Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dollonds 300mm f4.5??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Dollonds 300mm f4.5?? Reply with quote

This came bundled with my recently acquired Meyer 180mm and it really wasn't something I had looked into before the purchase. Since I got it I tried to find some info on it but have come up with nothing on the web. Just wondering if anyone has any idea who the maker was or any interesting info on it?

From what I found Dollonds was a shop name so I thought it would be a fairly cheap and nasty lens but it is remarkably well built and from the single infinity test shot I did before the rain hit has some potential to make some nice images.

It seems to have an odd aperture ring I have not come across before which can switch the rotational direction of the aperture stepping. Not sure why it would have this feature.

Anyway, here's some pics of it.

These are the different coloured aperture numbers when the direction is changed.

Here is a quick shot I did to test infinity with some clouds

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen lenses where the auto aperture settings turn one way and manual the other, but this one seems to have an a/m swittch, so perhaps not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
I've seen lenses where the auto aperture settings turn one way and manual the other, but this one seems to have an a/m switch, so perhaps not?

Its a weird one, I only noticed it did this because on using the aperture ring I thought it had some play in it. Then I realised it pushes up/ forward towards the front of the lens and if you rotated it while it is pushed up it changed the direction of the aperture stepping.
Kind of similar movement to the way the single ring Meyer Optik 135, 200 and 300mm preset aperture rings do to lock in the preset limit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollonlds is a store brand according to http://forum.mflenses.com/store-brand-compendium-t83460.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Dollonlds is a store brand according to http://forum.mflenses.com/store-brand-compendium-t83460.html

Yes I had discovered it was a store brand before buying it but that was a far as I looked into it pre purchase, my eye was on the Primotar that came with it. Now I'm trying to dig up some info on it and have seen several Dollonds branded lenses about being discussed but the 300mm f4.5 does not seem to be one of them.
I can't find a single reference to it anywhere, must not have sold many.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dollond name has been associated with optics in the UK for a loooooong time, as far back as the 1750's. D&A opticians, which existed until 2009, originally stood for "Dollond and Aitchison."
There were some early folders called "Dollond Owls," and D&A did later use an owl as their logo, so the bloodline appears the same.

By the 1970's D&H seem to have been out of the camera game and were focusing solely on eyewear, so I wonder if rather than being specifically a store brand like Focal (Kmart), it was a brand that was acquired by an independent importer/rebrander a la Spira in the U.S. or Hanimex in Australia.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No relation to Dolland Optics AFAIK. Dollonds was a camera store (chain in 1970s iirc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, that would make sense given the age of the lens. Thanks for the clarification!

visualopsins wrote:
No relation to Dolland Optics AFAIK. Dollonds was a camera store (chain in 1970s iirc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a little more sleuthing, it looks like a lot of the Dollonds lenses were Tokinas, which might explain the 2-way aperture on this one. Sasquatch: I suspect if you turn the silver ring near the base, you may discover that this has a modified T4 mount underneath.

Compare this lens: https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/446-dollonds-auto-tele-200mm-f-3-5-22

The aperture would go both directions so it could be used in whatever direction was typical of the camera-side mount that was attached at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Dollonds branded lenses, one is my 135 / 2.8 of the same style as this 300 / 4.5. And I believe the same interchangeable mount.

I'm of the opinion the lens is a Tokina, which has a lot in common with this Tokina Tele-Auto 135 2.8 with a slightly different interchangeable mount.

The other lens is a Dollonds - S 200 / 3.5, which is more commonly seen as a Vivitar and sometimes as Aicoset. I also think this lens is a Tokina but others think it's a Kino / Kiron ? The only similarity is the straight knurl finish on the focus ring.

From the research I did a while ago Dollonds were a high end optical shop in central London that sold all types of camera lenses, including ones for plate cameras etc, along with binoculars and telescopes. It appears the Dollonds shop continued for some time after becoming part of the Dollonds & Aitcheson brand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
From the research I did a while ago Dollonds were a high end optical shop in central London that sold all types of camera lenses, including ones for plate cameras etc, along with binoculars and telescopes. It appears the Dollonds shop continued for some time after becoming part of the Dollonds & Aitcheson brand.

Thank you! Lloydy! It is your previous research I recalled.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the additional info everyone!
BrianSVP wrote:
Doing a little more sleuthing, it looks like a lot of the Dollonds lenses were Tokinas, which might explain the 2-way aperture on this one. Sasquatch: I suspect if you turn the silver ring near the base, you may discover that this has a modified T4 mount underneath.

Compare this lens: https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/446-dollonds-auto-tele-200mm-f-3-5-22

The aperture would go both directions so it could be used in whatever direction was typical of the camera-side mount that was attached at the time.

Yep, that looks pretty close to me down to the mount. Excellent sleuthing Brian!

Lloydy wrote:
I have two Dollonds branded lenses, one is my 135 / 2.8 of the same style as this 300 / 4.5. And I believe the same interchangeable mount.

Yes very similar in style and as you say mount. They definitely look like decent glass and although heavy this 300/4.5 handles well and has pretty good IQ, how is your 135mm in that regard?

Here are a few test shots from the back garden and about the house.
@f4.5

Center 100%

Corner 100%

@f8

100% crop

Full stack of ext tubes@4.5 and about 50% cropped

DenoiseAi processed (just to see)

Full stack of ext tubes @f8

100% crop

Wide open it has some fringing for sure but that largely disappears stopped down to f8.
I can get the MFD down from 7 meters to around two meters with a full set of ext tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 200 looks very good, I like the shots you've got with it.

The 135 / 2.8 isn't bad at all, but I seem to have very few pictures taken with it. Here's a few, no PP other than JPEG +Sized. They were taken late afternoon on a wet and miserable December day - Sony A7II.

ISO 1000

ISO 500

ISO 1000

ISO 500

The center crop shown no CA, and there's nothing at the edges either. I'm surprised.