Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 43-86mm f3.5 pre-a/i first frames
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Nikkor 43-86mm f3.5 pre-a/i first frames Reply with quote

ISO 64 and f5.6. At 46mm.
On D-810 after home a/i conversion by yours truly.
This frame through the car windshield which is far less than clean.
There was also a fair amount of dust blowing around, just to add to the photographic confusion.

Crop of image above.

Another crop of image above.
A bit glowy for f5.6, but no where near as bad as it's made out to be.

I'm fairly certain this is the original design intent for this lens.
ISO 64 and f8. 86mm.

Pin-cushion distortion at very nearly minimum focus distance and 86mm.
At f8 and ISO 64

A hint of glow again here on this crop.

It will flare with the sun out of the frame.
A hood is going to be an absolute must for this lens.
ISO 64 and f8.

Despite it's warts and foibles, negative internet reviews, and bad press- I like this lens.
Far from technically perfect, I will admit.
It does have a certain amount of character, and slightly odd-ball rendering.
A fun lens that makes interesting images under the right conditions.
I am inclined to believe that it was primarily designed for capturing the human form- which it does with interesting effect.
I also believe there are a lot out there that have panned this lens, without even trying it...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice early zoom lens I would like to own someday. I am interested to see how it performs at f3.5.

As I'm sure some will be aware, there is a detailed Nikon tale on the history / design of the lens https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0004/index.htm

It seemed like quite a struggle to make at the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lens with poor contrast that rapidly loses what contrast it has if you point it in the wrong direction - you have to constantly be conscious of where the sun is. There's not much excuse for how bad it was as other zooms of the same vintage were a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It's a lens with poor contrast that rapidly loses what contrast it has if you point it in the wrong direction - you have to constantly be conscious of where the sun is. There's not much excuse for how bad it was as other zooms of the same vintage were a lot better.

I'd be interested in it's contemporaries- if there are any.
Apart from the Zoomar for the Bessamatic (which was even worse) there isn't much.
Keppler's review of this lens is available on-line, with some images that he made with it.
Worthwhile reading.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
A nice early zoom lens I would like to own someday. I am interested to see how it performs at f3.5.
It seemed like quite a struggle to make at the time.

I haven't used it much wide open yet.
I did one frame indoors under artificial light with it at f3.5, and it appears almost usable.
I'll get it up here later on.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another good example of a good if not perfect lens which can be fun and useful.

I have had and use both optical design versions of this lens going back to the film only era. The pre AI versions include the original and a later 11 element design used for the AI version. The later is an improvement optically but is heavier.

Enjoy this lens. For more technical information see

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'd be interested in it's contemporaries- if there are any.
Apart from the Zoomar for the Bessamatic (which was even worse) there isn't much.
Keppler's review of this lens is available on-line, with some images that he made with it.
Worthwhile reading.

-D.S.

There's a Sun, I forget the specs now, 39-80 I think, a very characterful lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that heavy character sun , and wasn't sad at all getting rid of it . Macro function might have been interesting, good.mechanical inside that lens very heavy and fast aperture was attractive, but nothing else

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, this lens was popular among B&W press photographers. Among non-press photographers reviews are mixed. Which is to say the lens has held interest for me, but even given low price I have yet to try...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of pics of the lens.
I took this old chrome-nose out this morning for a few minutes and shot a couple at f3.5.
Will have some up here soon.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 43mm wide open.

Crop of image above shows a bit of glow again.

A goldfinch landed in this Black Ash tree above my head.
86mm wide open.

Heavy magenta fringing wide open.

Wide open at about 60mm focal length.

I still like this, despite it's considerable shortcomings.
In some situations, it's very interesting in rendering.
Build quality is excellent on this.
I've had some of it apart to do the a/i conversion, and there's quite a bit of pre-electronic calculator genius on the inside of this one.
The constant aperture cam in it is very interesting.
It could do without the extremely over applied rubbery, stretchy epoxy on the screws.

-D.S.