Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exaktar 78-205 f3.5 anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Exaktar 78-205 f3.5 anyone? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I could buy one of these in excellent condition for very little. Found nothing in the net except a pop photo advert. Even though I don't expect miracles, maybe somebody has some experience with it ? I suspect it's a re-badged sun or Tokina. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really an "Exaktar", or an "Exakta" lens?

I have two "Exakta" zooms, a normal one (28-70 as far as I remember) and a 4.5-5.6/75-300mm. They have a Minolta MD bayonet and were "Made in Japan" (Cosina??).

Can you post an image of the lens?

S

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pretty crappy Auto-Exaktar 35mm 1:2.8 that was made in Korea.

I can find a Carenar with that range and aperture https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_915.html#prettyPhoto Could be Tokina

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "Exaktar" on the lens. I found these pictures. The one I want to buy is in pristine condition and doesn't have the lever. It is not with me. I plan to get it in about 2 weeks as I have to travel about 400 km to go buy it. (will do other stuff there, too...)
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/exaktar-autovario-78-205mm-f3-zoom-538863693
https://cheaplens.eu/lens/super-carenar-78-205mm-f3-5-2/#&gid=1&pid=1
The seller also has the obvious 200 f3,5 and a much less common 300 f5. Both very clean with fixed exakta mount. The zoom has a T-mount. Therefore asy to adapt and interesting to me, but the others would need an Exa adapter and I don't want to waste time and money finding the proper ones.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0. Sorry. Just realised you already posted the right link. That's the one indeed.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an update in the "What's your latest..." thread.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it made in Japan or Korea?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite scouting every square mm of the lens I couldn't find anything. Checked all the in-betweens, tripod collars and under-switches. But yes it might indeed have been made in Korea. I wish I had found an unlikely "Made in Germany" Wink Maybe once I remove the mount...
BTW, I'm now the proud seller of a rare YS Exakta mount... 😂

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
...BTW, I'm now the proud seller of a rare YS Exakta mount... 😂

I used YS lenses with an Exakta long time ago, I had several mounts. Changed up to Olympus at some point. They were very good lenses. I had one of the rare 135 f2 lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil. Which 135/2 do you mean? I still have the sigma XQ 135/1.8 with the YS mount. This brings up a new question. Was the YS mount not a sigma patented mount? And now I wonder if my 78-205 is an early sigma.