Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did Astro Berlin make microscope objectives?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Did Astro Berlin make microscope objectives? Reply with quote

I need a bit of help identifying a mystery microscope objective please. The person I got it from knew nothing about (it was from ebay from a vendor who dealt in general second hand stuff, but wasn't a microscope dealer).

Its mount seems to be the same diameter as RMS but is a finer pitched thread. I could get it about 1 turn onto my Olympus BHB and that was all. It has a second set of threads which are larger diameter and coarser. It is marked as 'Astro 232XVIIIa' but it could be 'Astro 232 X VIII a' based on the spacings of the characters. There is also a faint number '51' in the space between the two sets of threads. This got me wondering, could it be an Astro Berlin microscope objective. I have never heard of them making one, but I'm sure they made stuff which hasn't made it on to the internet.

The 'Astro' is written in a very similar way to the 'Astro' on the 60mm F2 Gauss-Tachar on the Exaklaus website - http://www.exaklaus.de/astro.htm

Crop of the writing of the 60mm Gauss Tachar.

Crop of the writing on mine.

I couldn't find anything similar online, and any advice is welcome on who may have made it and when (or if it is indeed an Astro Berlin one). Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an update on this. I'd given up hope of finding anything out about this lens, but after a search yesterday I found some similar ones which sold on ebay earlier this year. The seller was 'exaklaus', and the lenses described as being 'Astro Berlin micro lenses for optical scanners, from around 1989-90'. It seems it isn't a microscope lens, is much more recent than I originally assumed, and that it is an Astro Berlin lens. I've reached out to Klaus to see if he has any more information about the original use.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus is a member here -- send him a PM!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMC wrote:
A bit of an update on this. I'd given up hope of finding anything out about this lens, but after a search yesterday I found some similar ones which sold on ebay earlier this year. The seller was 'exaklaus', and the lenses described as being 'Astro Berlin micro lenses for optical scanners, from around 1989-90'. It seems it isn't a microscope lens, is much more recent than I originally assumed, and that it is an Astro Berlin lens. I've reached out to Klaus to see if he has any more information about the original use.

Unfortunately I have no info on this lens. Klaus Rademacher ("Exaklaus") is an avid collector also on ASTRO lenses, so if HE doesn't know more.... Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they are intended for 2x? That is a tough magnification. How does it perform?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Klaus, I've spoke with Klaus R. Unfortunately he doesn't have any more info, other than they were likely scanner lenses.

Ray - it's not too good, at least in my initial test. I used it like a normal microscope objective (finite tube), and got quite a soft image. I suspect it was meant to be used with other optics, which I do not have. It is more of an unusual curio than anything at the moment.