Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Separation or Fungus? Nikkor 28mm f2.8 Ai-S CIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Separation or Fungus? Nikkor 28mm f2.8 Ai-S CIS Reply with quote

Hi there,

First time post but hope you can help.

I've just noticed on my Nikkor 28mm f2.8 Ai-S CIS coated lens that there is this marking on the rear element. I can't quite figure out whether it's separation or fungus. The rainbow effect leans towards separation but wonder if anyone can help decide. I guess if it's separation it will be harder to clean, if at all.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a fungus that resembles your picture. But the ai-s has 8 elements in 8 groups, so separation would be strange imo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like separation but no cementing so maybe some pollution. You can take out the rear element and see if it is cleanable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, I'd 100% say separation, but if that optical diagram is correct, then most likely it's helical grease migrated onto the inner elements.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome woobl!

Definitely some contamination. Could be fungus that has eaten into the coating giving the rainbow colors -- the lower part looks like fungus too but could be a light reflection. Could be an oil sheen giving the rainbow colors. I any case I'd try cleaning. Oil should wipe off clean. Fungus should wipe off. Fungus damage will not clean. Other contamination YMMV -- may clean; may have damaged coating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your responses. This seems to have occurred fairly recently, as I only noticed it on a recent inspection. I'll look to get the rear element off and have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us now your outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's at the rear, it could be oil that migrated from the aperture mechanism or something like that. Because the lens has floating elements, it could me more complicated to reassemble properly (at least I suppose so), so I'd try to keep it as simple as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Since it's at the rear, it could be oil that migrated from the aperture mechanism or something like that. Because the lens has floating elements, it could me more complicated to reassemble properly (at least I suppose so), so I'd try to keep it as simple as possible.

IIRC, the floating element is the first one ahead of the iris. This looks to be behind it, so shouldn't be a problem.