Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 'K' 200mm f/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Pentax 'K' 200mm f/2.5 Reply with quote

I have been looking for one of these for a sane price for a while. I was lucky to find one in Canada a short while back.

SMC Pentax 'K' 200mm f/2.5 lens on a Pentax K2DMD par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

I decided to use it for my "Single in..." lens for February. It has been a bit of a challenge as a 200mm lens on ASPC is quite a long focal length for daily use. I have, however, been trying...

Gandhi, Tavistock Square par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Green man in black and white par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Bicycles par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Daffodils redux par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Five par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Thunder-eggs Are Go...! par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Blue tit par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Look left par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good to me - and it seems very compact for its specification. It's a lens I've never even handled !

Did you get whacked for VAT and 'handling charges'?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
They look pretty good to me - and it seems very compact for its specification. It's a lens I've never even handled !

It is quite heavy at 950g but surprisingly sharp wide open for a 35 year old lens. I'm learning to love it, and I could beat off muggers with it if need be!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K 200/2.5 is a ~very~ sweet lens.

And, interestingly, the K 200/2.5 shares the same 6-elements-in-6-groups design with three other highly regarded Pentax telephoto lenses -

SMC "K" 200/2.5 -

SMC "K" 135/2.5 -

S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 (model 2) -

SMC A* 200/2.8 -

Of course, the newer A* 200/2.8 does use ED glass for a couple of elements, but the similarities are, I think, quite interesting (and not coincidental).

However, I am just a bit dubious that the K 200/"2.5" is truly an f/2.5 lens -- I think it might actually be a nominal f/2.8 lens:

For one thing, it is physically ~very~ similar to the A* 200/2.8 (both with 77mm filter threads, and with seemingly identical front element diameters).

For another, I found (many moons ago, when I had both concurrently for a while) that wide-open K 200/2.5 exposures did not seem different from wide-open A* 200/2.8 exposures (except for a wee bit of a color difference -- ~IIRC~, the K might have been slightly warmer).

And for a third, the arithmetic: 200mm FL / 77mm (filter thread, which is certainly somewhat generously wider than the clear aperture diameter) = a too "optimistic" f/2.6.

Or, another way around: 200mm / 2.5 = 80mm (somewhat wider than even the filter threads).

But, maybe my math, or my lens knowledge, is shaky...

Last edited by fwcetus on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
And, interestingly, the K 200/2.5 shares the same 6-elements-in-6-groups design with three other highly regarded Pentax telephoto lenses -

SMC "K" 200/2.5 -

SMC "K" 135/2.5 -

S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 (model 2) -

SMC A* 200/2.8 -

It seems to be another interesting case of lens scaling. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 'K' 135/2.5 and one of the S-M-C Tak ones but I don't remember the version number. I don't have the A series lens.

The 2.8 or 2.5 discussion has come up elsewhere and my gut feeling is that it probably is 2.8. Pentax wouldn't be the first company to exaggerate the speed of a lens!

Here is today's image.

SAR 22D par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an image of the lens itself, mounted to a Pentax MX SLR with Motor Drive:

Apparently, both the camera as well as the lens have seen a fair amount of (professional) use. The camera had been used at a local police station (together with a 2.8/28mm Pentax M lens). The 2.5/200mm came from a different seller - and because it looked quite beaten nobody was really bidding. Camera, motor drive and Pentax 2.5/200mm did cost me < CHF (USD) 100.--. The optics are fine - no scratches, no fungus or haze -, and I really should use it at least sometimes for some potrraits Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That K2-DMD is quite a camera.

I had one short term while the shutter resistor was being replaced in my EL-2.
It seemed to work reasonably well with the lone 50mm I had with it...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

It seems to be another interesting case of lens scaling. Smile

Yes... If you look for example at the Pentax 6x7 lens designs, you'll see for example that the:

55/3.5 is a scaled-up version of the old 28/3.5 SMCT

75/4.5 a scaled-up version of the classic 35/3.5 SMCT -with even better reputation than the takumar-

135/4 looks like a scaled-up 100/4 Macro

200/4 looks like a scaled-up 135/3.5 SMCT

I'm sure there are more...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Apparently, both the camera as well as the lens have seen a fair amount of (professional) use. The camera had been used at a local police station (together with a 2.8/28mm Pentax M lens). The 2.5/200mm came from a different seller - and because it looked quite beaten nobody was really bidding. Camera, motor drive and Pentax 2.5/200mm did cost me < CHF (USD) 100.--. The optics are fine - no scratches, no fungus or haze -, and I really should use it at least sometimes for some potrraits Wink

S

Sounds like a steal to me. Never encountered one of these in The Netherlands.