Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Optronik lens (unknown focal length) f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Steinheil Optronik lens (unknown focal length) f/2.8 Reply with quote

I recently got a Steinheil Optronik lens. I'm somewhat familiar with Steinheil and have quite a few of their (highly underrated) lenses. But until recently I was unaware of the Steinheil Optronik company, which seems to have been formed 1988, after the company had been sold several times. It might have been part of a device called "Oscillophot", but I'm not completely sure yet. Maybe something like that: https://fk-secondhand.com/shop/steinheil-optronic-oscillophot-m4/

As far as I can tell (without disassembling it) it seems to be a Reverse-Tessar, which usually points towards a use for close-up/macro work. The image circle covers full-frame at macro distance, but not at infinity. However this might also have to do with the long metal tube it is mounted in. The screw mount on the back seems to be a T2 (42 x 0.75mm) one. I also have a Steinheil Oscillo-Quinon 75 mm, but while both lenses appear to be optimized for similar magnifications, they look quite different. I would suspect that this is significantly newer.

Steinheil Optronik by simple.joy, on Flickr

Steinheil Optronik by simple.joy, on Flickr

I've only used it for a little bit, but it's already an incredible fun lens to experiment with. I will have to find a way to get the mounting plate off at some point to use it more effectively, though.

Tea partly by simple.joy, on Flickr

Vortex by Johannes, on Flickr

If anyone knows more about it, I'd really appreciate any information!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johannes, indeed Steinheil in their later days made a lot of those recording devices using their lenses inside. I have one or two of them - somewhere. Pretty good ones, optimized for close up photography of course.

The STEINHEIL BOOK actually mentiones them; some of the last ever made products before the company closed down: Polaroid Oscillophot M3 or M4 / STEINHEIL Optronic. Here for sale for instance: Click here to see on Ebay and the whole camera is here Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hi Johannes, indeed Steinheil in their later days made a lot of those recording devices using their lenses inside. I have one or two of them - somewhere. Pretty good ones, optimized for close up photography of course.

The STEINHEIL BOOK actually mentiones them; some of the last ever made products before the company closed down: Polaroid Oscillophot M3 or M4 / STEINHEIL Optronic. Here for sale for instance: Click here to see on Ebay and the whole camera is here Click here to see on Ebay

Thank you very much for the information! I have the "Steinheil Fabrikationsbuch" by Thiele and the only f/2.8 lens mentioned on the last pages seems to be a 65 mm one (without specified lens name) - will have to make some comparisons to see if that might be it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting images, as ever!

Steinheil's story from the early 1970s until their complete demise in 1994 is one of assimilation and diversification. The wikipedia entry implies that Steinheil Optronic was not given as the company name until 1988 - however the Oscillophots were branded Steinheil Optronic much earlier.

Is there a serial?

Can you establish a ballpark focal length by comparison?

Last edited by 16:9 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Steinheil Oscillophot M4 appears to have a different lens, with a curved-6 aperture.
https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/aparat-steinheil-oscillophot-m4-polaroid

Steinheil also made an Oscillophot M20 that is reputed to have a 75mm lens.

There's also an M2 dating from c.1966 with a curved-6 aperture
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234614341150

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:9 wrote:
Interesting images, as ever!

Steinheil's story from the early 1970s until their complete demise in 1994 is one of assimilation and diversification. The wikipedia entry implies that Steinheil Optronic was not given as the company name until 1988 - however the Oscillophots were branded Steinheil Optronic much earlier.

Is there a serial?

Can you establish a ballpark focal length by comparison?

Unfortunately there's no serial no. on it. But after a quick comparison, I'm pretty sure the focal length is 50 mm or close to it.

Here are a couple more shots:

Testing before tasting... by simple.joy, on Flickr

Barely making fence meet by simple.joy, on Flickr

Small budget fleet by simple.joy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great results!