Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photos by my mother
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Photos by my mother Reply with quote

I start this thread that I will use from time to time to add photos made by my mother when she was photographing (in the 60s).

She made several photos, I was about her only subject. She took part to some photo contest at the time and she told me she won prizes sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason why I start with this picture, it's just the first one that I happened to scan:

My parents used to develop and print in-house. They surely used cheap materials and this is probably the reason why many of the prints are in bad condition now. Many seem to have lost the blacks, like the lower part of this picture. I will try to restore the prints, because unfortunately I have no negative left.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't publish what she made LOL, I was one of the hardest subject ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
There is no reason why I start with this picture, it's just the first one that I happened to scan:

My parents used to develop and print in-house. They surely used cheap materials and this is probably the reason why many of the prints are in bad condition now. Many seem to have lost the blacks, like the lower part of this picture. I will try to restore the prints, because unfortunately I have no negative left.

Oh my god, you have to be like 93 now. Surprised

Sweet picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In style like many top rated photographers doing. You mothers seems really talented in this area I suggest to continue to her. Perhaps you can make together again many funny hours with photography. Ask her to re-start again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture is world class.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image blows me away with its classical composition, yet unique and intricate "feel" for the conditions of rain and glass. The angular aspect of the sills adds highly to the overall emotion of the image. The little "clear spot" with your face looking through it is spectacular.

This is a magnificent work, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the quality of materials and stuff. The picture's quality is what counts and these (both) are just perfect and I like them very much. This one (from this thread) is my favourite. Congratulations Smile

PS. We've got here home more than 500 diapositives but no lab want's to scan them (only entire film rolls) Sad All the dias (colour ORWO slides) were made in the second half of the '80 and a little in the beginning of the '90.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb and classic!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! My mum would be very happy of your comments.

Now I reveal you a "backstage".

This photo was made on the set of this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283104/

The director, Camillo Bazzoni, was a schoolmate of my mother and very friends with her. He went to Rome with his brother to learn cinema, and came back to shoot three short movies here in my home town.
HE took with him, a young guy from Rome, who was just starting in cinema. He taught him all the secret of cinematography (as in light set up). The young guy was called Vittorio Storaro, and became very famous some years later, winning three Oscar awards for cinematography (for Apocalypse Now, Reds and The Last Emperor).
My family is still friends with him and every now and then, he comes up here to visit.
At the time (we are speaking of March 1966), I was 4 years old and obviously not understanding very much of film making. We were staying there for whole days to shoot, inside this old hotel that was breaking down in pieces.
My mother was the scene photographer, she had to photograph the actors and the set at every scene. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those photos, because the director kept them all.
I was a very quiet child, I was able to sit for hours and just watch without disturbing. I was taught of course that I should not make any noise. But obviously, after a while, I must have gotten bored too. My mother must have caught me in a boredom moment. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a talent for photography is genetically inherited!

Great shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Perhaps a talent for photography is genetically inherited!

Thanks Richard. I wish I had my parent's talent, but I don't. But I surely always wanted to do what they were doing. Watching them photographing and filming, the lights, the prints hanged to dry... the Zeiss camera mostly! Which now I have Smile I was really wanting so much to be like them. This feeling I remember very well from those days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very atypical and unusual photo! I can see where you got your talent, Orio!

Any pics of you on a bearskin rug in front of a lit fireplace?: Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Very atypical and unusual photo! I can see where you got your talent, Orio!
Any pics of you on a bearskin rug in front of a lit fireplace?: Laughing
Bill

Actually, I remember a photo of me baby naked on the bed Laughing But it's a lifetime I don't see it, I wonder where it ended.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it is on the Internet, somewhere. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot, Orio.

Even with the chemical dagradation you mention, the shot is superb!.
A pity that you don't have the negatives.

Thanks for sharing.
Jes.