Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL 2,5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FL 135 2,5 at its intended use: portrait.

[img]La mouette | The gull by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FL 2,5/135 Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:
Just bought this lens ... I was interested since it seems to be a sonar design ...

Donno if that's a Sonnar ... I'd rather say it's a Double Gauss, though a pretty asymmetrical one (just like the Biotar 1.5/7.5cm which obviously is a Planar = Double Gauss).
(...)
However I'm not an optical engineer, and maybe the actual design philosophy of the FL is closer to a Sonnar than a Biotar/Planar ??

S

Of course you're correct. It's not a Sonnar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

I had the Super-Canomatic 135/2.5 which is optically identical (and mechanically, almost identical).

It had that creamy bokeh, really excellent bokeh, however it was very heavy, even heavier than the FD 135/2.5 which is also an anvil.

The contrast, however, was low wide open and it needed stopping down so contrast goes to normal levels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flavio81 wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I had the Super-Canomatic 135/2.5 which is optically identical (and mechanically, almost identical).

It had that creamy bokeh, really excellent bokeh, however it was very heavy, even heavier than the FD 135/2.5 which is also an anvil.

The contrast, however, was low wide open and it needed stopping down so contrast goes to normal levels.

I agree, this lens is a beast and you might have to play a bit with contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

[img]La mouette | The gull by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Nailed the focus there! Like 1 small

Were you eating something, such as a bag of McDonald's fries? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me. But there was a bunch of restaurants right behind me. Might have helped...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first FL lens was the 35mm f/2.5, which was also my first 35mm lens, and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this lens. Most of the time when I use it, I'm shooting at f/8 or f/11, so I've always felt its sharpness was first rate.

Because of this experience, I've often wondered about the FL 135mm f/2.5, but I've never owned one. I've owned others, and still own a few. The 35mm for one, also the 55mm f/1.2, which seems to me to have identical performance to the FD 55mm f/1.2 chrome nose. The coating is probably not as good though. And I also own a bazooka of a zoom -- the 85-300mm f/5. My 85-300 came with a case that flared out at the top, which I wondered about until one day i just dropped the lens in its case with an FTb attached. And guess what? The camera fit the case perfectly. So that's why the case had the flare!

One FL lens I sold and wish to hell I hadn't is the FL 19mm f/3.5. The retrofocus model, not the one that required mirror lock up and a finder. I can't believe how much these lenses are selling for nowadays.

A question I have about the FL 135mm f/2.5 is how similar it is to the FD breechlock 135mm f/2.5. The construction is different, according to the Canon Camera Museum -- 6 elements in 4 groups for the FL and 6 elements in 5 groups for the FD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FL 2,5/135 Reply with quote

[quote="lumens pixel"]
[img][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nggmAz][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52024928077_4e15e71fef_o.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nggmAz]Tulipe | Parc de Saint-Cloud[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/lumens_pixel/]lumens pixel[/url], sur Flickr[/img][/quote]
Very lovely!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens for portrait and landscape use.

[img]L'aiguille d'Etretat | Etretat's needle by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

[img]Portrait à Etretat par grand vent | Windy portrait at Etretat by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]