Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List of MF lenses on Fuji GFX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Fuji will not adopt the 54*40mm sensor. All of these test would have to be redone Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more this morning.

35mm Super-Takumar f/3.5
Some vignetting at all apertures and focus distances; worse at infinity, better close up. This one performed better than I was expecting, frankly. It's usable.

135mm Takumar f/3.5, silver and black preset version.
No significant vignetting. Very nice.

105mm Nikkor-P Auto f/2.5
Very, very slight corner shadows at infinity focus. The images look great.

85mm Nikkor-H Auto f/1.8
A little vignetting at all apertures; worse at infinity and better (almost none) at close focus. Still very usable.

135mm Nikkor-Q Auto f/2.8
No vignetting, even with the built-in lens hood extended. A nice performer with a vintage look.

180mm Nikkor ED f/2.8 AiS
No vignetting at all. A superb lens for GFX use.

300mm Nikkor ED f/4.5 AiS
A little vignetting at infinity, which is disappointing. I think it's due to the lens's internal focus. No vignetting at closer distances, however, and the images look great. Quite fun on the GFX, and makes me want to try more long telephotos.

D1N0 wrote:
Hopefully Fuji will not adopt the 54*40mm sensor. All of these test would have to be redone Wink

By somebody else. Wink

calvin83 wrote:
Just like what you said, the Elmar and Culminar should cover GFX if you remove the lens head from the focusing tube.

Yes, I'm sure some of them can be made to work in that way. I may try it with my Elmarit 90.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club-1232.html#post5618205

Quote:
Super-Multi-Coated Bellows-Takumar 1:4/100, f/6.7, 1/500, Ilford Delta 100 film/Adox FX-39 II 1+14 developer. At closeup but not yet macro distance, the Bellows-Takumar effortlessly fills the 6x6 frame of the Zenza Bronica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested a few more over the past two days...

MOG 90mm Telefogar f/3.5 Altix
Small dark shadows in the corners at infinity, no vignetting at closer focus distances. Works pretty well. Has really nice bokeh swirl.

135mm EBC Fujinon f/3.5
No vignetting at all - a winner. Images look great.

135mm Super Takumar f/3.5
Faint shadows in the corners at infinity, but otherwise very good.

Voigtländer 135mm Super-Dynarex f/4, DKL
Shadows in the corners at infinity, less at closer focus distances. Not bad, but there are better 135s for use on the GFX, and the 14 ft. minimum focus distance of this lens is , as always, a problem. The M42 Zeiss-branded version is better for adapting.

Schneider 135mm Retina-Tele-Xenar f/4, DKL
More vignetting than the Super-Dynarex, but otherwise similar.

MOG 80mm Primotar f/3.5, Exakta
Beautiful - no vignetting at all. Despite the exakta mount this is a medium-format lens, and it shows because it doesn't seem to be pushing the edges of the image circle. I'm going to try some landscapes with this in the future.

MOG 58mm Primoplan f/1.9, Exakta
I wanted to see whether there was any difference between this and my M42 version. They performed exactly the same: really good, despite some vignetting in the corners at infinity focus.

CZJ 13.5cm Triotar f/4, old slim version, Exakta
Hard vignetting at all apertures and focus distances due to the long, tubular body. If you don't mind that, or don't mind using 1:1 aspect ratio, it's still pretty good.

Steinheil 135mm Quinar f/2.8, Exakta
Vignetting at all apertures and focus distances, but a lot better wide open and closer. Beyond that I won't make any judgements because the condition of the glass in my copy is poor.

MOG 35mm Primagon f/4.5, Exakta
As expected, hard vignetting in the corners at all focus distances and apertures. Quite good other than that, so its usability depends on whether you can tolerate the dark corners.

135mm Rodenstock-Yronar f/3.5, Exakta
Vignetting in the corners at all focus distances and apertures, but much better at closer distances. There are old 135s with worse vignetting, but there are also old 135s with better. Personally I love this lens, so I'm still going to use it despite the corner shadows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The triotar is a medium format triplet so it will be the tube that's the problem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly good results this morning...

Industar-50, early silver long-body version.
Worse vignetting than the 50-2, with hard dark corners at infinity and soft shadows at close focus. Still not terrible though, and surprisingly sharp at smaller apertures.

FED Industar-61 panda
I tested one of these before, but this is my earlier, better copy - the earliest full production version. Interestingly, it's slightly different from my other panda, and also has slightly less vignetting in the corners. Petty nice.

KMZ 5cm Jupiter-8 f/2, silver 1957 Zorky version
No vignetting at all, just like my Contax/Kiev version. Really nice and fun to use on the GFX.

CZJ 135mm Sonnar f/3.5 zebra
Excellent. No vignetting at all. I'll have to see whether my silver f/4 version is as good.

Tomioka 5cm Tominon C f/2
What a nice surprise - this lens is brilliant on the GFX, with no vignetting to be seen. For anyone who doesn't know, this is exactly the same lens as the 5cm Auto Yashinon f/2.

55mm Auto Mamiya/Sekor f/1.8, black
Another wonderful general purpose performer on the GFX, with no vignetting even at infinity focus.

58mm Mamiya-Sekor f/1.7, M42 screw mount version
If you're lucky enough to own one of these lenses, you'll be happy to know it has no vignetting on the GFX. Superb.

105mm Takumar f/2.8, silver and black preset version
Apart from some very faint, very soft shadows in the corners at infinity, this lens works great on the GFX. 100s and 105s continue to impress.

D1N0 wrote:
The triotar is a medium format triplet so it will be the tube that's the problem

I didn't know that about the Triotar, but yes, it's definitely the long tube. All the glass is way up in the front. Any lens constructed like that is probably going to have have hard vignetting on the GFX (and possibly even on FF).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I didn't know that about the Triotar, but yes, it's definitely the long tube. All the glass is way up in the front. Any lens constructed like that is probably going to have have hard vignetting on the GFX (and possibly even on FF).

I've noticed no vignetting with my Triotar, but that is m42. Exakta has an even narrower inner diameter since a m42 adapter will easily fit over the mount. So that is likely the problem.

I measured the inner diameter of m42 at about 40mm and that of exakta at about 32mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More quick testing this morning...

55mm Mamiya/Sekor f/1.4, silver nose
Some vignetting at all apertures, better up close, worse at infinity.

50mm Auto Yashinon DX f/1.4, silver nose
Hard vignetting at infinity, diminishing at closer focus distances.

55mm Super-Takumar f/1.8, early non-radioactive version, the same as the Auto Takumar version, I think.
No vignetting to speak of. Quite good.

Auto Sears 28mm f/2.8, re-branded Tokina
Hard vignetting at all apertures and focus distances. Not surprising.

Tele-Vivitar 135mm f/2.8, preset, slotted aperture version, re-branded Tokina
No significant vignetting. Not bad at all.

Tele-Vivitar 200mm f/3.5, preset, slotted aperture version, re-branded Tokina
Faint shadows in the corners at infinity focus, decreasing to no vignetting at closer focus ranges. Solid.

Helios-44M-4, Valdai-produced black version
Faint shadows in the corners at infinity. The shadows don't completely disappear at close focus distances. Interesting.

50mm Cosinon Auto f/1.7
Very faint shadows in the corners at infinity. No shadows at closer focus distances. Pretty good.

50mm Cosinon Auto f/1.8
Has it ever been decided whether or not these two Cosinons are identical? Mine don't seem quite identical. The 1.8 has a little more vignetting than the 1.7. I'll have to investigate this further.

D1N0 wrote:
I've noticed no vignetting with my Triotar, but that is m42. Exakta has an even narrower inner diameter since a m42 adapter will easily fit over the mount. So that is likely the problem.

I measured the inner diameter of m42 at about 40mm and that of exakta at about 32mm.

That's interesting. I'll keep an eye out for an M42 version. I also have one of the more common fat Triotars from the 1950s. I'll have to try that one out too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out a few more...

135mm AiS Nikkor f/2.8
No significant vignetting. Pretty nice.

135mm Nikkor-Q Auto f/3.5
Maybe very faint shadows in the corners at infinity, but hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. Not bad at all.

55mm EBC Fujinon f/1.8
Seems to be the same as the earlier silver ring versions (which I expected). Very nice with no significant vignetting.

55mm Auto Takumar f/2
No vignetting at all. Excellent.

50mm Auto Rikenon f/1.7
Slight vignetting at all apertures. Not too bad, but it's there.

Helios-44, early silver KMZ version with 13 aperture blades.
No observable vignetting. Seems to be the same as the Biotar. Excellent.

Eventually I'm going to be making a best-of-the-best list of adapted 35mm lenses for the GFX, which is to say, lenses with no vignetting at all. I think that will be quicker and more useful for people interested in the bottom line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Septon if you have, pretty sure it will cover 44x33 without much vignetting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Try the Septon if you have, pretty sure it will cover 44x33 without much vignetting.

I don't have one of those, but I was wondering about it. It wouldn't surprise me if it worked. I was also wondering about the Skopagon, but I don't have one of those either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I don't have one of those, but I was wondering about it. It wouldn't surprise me if it worked. I was also wondering about the Skopagon, but I don't have one of those either.

Skopagon is the last DKL lenses i want to try. Never find one with my budget. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens that was hand built to extreme tolerances in the optical axis (5 micron is one pixel of my K-1) and has three cemented groups. So three times as much chance of separation. There probably aren't very many good ones left.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I doubt I'll ever get a Skopagon. They're just too rare and expensive.

MOG 135mm Primotar f/3.5
Vignetting at all apertures and focus distances; harder with smaller apertures toward infinity. This is about what I was expecting. The lens body is long and thin with the elements way up front.

Minolta MDIII 50 f/2
A little vignetting at all apertures and focus distances. Slightly disappointing.

Elgeet 4-inch Mini-Tel f/4.5
Vignetting at all apertures and focus distances. Not surprising at all, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

105mm AiS Nikkor f/1.8
Really good, but it reverses the pattern of most lenses. There's no vignetting at infinity focus (so landscapes are fine), but there is some darkening of the corners at closer focus distances. This seems less troublesome than vignetting at infinity. The lens looks and feels really good on the camera.

50mm Nikkor-H.C. Auto f/2
Nice. No significant vignetting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens head of MOG 135mm Primotar f/3.5 which should cover 6x6. It might comes with 42 x 0.5 mm threads from the data here https://www.flickr.com/photos/95742794@N05/48479661687 .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The lens head of MOG 135mm Primotar f/3.5 which should cover 6x6. It might comes with 42 x 0.5 mm threads from the data here https://www.flickr.com/photos/95742794@N05/48479661687 .

I can check on that. Unfortunately I have to say the Primotar 135 is the worst MOG lens I've ever used. Even at f/5.6 or f/8 it's not all that sharp, and it still has lots of chromatic aberration. In black and white it's decent, and the bokeh is pretty nice, but it's still unacceptably un-sharp. There are much, much better 135s out there, even from the same era. The Orestor 135 is far better. Too bad, because the Primotar 135 is a very nice-looking lens.

This morning I finally dug out my...

MOG 300mm Telemegor f/4.5
Of course it has lots of hard vignetting, but the images still look nice. I've always liked it, despite how horrifically heavy it is. Not something I would go out of my way to get as a GFX user though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I can check on that. Unfortunately I have to say the Primotar 135 is the worst MOG lens I've ever used. Even at f/5.6 or f/8 it's not all that sharp, and it still has lots of chromatic aberration. In black and white it's decent, and the bokeh is pretty nice, but it's still unacceptably un-sharp. There are much, much better 135s out there, even from the same era. The Orestor 135 is far better. Too bad, because the Primotar 135 is a very nice-looking lens.

This morning I finally dug out my...

MOG 300mm Telemegor f/4.5
Of course it has lots of hard vignetting, but the images still look nice. I've always liked it, despite how horrifically heavy it is. Not something I would go out of my way to get as a GFX user though.

I see. If the Orestor 135 is a chrome lens, it will be even better!

Telemegor 300mm is available in Pentacon Six mount which we know it covers 6x6.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I forgot this one until now, but...

CZJ 135mm Sonnar f/4, silver M42 version
Only very faint shadows in the corners at infinity focus, otherwise it works great. Very pleasing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40-2
Of course this has some vignetting at infinity focus, but the shadows lessen and become more indistinct at closer focus ranges. Frankly, I was impressed by the performance of this one. Easily usable for portrait and other closer range applications. Maximum swirly bokeh can be achieved if that's what you want.

Super Takumar 105mm f/2.8
I tried the old black and silver preset version, but not this one until now. Seems to work very well, with only very faint shadows in the corners at infinity focus.

Mir-1 35mm f/2.8, old silver KMZ.
Better than I expected. Some vignetting at infinity, but way less at closer focus distances. Could be used for portraiture or other normal-range uses. Very swirly bokeh.

CZ 135mm Sonnar f/4, Contax RF version
As expected, my best 135 Sonnar has considerable hard vignetting due to the body and mount construction.

--------------------

Even though I haven't gotten through my entire hoard yet, I've started re-testing and more thoroughly testing some of the lenses that had the highest marks in my first round in order to find the very best ones for different focal lengths.

55mm Auto Takumar f/2
At infinity focus, this one does get more vignetting as you open the iris. It takes the form of soft shadows in the corners that spread. However, that's really the only downside. At f/8 and infinity focus all the vignetting is gone, and what's more, the lens has comparatively little distortion, even at the edges. It's quite nice for landscapes and usable even for buildings. Bottom line: I liked the images I got from it using the GFX.

Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 K
This one does have very small, very slight shadows in the corners at infinity. Certainly not a deal breaker, but a few other lenses in the 100-105 range have none. On the other hand, the overall image quality is quite excellent.

-------

Here's my best-of-the-best no vignetting list so far:

1. Carl Zeiss 135mm Apo Sonnar f/2, ZF2 classic
This is the absolute, undisputed king of adapted lenses I've tried on the GFX. No vignetting at all, and the image quality is superb. I've seen reports that it's sharper than the popular Fujifilm 110mm f/2 GFX lens, which doesn't surprise me.

2. Nikon 180mm ED Nikkor f/2.8 AiS
No vignetting at all, and even with an adapter it feels like it was made for the camera. This lens also has my favorite ergonomics of any I've ever tried. The D series version of this lens has some vignetting due to it's internal focus construction, unfortunately.

3. Nikon 85mm Nikkor f/2 AiS
I used this for an entire afternoon at a family gathering with excellent results. It has no vignetting at all, and is very small and light with excellent image quality. If I were going to try street photography with a GFX, I'd consider this one.

4. MOG 100 Orestor f/2.8 zebra
I'm still looking for a 100-105mm lens that beats this one for no vignetting on the GFX. I haven't found one yet. It's got a very vintage feel to the images, and more CA and distortion than some, but it also has lovely bokeh and it's tiny and light weight as well.

5. CZJ 58mm Biotar f/2
Both M42 and Exakta versions of this old classic work great with no vignetting. This is another case where you can get maximum swirly bokeh if you want.

6. Jupiter-8 50mm f/2
So far this is still the 50mm no-vignetting champion for me on the GFX. It works very well, but you do get a lot of blurring and other image degradation at the edges of the frame. You'll most likely want to keep your subject in the middle, and it's not great for landscapes. Other than that, quite good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More extensive field testing...

VC 58mm Nokton f/1.4 SLII
This lens is very usable on the GFX. Yes, there's a bit of obvious vignetting in the corners on infinity and near-infinity shots. You can see dark shadows in corners of the sky in landscape shots, for instance. There is a bit of vignetting at closer focus too, but it's so soft it's virtually un-noticable. I didn't find that to be a problem, as it rarely interferes with a subject. If you apply the crop factor of the GFX sensor to the 58 Nokton, it becomes the equivalent of a 45 f/1.1 or something, and if you bought a 45mm f/1.1 lens for full-frame, you'd be foolish not to expect some vignetting.

Other than that, it works very well, and the images look nice.

Nikon 105mm AiS Nikkor f/1.8
This one is really, really nice. One of my favorites of the ones I've tried. Landscape shots are very clean. There's some very soft, very diffuse darkening in the corners of the sky of landscapes, but it's so subtle it won't even be noticed by non-camera savvy viewers, and it's not hard to rectify in post processing. There's actually a bit more vignetting with closer focusing (which is odd), but again, it's so soft and indistinct I have yet to see it interfere with a subject or the shot as a whole.

Ergonomically, the lens feels nice on the camera. I find the 105 1.8 to be a bit soft wide open, but it's nice to have the option. If you often shoot at 2.8 or 4 as I do the results are fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pitted these three against each other...

Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f/1.8 black

Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8

EBC Fujinon 55mm f/1.8

They're fairly similar, though I pick the Mamiya by a narrow margin. Each lens has it's own quirks. For example, the Fujinon seems to have a bit more barrel distortion than the other two.

Also, I went back to the...

85mm AiS Nikkor f/2

As I already knew, this one is a dream on the GFX. Absolutely great. It's in my top three for good reason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 100mm ATX-Pro f/2.8 Macro

This one has some soft but distinct shadows in the corners in landscape mode (infinity or near-infinity with the aperture stopped down), but at portrait distances it's excellent. When using it at minimum macro focus it has hard vignetting. I solved this by adding an 18mm extension tube which got me even closer to the subject and dispensed with all vignetting. Using it that way, it was very, very good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got a Pentax 67 to GFX adapter...

So far, as an experiment, I've only tried the SMC Pentax 67 200mm f/4 (the newer plastic version).

I found the results a bit surprising. It works great on the GFX, of course, but mine actually isn't all that sharp at smaller apertures. I was expecting great results at f/8 or so, and the sharpness there is adequate, but nothing special. The lens seems far more suited to portraits and that sort of thing, because the images I shot wide open look fantastic.

It's a big huge cannon on the camera, but it's really not that heavy. All in all, I deem the experiment successful.

Last edited by KEO on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
So i got a Pentax 67 to GFX adapter...

So far, as an experiment, I've only tried the SMC Pentax 67 200mm f/4 (the newer plastic version).

I found the results a bit surprising. It works great on the GFX, of course, but mine actually isn't all that sharp at smaller apertures. I was expecting great results at f/8 or so, and the sharpness there is adequate, but nothing special. The lens seems far more suited to portraits and that sort of thing, because it the images I shot wide open look fantastic.

It's a big huge cannon on the camera, but it's really not that heavy. All in all, I deem the experiment successful.

The Takumar 67 105 and 90 are superb on Pentax 67; most likely on GFX too!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The Takumar 67 105 and 90 are superb on Pentax 67; most likely on GFX too!!!

So I've heard!

I'm also looking closely at the 165 2.8. That's a nice focal length and not too expensive either.

I may try the 55mm as well.