Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rayfact 105mm f4.5 (PF10545MF-UV) lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Rayfact 105mm f4.5 (PF10545MF-UV) lens Reply with quote

Bees on a sunflower in the garden at home. These were taken with the Rayfact 105mm f4.5 on a Canon EOS 5DSR body, at f11 and IS1000, handheld in fairly bright sunlight, with the lens at closest focus and using a 40mm lens hood. Cropped from the original images. For those that don't know this lens, it is the currently marketed version of the UV-Nikkor 105mm f4.5.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small works very well it seems!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not a bad lens Klaus, even in visible light Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMC wrote:
Yeah, not a bad lens Klaus, even in visible light Laugh 1

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Show some UV shots here also please!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple were taken with a Eos 7D which had been modified for UV imaging by Advanced Camera Services, so it has one of their proprietary UV filters fitted. Both images were white balanced using a PTFE tile. We have Daisies (here in purple) and a Buttercup (in yellow/orange).

Then we have a sunflower taken on my monochrome converted EOS 5DSR using the Rayfact with a Baader U filter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had some warm weather in the UK in the last week (yes, really it does happen occasionally) and the flowers have started coming out on the trees. These were taken today with the Rayfact mounted on my EOS 5DSR.

And then a bit more geeky, I took one of the willow flower stems, and did UV fluorescence on it - hit it with UV light and then imaged in the visible spectrum, using a 420nm long pass filter on the Rayfact and my 5DSR again. Firstly, how it looks in the visible spectrum and then as UV induced fluorescence.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another image taken with the Rayfact 105mm UV lens. This time a UV reflectance image using a 302nm light source, and my multispectral EOS 5DSR camera, and UV filter (to filter out visible and IR light). UV image has been whitebalanced to the light source using a PTFE disk. These were just some of the wildflowers from the garden.

Also, a shot of how they look in normal sunlight for comparison (not taken with the Rayfact, just with a normal camera and zoom lens).

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 All excellent! Excellent photography and lens!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gorgeous!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bucket shots are just great!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having a bit of play with the Rayfact and UV today. When I started UV imaging about 5 years ago, I ended up having to buy various bits of kit, not knowing what would work and what wouldn't. One lighting setup I got I was a UV modified Nikon R1C1 flash system. Advanced Camera Services (where I bought the UV modified camera from) replaced the flash windows with UV transparent material, but it blocked the visible. I think at the time, I assumed that I needed the flashes to be visible blocking rather than just leave them as emitting everything. However, the other lighting I had worked for the project, and this modified R1C1 has sat in a box ever since. Until yesterday.

I decided to get some shots with this using my UV modified Nikon d810 and the Rayfact 105mm UV lens. Subject - wild flowers in the garden. Lighting - mixed, daylight, but mixture of sunshine and shade. ISO2500, f11 to f22, whitebalanced in Darktable and reduced in size for sharing here.

The images;

I can't remember what the material was that they used on the flashes, but it wasn't their UV filter for the camera. I guess it is UG11 or the ZWB equivalent. Using the flash gave about 3 stops more light than just sunlight as they are relatively weak flashes. Unfortunately the ISO is still too high for my liking, but it makes for a usable handheld UV setup for out in the field. It does look a bit outlandish though;

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Excellent Jonathan!

I will ask you about that flash setup...

Cheers...