Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fabbing exakta nex adapter for schacht macro helicoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Fabbing exakta nex adapter for schacht macro helicoid Reply with quote

I know you can use the standard nex exakta adapter but I was looking for the ability to focus further out with some of my enlarger lenses. The Schacht macro helicoids are far superior to the Chinese ones as far as precision and smooth operation but I wanted to get more mid range from some of my shorter lenses. So using a chromed brass m42 close adapter an a chromed brass exakta EF adapter I fabricated an adapter. I ground off the EF portion down to a shoulder the designer had used. The exterior of the exacta portion of the adapter was just a smidgen too small for a perfect fit. I fashioned a copper bushing which after some grinding fit so tightly I had to tap in place with a plastic hammer. Then soldered it all together. I will add some images in a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top and bottom of the Exakta- EF adapter Notice the channel between the two parts of the adapter which has the locking mechanism which is removed.The outer wall is ground completel down to the bench between them. This provides a solid even support for the solder which insures that the lens is not akilter. [/url]

the third photo shows the Nex -m42 brass adapter. It comes pre drilled with holes for adaptation uses.

the next photo shows the reverse side of the nex-m42 adapter which has been ground down past the chrome to provide a good solder tin surface.

the next photo is the back of the exakta EF adapter with the outer ring ground down.

this shows the 2 adapters nested, though I do not have the bushint as this was an early dry fitting attempt to see how much space needed filled.

soldered adapter attached to helicoid.

Below is the cutout I usedd for the locking system.

This shows the locking system. This no more than a brass chunk ground to fit with a 4-32 philips screw tapped to srew into the groove on the side of the helicoid. It was then jus soldered in place.
$ dollars for the Nex-m42 and 8 I beleive for the EF exakta adapter. About 4 hourss in planning and grinding and fitting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of job is out of my league. But it looks and sounds impressive.
Congrats on your success, jamaeolus!

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

That's the spirit. If it doesn't exist, you make it yourself!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!