Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Macroflash 5000
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Macroflash 5000 Reply with quote

Bought this at a second hand shop for 5 dollars.
Weird contrast is from phone camera.

It works, sort of.

Obviously the flash head is not aligned with the optical path.
Shot with the flash set to auto.
I need to look at it and see if there is something on the head that could be tightened up.

Probably more in line with what it was designed for.
Somewhat dusty silk flower at mfd on the 55 micro...

It works, and doesn't fry the circuitry on the D-810.
Usual loose Vivitar fit of the p/c plug onto the camera, which can be easily fixed...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Macroflash 5000 Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

Obviously the flash head is not aligned with the optical path.
Shot with the flash set to auto.
I need to look at it and see if there is something on the head that could be tightened up.

Not sure why you think it is not aligned. From the coins I can see the camera is nowhere near parallel to the table, so obviously the flash' reflection will appear off-center, if that's what you are referring to.

I think these ring-flashes work best at very close macro-distances so you get a bit more side-lighting effect.; for subjects on a flat reflective surface, you want to make sure your subject is small enough (and/or magnified enough) that the circular reflection of the flash falls outside the image area. Unless the halo is the effect you are looking for Wink

Good find for 5 dollars! Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately the quick instruction sheet came with it, and the auto range is 9 1/2" to 36".
The mfd on the 55 micro just happens to be 9 1/2".
That lens distance is from the film/image plane.
The flash distance is probably meant to be calculated from the flash head surface.
There is quite a bit of loose play and slop on the flash unit against the lens mount.
At any rate, next use with the flash will be on manual. It shouldn't be too difficult to sort out- the G/N is 5.

I tried a "normal" shot with it at about 6 feet, and it vignettes heavily.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A manual ring flash is certainly better than nothing, I also played around with a similar thing in the beginning.
In the end, however, I opted for the right camera-specific system ring flash with the appropriate automatic exposure control, which then also provides excellent services for insect hunting outside, for example; since the first shot must always be OK, because you never know if there will be a 2nd chance. The main advantage is the very short exposure time with a rather closed aperture for best DOF; i.e. there is no risk for camera shake at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Thomas.

Definitely something to think about.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Thanks for the input, Thomas.

Definitely something to think about.

-D.S.

You're welcome. Just investigated a little bit. You are on the lucky side with your Nikon equipment: There are some automatic TTL macro ring flashes available for relatively little money.

For me with Sony that was really a major investment. However, as I do a lot of macro this was unavoidable for me, like a macro twin flash as well.

Maybe you should first look what's better for you. Both ring and twin flashes have their merits but for serious macro shootings there is no better option, particularly when you intend to shoot hand held.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

For me with Sony that was really a major investment.

No kidding, the discontinued SONY twin flash (and even better & fully compatible brilliant Minolta MFC1000/ twin flash 2400 & ring flash 1200 combo) are serious money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
tb_a wrote:

For me with Sony that was really a major investment.

No kidding, the discontinued SONY twin flash (and even better & fully compatible brilliant Minolta MFC1000/ twin flash 2400 & ring flash 1200 combo) are serious money.

Whom are you telling? Wink

I've got both, the Minolta Macro Ring Flash 1200 AND the Sony Macro Twin Flash Kit HVL-MT24AM.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this ring flash have a variable power setting? If your flash has a variable power setting, try dialing it down a notch or two. Looks like your main problem wtth the coins is overexposure. I use flashes not meant for use with digital cameras that have a manual power setting and I can almost always dial in a correct exposure level that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Does this ring flash have a variable power setting? If your flash has a variable power setting, try dialing it down a notch or two. Looks like your main problem wtth the coins is overexposure. I use flashes not meant for use with digital cameras that have a manual power setting and I can almost always dial in a correct exposure level that way.

No way. There isn't any power setting on this Vivitar ring flash. Just on/off and test buttons visible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the power on and test switches:

...and an A/M "switch" on the front.

I agree it over-exposes that close to the subject.
For now, it will do. Plenty of stop-down left.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position of the auto sensor wouldn't work for very close-up subjects anyway.

A useful good find for 5 dollars, but I think Vivitar are stretching the definition of an (auto) macro flash a bit here Wink

ND filter on the lens as a quick solution if you run out of/don't want further stop-down?