Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yet another mount query.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Yet another mount query. Reply with quote

I got a oly macro with an unidentified mount swapped for the original. Can anybody tell me what this is? I can tell you some of the bayonet mount it isn't: Oly, PK, Konica AR, Minolta MD, EOS, C/Y, or QBM. The cap said: for SA/KPR. it almost fits the Sony A mount on my LA-EA5 but doesnt quite lock in place. I don't know if I want to keep it or send it back. The listing just had "used" It was a couple hundred off the normal BIN listings and I been lusting after this glass for some time.

url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20225/big_7980_16536089929191993646242317344104_1.jpg][/url]

Last edited by jamaeolus on Sat May 28, 2022 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's not PK?

For reference:

https://vintagelens.nl/2018/02/19/slr-lens-mount-identification-guide-richard-oleson/

https://www.keh.com/blog/the-lens-mount-guide-part-1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't fit either of my PK -EOS adapters. I decided to take off the mount flange and see what is what. The original oly housing has been shaved off to adjust flange distance or something. Anyway it's going back to the seller.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it said on the mount mate! its Sigma SA mount!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lens is it?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
it said on the mount mate! its Sigma SA mount!

I've never seen SA mount lenses without electrical contacts - they have contacts just like EOS lenses & apparently use the same comms protocols.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK SA/KPR stands for Sigma A mount / K mount Pentax Ricoh. The Sigma lens caps are marked as such as they should fit both mounts. Lens caps are a less precise fit than cameras and adapters, so my guess is that the lens is a Sigma A mount. Anyway, if the lens wasn't sold as a DIY conversion to Sigma A, I would send it back as well (or get a major discount).

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
AFAIK SA/KPR stands for Sigma A mount / K mount Pentax Ricoh. The Sigma lens caps are marked as such as they should fit both mounts. Lens caps are a less precise fit than cameras and adapters, so my guess is that the lens is a Sigma A mount. Anyway, if the lens wasn't sold as a DIY conversion to Sigma A, I would send it back as well (or get a major discount).

You are indeed correct, and I suppose the electrical connections wouldn't be relevant with a DIY conversion.
I have seen forum posts that claim PK & SA are physically the same but I think this is incorrect & based purely on the SA lens caps. My measurements show significant differences such as the bayonet tabs on SA being nearly 0.5mm thinner...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just reconvert it to Olympus. Looks like the drilled some extra holes in the mount to fit the Oly screw holes.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the 20mm f2 macro. I can't restore to original spec because the barrel has been shaved at the base under the mount. Also the interior components for the OM mount locking mechanism and such are all gone. The seller has offered a partial refund or return option. 🤔 I am torn. I'm sure I could make it work but I could never sell it for anywhere near the full value of the original. What say? Ask for a hundred dollars off?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In good original condition the going price is a bit over 500 usd. I'm not sure if that is mostly users or collectors buying these. I'd not pay much more than 200 usd for it in this condition. If you are planning to use it yourself a long time it may be worth more to you, just know it isn't a good investment.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked and received a hundred dollar refund. So 190 all in. To me a 200 investment on that caliber of macro lens is well worth it even being aware the collector value is ruined. I will probably swap in an m42 or EOS mount as I have adapters to many types of systems. Be it helical m42, or minolta tilt shift bellows or eos to LM to fit my techart

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good compromise price. I like standardising everything to M42 as well, nice to fit anything onto anything else. Just a bit cumbersome sometimes if you want to unscrew a specific m42 part without unscrewing others. There are m42-m39 and m39-leica M adapters, so m42 could fit your Techart as well. Not sure if autofocus is a big plus in the magnification range the lens is intended for, but may be fun to experiment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my m42 adaptation completed. I found an "m42 to Series 7 thread" reverse adapter. I wasn't sure what a series 7 thread was but it was cheap and looked about the right size. I figured at worst I could grind off the threads an tap through. Came in and it's diameter fit perfectly. I found an Ednalight filter holder that threaded into it. Ground the the threads off of that and matched and drilled to hit the pre-existing threaded holes in the lens. Fortuitously the previous adaptation had quite long screws. Cut a piece of plastic to hold the flocked cone in place. I also cut little squares of black plastic to fill the holes for stop down and release mechanism that the previous adaptation had removed the parts and just left open. Screwed it all together and it looks OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must have been quite a lens before it was modified.

Your sensor could use a cleaning- the same 3 divots appear in all frames.

Olympus glass is sometimes very, very good.

Like 1 small Like 1 small

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots were those taken with a hellicoid?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't notice the specs til after I took the photos. I used a NEX close with a helical m42 17-31. The chop they did only removed the Oly auto diaphragm control and the lens disconnect button, and shaved the oly mount bayonet. I tied the switch for A-M to the manual side with a small piece of copper wire. Optically its still the same excellent Oly glass. Ruined its collector value. My adaptation actually improves its flexibility since m42 adapters exist for most common mounts.A self portrait...