Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

dissamble canon FD 85 1.2L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: dissamble canon FD 85 1.2L Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm trying to fix my broken FD 85/1.2L.
I got the same problem like in trifox's post here :

-> forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-85-f1-2-l-balls-everywhere-t37537,highlight,+balls.html

I'm stuck at the broken bearing ring but stell need to digg deeper as the aperture bracket is loose too, the focus ring is still scraping/ blocking and there is metal debri between the diaf and the front lenses.

So has somebody some experience to dissamble this lens totally ?
I'm really stuck and even canon service centers don't seem to have service manuals anymore for this lens.
How to get to the aperture ring itself from the back ?
How the remove the 3rd lens from the front and dissamble the lens like trifox did ?
any help or suggestions are welcome Wink
Txs
Steve

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20118/4640_DSC00807small_1.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disassembled my FD 85/1.2L not completly, but to some extend because I want to make the conversion full reversible.

Here my German description - not sure if it is absolute correct, and not sure if I get deeper than you:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon-FD_85_1.2L-EF-Bajonett-Umbau.html

Isn´t the 3. lens from the front easily to disassemble from the front - I see you have a improvised spanner wrench.

Old big calipers are probably better:

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/kamera-reparatur-werkzeug.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txs for the repley,

My improvised spanner wrench is indeed not so good but it got the first 2 rings off without any problems. The strange things is the 3rd ring doesn't have those 2cuts to use the spanner wrench with and they are far to deep and thin to use the rubber tire piece ( i tried trust me !)

I already found your site about the conversion before but german isn't my thing dude Wink Nice work for shure Wink
I still use a cheapo FD-EF convertor that I modified to get some better performance.

Anyway, it seem like that in trifox's post he got the focus ring/front of before he even got to the aperture blades. How did he do that Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bossi wrote:
How did he do that Wink

Ask him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Google Chrome as your browser it will automatically ask if you want a page translating. It's not 100% accurate, but good enough to understand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've returned back from hols --

Please do not try to disassembly from the front..

Once bearing balls are out of the ring -- the lens is damaged and chance to get it back is close to ZERO..

Give me a few hrs ...

tf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally had some time to handle this lens again, what a b*tch !!!
The good thing is , all balls are back where they should be, focus ring is back smooth again, aperture blades smooth and fast.
And I adjusted the focus to abit over infinity point.
The only thing what's not seems to been working is the aperture set lever. When I put the lens on the camera it takes the settings whats on the aperture ring and doesn't go full open, need to check this again , any tips ?

I also found a copy of the exploded view with parts number, not helpfull in dissambly/assembly but if somebody wants it give me a shout.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! I found this post and I think you could be my saviours! Very Happy
I have this lens and bought 2 different FD to Nex adapters but with both of them when I turn focus ring to infinity my lens focuses at about 5-6 meters. Beautiful images but I can't get further.

With the same adapters I am able to focus infinity with a 50mm FD lens so I don't think it is something related to adapters.
The lens make the click noise when attached, and it seems to be attached firmly. The shots are sharp but infinity equals to 6 meters
I tested that at about 0.85meters (the shortest focus) it focuses objects at around 80centimeters, but to focus objects at 2.5meters I have to turn the ring on about 5 meters.

An object at a distance of 5 meters focuses when I turn the ring on infinity. Every object past 5 meters are out of focus.

I've calibrated infinity on a tamron sp 35-210 (by turning top lens element), disassembled and cleaned many zuiko lenses and a 50mm fd lens. Never tried to open this 85mm diamond, I hope it is not necessary to mess everything to reach the right screw to calibrate infinity... How could I do that? Could you please tell me what to do or link any useful guide?

I thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody! After some years I still have that problem... and haven't find any solution yet. Could you give me some hint please?

thank you very much!

andy_it wrote:
Hi all! I found this post and I think you could be my saviours! Very Happy
I have this lens and bought 2 different FD to Nex adapters but with both of them when I turn focus ring to infinity my lens focuses at about 5-6 meters. Beautiful images but I can't get further.

With the same adapters I am able to focus infinity with a 50mm FD lens so I don't think it is something related to adapters.
The lens make the click noise when attached, and it seems to be attached firmly. The shots are sharp but infinity equals to 6 meters
I tested that at about 0.85meters (the shortest focus) it focuses objects at around 80centimeters, but to focus objects at 2.5meters I have to turn the ring on about 5 meters.

An object at a distance of 5 meters focuses when I turn the ring on infinity. Every object past 5 meters are out of focus.

I've calibrated infinity on a tamron sp 35-210 (by turning top lens element), disassembled and cleaned many zuiko lenses and a 50mm fd lens. Never tried to open this 85mm diamond, I hope it is not necessary to mess everything to reach the right screw to calibrate infinity... How could I do that? Could you please tell me what to do or link any useful guide?

I thank you very much!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity adjustment should be under the focussing rubber

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Infinity adjustment should be under the focussing rubber

Hi Zonev! there is no rubber I can look underneath...

Thanks for your help... I am happy to receive any other suggestion Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDn 85mm 1.2L - a bit of struggle!

I found this forum when searching for any kind of help, schematics, etc. On the FDn 85mm 1.2L, I just bought one, I took it apart for cleaning and de-clicking (just removing the little cylinder running in the plastic aperture grove). Going further just out of curiously/stupidity I lifted the metal ring covering the bearings and they got lost all over the place; stupid stupid me! I just feel so sad now, been looking for this lens for years, and now I am afraid I broke it even before having the pleasure of using it even one time. If there is any way you would like to help me I would appreciate it so much!

So I now have what it seems, two problems.
1. The focus gets stuck at 2.5m, cant turn the focus ring more than that, possibly one of the balls in the way somewhere, but can´t get anything out. Perhaps it could also be one of the springs running around the aperture control circle, it seems unreasonably loose.
2. When reassembling all goes well until the last step of turning the back piece to match the two red dots, it get stuck on half the turn, can´t say why.

I have not made any disassembly on the front elements. I have removed the rubber on the focus ring but not knowing if it is a really bad idea to unscrew the infinity adjustments screws, I stopped there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aright, after being up almost all night looking for more info on the web I found useful info and pictures of the parts taken apart here:
http://forum.computergames.ro/72-foto/841641-inside-canon-fd-85mm-1-1-2-l.html (you have to register to view the picture in full size)

So I went on to take off the focusing ring and screwed the upper and lower apart. Have removed a couple of balls that was blocking things up, fixed the ball-bearing and mounted the ring above that to secure it. All movement is now smooth and reaches all the way. Next problem I have been trying to fix the last two hours is the alignment of the screw threads of the upper, focusing and lower part to get the parts together correctly. I understand what positions of the barrel I want to reach (using photos before taking apart as reference), but I find it almost impossible to find the correct starting point the threads to make it come to the right position in the end.

Do you have any ideas of where to look or method to go with? I sure am hoping Canon used some kind of fixed method for aligning them up in manufacturing and not spending hours just guessing and failing like I do now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Apfeck!

Excellent research results.

Do you refer to the helical threads for focus? Yes, there are many starting positions. If you didn't mark the one, then you'll need to try all of them to find it. Tedious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes I realised that was the only way out, Made a three part referens system with markings for:
1. Where the silver part should end on the front: to allow infinity focus but not over + where it then need to start on the threads.
2. Where the mount-part should end on the silver part to allow infinite focus and end lock at the right place + where it then need to start on the threads.
3. Where on the silver part the mount part should be when starting to screw the two brass lines into the barrel-holes.

Took me yesterday messing around and8 hours today to achieve perfect result.

Stripped out the whole aperture lock-switch, with spring and ball bearings, and the clicking-cylinder, and now have perfect working smooth manual aperture control.

Last edited by Apfeck on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Apfeck"]Oh yes I realised that was the only way out, Made a three part referens system with markings for:
1. Where the silver part should end on the front: to allow infinity focus but not over + where it then need to start on the threads.
2. Where the mount-part should end on the silver part to allow infinite focus and end lock at the right place + where it then need to start on the threads.
3. Where on the silver part the mount part should be when starting to screw the two brass lines into the barrel-holes.

Took me yesterday messing around and8 hours today to achieve perfect result.

Stripped out the whole aperture lock-switch, with spring and ball bearings, and the clicking-cylinder, and now have perfect working smooth manual aperture control.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Apfeck! Thank you so much for your posts!
I'd like to ask you what are the steps I should make to set infinity... My 85mm works pretty well but I tested that at about 0.85meters (the shortest focus) it focuses objects at around 80centimeters, but to focus objects at 2.5meters I have to turn the ring on about 5 meters.
An object at a distance of 5 meters focuses when I turn the ring on infinity. Every object past 5 meters are out of focus then. This has nothing to do with the adapter, as it does the same on a fullframe film camera.

I really appreciate your help, many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfeck wrote:

I found this forum when searching for any kind of help, schematics, etc. On the FDn 85mm 1.2L, I just bought one, I took it apart for cleaning and de-clicking (just removing the little cylinder running in the plastic aperture grove). Going further just out of curiously/stupidity I lifted the metal ring covering the bearings and they got lost all over the place; stupid stupid me! I just feel so sad now, been looking for this lens for years, and now I am afraid I broke it even before having the pleasure of using it even one time. If there is any way you would like to help me I would appreciate it so much!

1. The focus gets stuck at 2.5m, cant turn the focus ring more than that, possibly one of the balls in the way somewhere, but can´t get anything out. Perhaps it could also be one of the springs running around the aperture control circle, it seems unreasonably loose.
2. When reassembling all goes well until the last step of turning the back piece to match the two red dots, it get stuck on half the turn, can´t say why.

I have not made any disassembly on the front elements. I have removed the rubber on the focus ring but not knowing if it is a really bad idea to unscrew the infinity adjustments screws, I stopped there.

Hi Apfeck

I am at the same point that you were when reassembling the back piece to match the two red dots.
I can turn it only half way and also can't say why.

How did you solve that problem then?

Thanks for any replies
Sven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi svenru,

I'm also at the same point you were at last year. Did you ever figure out how to meet the two red dots?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfeck wrote:

Hi! I have the same problem you had, do you have any pictures or info of your repair method ? thank you!