Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 135 weird mount / focal distance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 135 weird mount / focal distance Reply with quote

This Jupiter has m42 mount but it act as a 'close focus' lens.

but it looks to me that this lens is m39 (RF focal distance),

and someone machined very precise m42 ring on it (instead of m39).

Or is it something else .. i have no idea and cant figure out ...

Hope this img is close enough ..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my Jupiter 11 but the mount is attached with 4 screws in the ribbed side and no black pipe extending from it. SLR Jupiters usually have a fat focussing ring. This one seems to be narrow. So likely it is a rangefinder version.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a rangefinder coupling poking out of the end but looks like its a little too far out. . The M42 versions were fatter earning the nick name 'grenade'.

could be an oddball one off - like my Lumax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, i have that grenade m42 too so this one must be from/for a RF,

but the rest is just weird - or is some odd-ball like suggested

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well even more confusion - at least for me.

i had this 1 grenade today on my camera and its m39 (zenit 3m) and not m42,

then I checked on my other jupiters and other grenades are slightly bigger / fatter but m42.

so m39 grenades are for zenit 3m i suppose,

those slinky ones are for zorki rf,

and m42 grenades (talking about serials '6Cool are for ...? later zenit as is a real m42 ?

Русская путаница ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m39 grenades won't reach infinity adapted to m42. Shorter flange focal distance. You need an m39 adapter plus extension ring for those. (edit 16.4mm I always forget. An LTM adapter plus 16.4mm extension ring equals m42 flange focal distance 45.46mm).

Last edited by D1N0 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the entire lens would help-

The back looks like an RF cam, meaning this was originally a 39mm lens for the Fed/Zorki.

Someone could have easily made it into a close-up lens for an M42 camera by using a 39 to 42 step up, these used to come with M39 SLR lenses to use them on M42 mount SLRs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four version of silver SLR Jupiter-11. I don't really understand which one you call "grenade".

Your one (on first message) looks to be modified yes, originaly LTM.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
There are four version of silver SLR Jupiter-11. I don't really understand which one you call "grenade".

Your one (on first message) looks to be modified yes, originaly LTM.

The fat ones for slr. There is also a skinny 11a for slr, but that is black
Jupiter launch by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as requested, here is a comparison pic between 2 m39 RF mounts (slinky body lens thus not ' grenades'),

on the left just normal m39 mount,

on the right is m42 what looks to me as reworked m39 mount with an addon ring ('adapter') and became m42.

I wonder - could this came from the factory for some spec purpose (Russians made a lot of those lenses..),
or its someone DIY macro-ring-to-never-be-able-to-remove-down

[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens barrel is probably equally wide. Someone put on the wrong mount or thought he could use it on a m42 Zenit with M42 or maybe an experiment with an m42 Rangefinder but LTM flange focal distance?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The lens barrel is probably equally wide. Someone put on the wrong mount or thought he could use it on a m42 Zenit with M42 or maybe an experiment with an m42 Rangefinder but LTM flange focal distance?

well if it was a DIY project then is perfectly done - mechanically / aesthetically wise.

Cant imagine that work over using macro extensions rings instead.

However what you point, maybe there was a RF model ever with m42 that im not aware of ..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

well if it was a DIY project then is perfectly done - mechanically / aesthetically wise.

Cant imagine that work over using macro extensions rings instead.

However what you point, maybe there was a RF model ever with m42 that im not aware of ..

I have also never seen such RF with M42, so probably DIY.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a later m42 mounts All Jupiter 11's I see on ebay have mounts like the m39 in the picture. ribbed entirely. Not just half way like on your Jupiter. My Jupiter 11 also has a divided ribbed/smooth mount and it is attached with 4 screws from the side. I haven't seen that in any that are for sale on eBay. Mine's from 71. The successor 11a mount is also attached with screws.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
It must be a later m42 mounts All Jupiter 11's I see on ebay have mounts like the m39 in the picture. ribbed entirely. Not just half way like on your Jupiter. My Jupiter 11 also has a divided ribbed/smooth mount and it is attached with 4 screws from the side. I haven't seen that in any that are for sale on eBay. Mine's from 71. The successor 11a mount is also attached with screws.

my thoughts too, thanx for the reply

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 135 weird mount / focal distance Reply with quote

A lens made by KOMZ 1970?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 135 weird mount / focal distance Reply with quote

Moustafine wrote:
A lens made by KOMZ 1970?

.. sharp eye ...

it is a Komz No71****