Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend a 400mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Lumix 45-200mm lens for my Olympus but I've decided I do not like AF lenses and the focus ring is a bit too sensitive.

Could you recommend a 400mm, ideally in M42, which gives a good sharpness and contrast at 400mm? A prime is good as is a zoom.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very much easier to find a 300mm lens that had good performance. Or you could try a 500mm mirror lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 400's are generally of the older, long design. Of the few I've had the best has been a Vivitar ( SUN ) 400 / 5.6, closely matched by my Soligor ( Kino - Kiron ) 400 6.3. Both lenses are about 12 iches long and need a tripod, they do have a mount though. It would be wrong to compare them to modern lenses, but they are better than could be expected. In the past I've had a Chinon and a Photax, the Chinon was actually a good lens and I wish I still had it, the Photax was poor.
I rarely use my 400's, if I want a long lens I use a 500 / 8 mirror lens - usually my favourite Tamron 55BB or my Russian LZOS MC 3M-5CA. Both of these are excellent, and so much easier to use being more compact; but they are slower and have the distictive donut bokeh.

I like the big M42 telephoto's, but they do need some practice, a good tripod, and an acceptance that they are a lens of their time.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It would be very much easier to find a 300mm lens that had good performance. Or you could try a 500mm mirror lens.

I agree, there are far more good 300's than 400's.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

Doetuck wrote:
I recently purchased a Lumix 45-200mm lens for my Olympus but I've decided I do not like AF lenses and the focus ring is a bit too sensitive.

Could you recommend a 400mm, ideally in M42, which gives a good sharpness and contrast at 400mm? A prime is good as is a zoom.

Before I start talking - could you give us some more information? Which camera are you using? micro-4/3 with 20 MP? What will you use a "new" 400mm lens for?

If your sensor is in fact a 20 MP micro 4/3, then there's simply no vintage M42 400mm lens that will be good enough - period. Even the best 400mm lens from around 1985, the Canon new FD 2.8/400mm L, would struggle with the pixel density (which corresponds to an 80 MP full frame sensor!!).

That said, a tele lens corresponding to 800mm on a FF sensor is awfully long. The only tasks I'm aware of are small birds and golf players ... and some other rare paparazzi stuff, maybe. I occasionally shoot wild animals in the Swiss alps, and 200mm or 300mm (on fullframe, corresponding to 100mm and 150mm on micro-3/4) are my preferred focal lengths ...

S

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

Doetuck wrote:

Could you recommend a 400mm, ideally in M42,

Two classic MF lenses spring to mind with such a request as this. Both are shown below with ads that include the Modern tests. If you buy the Sharpshooter, I recommend the Pluracoat version.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

Doetuck wrote:

Could you recommend a 400mm, ideally in M42,

Pursuant to my post above, and remaining with classic MF lenses:

If the length of the Sharpshooter and Girl Watcher lenses gives you hesitation, Tamron had the answer with their 400mm Nestar lens which it is possible to split in half. Luisalegria, on this forum back in 2008, offered participants here an excellent Nestar writeup, complete with splendid photos:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=12332

Couple of things about the Nestar:

While it is possible to split the lens, this must be done carefully and patiently. Never should anything be forced, lest the mating threads become cross threaded.

Also, compared with the Sharpshooter and Girl Watcher lenses, Nestar prices are generally higher and availability is poorer. Nestar lenses were easier to acquire back in 2008 than is the case now.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A curveball, but given the recommendations for quite old and long 400mm lenses, why not...

I've been using a ST-80 400mm f5.0 achromat telescope for doing bird pics on A6000. Much heavier than a Nestar or Spiratone and no easily adjustable aperture, but great IQ wide open and they cost like £70 used on eBay (with all the bits) compared to much more of something like a Tokina SD 400mm f5.6.

These have been produced for ages under different brands, M42 / T mount on the back of mine.

I did not see lateral CA or spherical aberration wide open, which is impressive for an f5.0 achro. But I'm using it at prime focus, whereas most use it magnified with an eyepiece for astronomy.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Panagor 400mm 1:5.6 that's pretty decent. Also available as Vivitar made by Komine. It may also be available as Elicar and Admiral since those are also brands the JACA corporation (holder of the Panagor brand) used.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stevemark has offered something of a definitive response. However there is plenty of fun to be had using the versatility of M43 adaptability (basically there are cheap adapters for just about everything) and of the EVF with magnification available to zero in on focus, to try out some vintage lenses, while bearing in mind the limitations stevemark points out. The idea then is getting a lot of reach and decent results for not a lot of $$.
For 400mm I was going to point you at the nestar but guardian beat me to it. It's the best of the old (1960's) 400mm t-mount options IMO, but relatively slow at f6.9. The panagor is a good one too, not the same as the komine vivitar actually in spite of its similarity, it's optically and structurally different. You could easily pick up a tokina made (soligor/vivitar/tokina RMC) 400mm f6.3 cheaply especially in one of the unpopular mounts like MD, that's also worthwhile. The later tokina f5.6's are faster and have closer focus but my sense of them is that they are not particularly sharper. Personally I don't recommend the "girlwatcher" anybrand 400 f6.3's - quality variable, inferior construction, often suffer from haze... but if one's there for next to nothing well by all means check it out.
see reviews here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showcat.php?mcats=&si=400mm&what=title&name=&when=&whenterm=&dist=&radius=

However I would tend to agree with the notion that shorter focal lengths are more conducive on M43. SO the best of 300mm are : Nikon ED 300mm f4.5, minolta 300mm f4.5 IIRC (over to you stevemark), Tair 300mm 4.5 is also good but a heavy clunkier thing that often has stiff focus. Much more pricy: tamron adaptall 300mm f2.8.
Maybe there are some fast 200mm suggestions...

I still have my lumix G1, still working although the paint is getting sticky like the old sigma zen, and the batteries are a bit lame. These pics were taken with a tokina rmc 400mm f6.3, CFD mount in 2014.
Click for full size.

crop - 1:1

crop, rezize

Last edited by marcusBMG on Sun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
A curveball, but given the recommendations for quite old and long 400mm lenses, why not...

I've been using a ST-80 400mm f5.0 achromat telescope for doing bird pics on A6000. Much heavier than a Nestar or Spiratone and no easily adjustable aperture, but great IQ wide open and they cost like £70 used on eBay (with all the bits) compared to much more of something like a Tokina SD 400mm f5.6.

These have been produced for ages under different brands, M42 / T mount on the back of mine.

I did not see lateral CA or spherical aberration wide open, which is impressive for an f5.0 achro. But I'm using it at prime focus, whereas most use it magnified with an eyepiece for astronomy.

Like 1

An achromat telescope will be fine although I don't think it will have good sharpness and contrast on a 20MP M4/3.

A more portable solution will be getting a 24MP APS-C camera(with IBIS) using a good 500mm 一irror like the Tamron 55B and etc..

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
@stevemark has offered something of a definitive response.

No, he just gave his opinion, although he does like to try to present his opinions as facts.

marcusBMG wrote:
However there is plenty of fun to be had using the versatility of M43 adaptability

Exactly. I've got a 300mm Zeiss projector lens that even at f2.8 (it has no aperture) is critically sharp on my 24mp FF camera. It cost me a fiver and is probably apochromatic or damn close to it.

If you can live with the slow speed, an old process lens mounted on a tube will outresolve just about any digital sensor, I have a few of them, from Ross, Wray, Schneider, Wollensak etc. They are only f9-f11, but with a good triped, IBIS and turning the ISO up a bit, they work very well indeed and are perfectly apochromatic.

There are options, especially if you think outside the box.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 400 4.5 SSC Reply with quote

I went through the same search, albeit for full frame. Have a look at the Canon FD 400 4.5 SSC, it is splendid, truly a hidden gem with very high sharpness and joyous manual handling. It is fairly CA-prone at wide apertures, but fine at its optimal f/8-11.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

Like 1

An achromat telescope will be fine although I don't think it will have good sharpness and contrast on a 20MP M4/3.

A more portable solution will be getting a 24MP APS-C camera(with IBIS) using a good 500mm 一irror like the Tamron 55B and etc..

I think f/5 is a suitable aperture for M4/3, and it should have atleast 100% even corner-to-corner performance with less sensor to cover. You are getting closer (but not too much closer Wink ) to the narrow FOV used for eyepieces...

I shall probably give the lens a go on my M4/3 camera. The contrast on mine is totally fine, and if you need a sharpness bump you can stop it down by making an appropriately sized cap.

They supply a lens cap that makes it f/10. I would probably make one that takes it to f6.3.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:
@stevemark has offered something of a definitive response.

No, he just gave his opinion, although he does like to try to present his opinions as facts.

marcusBMG wrote:
However there is plenty of fun to be had using the versatility of M43 adaptability

Exactly. I've got a 300mm Zeiss projector lens that even at f2.8 (it has no aperture) is critically sharp on my 24mp FF camera. It cost me a fiver and is probably apochromatic or damn close to it.

If you can live with the slow speed, an old process lens mounted on a tube will outresolve just about any digital sensor, I have a few of them, from Ross, Wray, Schneider, Wollensak etc. They are only f9-f11, but with a good triped, IBIS and turning the ISO up a bit, they work very well indeed and are perfectly apochromatic.

There are options, especially if you think outside the box.

Not to derail but I am curious as to what this old Zeiss lens looks like.

I am also curious as to just how good those process lenses are on dense smaller sensors, compared to a typical 400mm (say, the Spiratone/Nestar). If it's really good then I might consider it. But a tall bar to clear...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Doetuck wrote:

Before I start talking - could you give us some more information? Which camera are you using? micro-4/3 with 20 MP? What will you use a "new" 400mm lens for?

If your sensor is in fact a 20 MP micro 4/3, then there's simply no vintage M42 400mm lens that will be good enough - period. Even the best 400mm lens from around 1985, the Canon new FD 2.8/400mm L, would struggle with the pixel density (which corresponds to an 80 MP full frame sensor!!).

That said, a tele lens corresponding to 800mm on a FF sensor is awfully long. The only tasks I'm aware of are small birds and golf players ... and some other rare paparazzi stuff, maybe. I occasionally shoot wild animals in the Swiss alps, and 200mm or 300mm (on fullframe, corresponding to 100mm and 150mm on micro-3/4) are my preferred focal lengths ...

S

I wouldn't be that negative. Although not exactly M42 but Visoflex hence easily adaptable to almost every camera, my ancient Leitz Telyt 400mm/F5 performs more than good enough on my MFT Panasonic Lumix GX80 as can be seen on my test pictures here:

There are no visible CA's which is rather remarkable. However, particularly on the second picture, hot air turbulences prevent straight lines; one of the biggest problems when shooting with that long lenses at long distances.

Specifications of the lens can be seen here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/F_%3D_40_cm_1:5_Telyt_II

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Doetuck wrote:

S

I wouldn't be that negative. Although not exactly M42 but Visoflex hence easily adaptable to almost every camera, my ancient Leitz Telyt 400mm/F5 performs more than good enough on my MFT Panasonic Lumix GX80 as can be seen on my test pictures here:

There are no visible CA's which is rather remarkable. However, particularly on the second picture, hot air turbulences prevent straight lines; one of the biggest problems when shooting with that long lenses at long distances.

I assume these are not 100% crops, but re-sized images?

S

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

Yep, resized to 2048px on the long side.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the tangent: How do you adapt visoflex to M4/3? Also, I seem to remember there are/were several versions of visoflex not all of which are compatible?

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Sorry for the tangent: How do you adapt visoflex to M4/3? Also, I seem to remember there are/were several versions of visoflex not all of which are compatible?

Regards, Christine

As there is presently no direct MFT adapter available, 2 adapters would be necessary, e.g. Visoflex to Nikon and Nikon to MFT or Visoflex to Leica-M and Leica-m to MFT or via Canon...
I have chosen the Nikon variant since Nikon is easily adaptable to all of my digital system cameras with different mounts.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
stevemark wrote:

If your sensor is in fact a 20 MP micro 4/3, then there's simply no vintage M42 400mm lens that will be good enough - period.
S

I wouldn't be that negative. ... my ancient Leitz Telyt 400mm/F5 performs more than good enough on my MFT Panasonic Lumix GX80 as can be seen on my test pictures here:
There are no visible CA's which is rather remarkable.

tb_a wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Yep, resized to 2048px on the long side.

Well ... 2000x1500 pixels result in a whopping three megapixels for the entire image. I'm not surprised you can't really see CAs then. I'm quite surprised however that you consider these images as proof for the usability of vintage 400mm lenses on modern micro-4/3 sensors ... which usually have 16 MP or even 20 MP. Would be interesting to see the full resolution ...!

S

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Well ... 2000x1500 pixels result in a whopping three megapixels for the entire image. I'm not surprised you can't really see CAs then. I'm quite surprised however that you consider these images as proof for the usability of vintage 400mm lenses on modern micro-4/3 sensors ... which usually have 16 MP or even 20 MP. Would be interesting to see the full resolution ...!

S

I stated that I consider the quality as good enough FOR ME and quite remarkable for a 60 years old lens. Fair enough if your standard is higher. BTW, for high standard quality, I prefer to use my A7R II camera anyway.
Furthermore, I would hate the idea to take the Telyt 400/5 plus sturdy tripod on a hiking excursion in the mountains. Wink

Here is a full resolution center crop of the above quoted picture. The distance to the tree is apprx. 50 m. Camera Lumix GX80, ISO 200, RAW converted in Lightroom 6.14.
BTW, due to the very large image circle of Telyt lenses there is no difference between center and outer corners on MFT format.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I stated that I consider the quality as good enough FOR ME and quite remarkable for a 60 years old lens.

Looking at the 100% crop you just published I'd say you're right Wink

tb_a wrote:
Furthermore, I would hate the idea to take the Telyt 400/5 plus sturdy tripod on a hiking excursion in the mountains. Wink

Yeah, I know ... back in the early 1990s I bought a Novoflex Noflexar T 5.6/400 plus an 8/600mm head, and occasionally I took it to our local pre-alps. Usually the air was too hazy for clear shots, especially since you couldn't just increase the contrast of your Kodachrome 64 back then as we can do in photoshop! That's why I sold the stuff pretty soon.

tb_a wrote:
Here is a full resolution center crop of the above quoted picture. The distance to the tree is apprx. 50 m. Camera Lumix GX80, ISO 200, RAW converted in Lightroom 6.14.

OK, that gives you plenty of room to correct lens errors such as loCAs and low contrast Wink

S

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a 400mm lens Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

That said, a tele lens corresponding to 800mm on a FF sensor is awfully long. The only tasks I'm aware of are small birds and golf players ... and some other rare paparazzi stuff, maybe. S

I use 400mm on m4/3 for dragonflies.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar question back around 2017, asking about 400mm. I decided to try a mirror and that worked for me. It's not for everyone but the people who like them get hooked (me). Generally, they're much shorter and lighter but sometimes wider when faster than f/8. I did get a Sigma 5.6/400 mirror and liked it very much. I later found a Vectis 8/400 that I like more but the Sigma is pretty good if you get a good copy without deterioration of the mirror surface.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that 'pretty good', I'd call it soft and not very good at all, the lens clearly doesn't have sufficient resolution to match the sensor, hence the fine detail of the feathers is absent and it's just a mush when you look at a proper 100% crop.

Might be good enough for some, but it's certainly not a lens that is capable of resolving pixel level detail.