen so far this is optically a very good lens. Pictures to be taken using a tripod on account of the weight of the thing.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I had a quick look at an Elmarit 2.8/180mm of the second computation which is much lighter than "yours", together with the 3.4/180mm APO Telyt and my Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO G HS (which is closer to 180mm than 200mm). The gerenal impression for both Leitz lenses was quite favourable; in fact the Elmarit had surprisingly little lateral CAs (though slightly more than my Minolta). The APO Telyt seemed to have slightly less CAs than the Minolta. All three lenses - for practical purposes on 24 MP FF - were pretty compararablein performance.

In contrast to this, the Zeiss CY Sonnar 2.8/180mm (second, slim version) had visibly stronger CAs and a reduced contrast wide open, compared to the Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO G HS.

All this is based on quick side-by-side test photos in the infinity range, and NOT on carefully planned and prepared tests. That's why I never published these results.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for your integrity!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got a mint Helios 44-2 that I wasn't expecting. I ended up taking pictures of it so the seller could put it on eBay and sell it to someone else (since I already had one). I did get my little xy-surveillance lens and sent the Helios to a new buyer for the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller just came back to me, he has found the 180mm f/4.0 but is now a bit confused (his problem). Anyway, he is sending the the f/4 and he has sent me a return label for the f/2.8 which will be going out tomorrow. AFTER I take a few test pictures of the empty office building across the street, with the sun in the right position (small details, a lot of contrast sure to cause purple fringing if there is any, etc.)

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got a Nikkor Ai-s 50/2 when an Ai-s 28/2.8 was promised. Luckily the seller acknowledged and corrected the mistake.